Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I do this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Ok,
Can I do this, has it been done?

I need to weld up an oval hole in the passenger side suspension console, and I really dont want to drop the motor.

So, here is my thought.
Can I remove the wheel, remove the rear shock, remove the brake line, and ebrake...and whatever else is attached to the trailing arm.
Then slide a wrench up in to the inside bolt and somehow get it to magically come off without the need for an impact gun...
then take the three bolts off the outside, and drop the whole arm...leaving the axle attached...no need to move that...I dont think..

Then, after I cover everything with protective leather..weld the hole, ream it to the correct size, and re-assemble?

I know that taking the motor out is a 1-2 hour jobs, and not a really huge deal, but I figure I will need to remove all the stuff I mentioned anyways...so if I can save the motor removal piece...think its possible??

Rich
URY914
I took the nut off and welded a grade 8 washer of the correct diameter onto the ear. I did this with the engine out but it was the easiest way I could come up with.
r_towle
all done...

dropped, welded and put back in..

A piece of copper behind it protected the valve cover..and I had plenty of time to heat it up...
Ground it smooth and drilled...

It was all ready for me after dinner..I had it ready to go, just needed to find the courage...
All done, and nothing exploded...so I had a good day..

Rich
URY914
Glad I could help biggrin.gif
Allan
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2007, 06:20 PM) *

all done...

A piece of copper behind it protected the valve cover..and I had plenty of time to heat it up...

It was all ready for me after dinner..I had it ready to go, just needed to find the courage...

Rich

You're a pretty bright guy.

What you did is "BRILLIANT"!!!!!!!
r_towle
QUOTE(Headrage @ Apr 23 2007, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2007, 06:20 PM) *

all done...

Rich

You're a pretty bright guy.

What you did is "BRILLIANT"!!!!!!!

Personally I consider it lazy...but it got the job done.
I will remove the engine in a couple of weeks to redo this, and add some plating on the front side to prevent it from happening again.
I dont think that pictures would help me get into the safety hall of fame..
but, like I said prior..nothing exploded..I can put the wheels on and drive it out..if you catch my drift..
For now, its the right size hole again.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.