Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on a tight fitting engine case....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike373
Well.... I am finally at the point of installing my crank and cam into the case.....but I have a concern. The case halves push together pretty easy until the last 1/4 inch...then it gets really tight and needs to be banged together via wood block and hammer to snug up. Mind you....this is without the cam and crank. I am worried that the bearings on the opposing side might pop out of place during the banging of the case halves together. I already polished up the alighnment pins with steel wool to get them all nice and clean. Any suggestions?????

Mike
r_towle
I find them snug, but nothing that a firm smack with my hand wont overcome..

Pull it apart, and look at all the studs, and the corospondine holes that they go it ...look for corrosion in the holes, and bent studs.

Rich
mike373
Do you think the opposing side cam or main bearings can me misaligned with the banging of the case halves together? And would there be something to bind the bearings halves to the other case half?

Mike
r_towle
The bearings are held in place by both the bearing alignment pin, and some serious friction.
If your bearings are the correct size, the will not fall out, even if you hold it upside down and bang it many times...
The cam bearings are not as tight, but they to hold under banging...

I assemble/dry fit just the bearings anyways to make sure everything will torque up correctly with empty bearings...so you will find out during that step...

Rich
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mike373 @ Apr 23 2007, 05:50 PM) *

Well.... I am finally at the point of installing my crank and cam into the case.....but I have a concern. The case halves push together pretty easy until the last 1/4 inch...then it gets really tight and needs to be banged together via wood block and hammer to snug up. Mind you....this is without the cam and crank. I am worried that the bearings on the opposing side might pop out of place during the banging of the case halves together. I already polished up the alighnment pins with steel wool to get them all nice and clean. Any suggestions?????

Mike

Mike,
Do the checks for straight head studs and such as advised. One of the things to watch out for is that the cam bearing will rotate slightly and you will break off a corner of the cam tower when you try to torque it down. I suspect this is not your problem as you are having trouble getting the case halves together without the crank and cam. The cure for this is to set the cam in place with all of the bearings in place and using a wood dowel and a hammer tap it a few times lightly to get the bearing clearanced a bit. Jake told me this. So WORD!
Rob
brer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2007, 05:55 PM) *

I find them snug, but nothing that a firm smack with my hand wont overcome..

Me too!

mueba.gif
Matt Romanowski
Sounds like your case is not straight. You need to check the bearing bores to find out if case is straight. Check them for ovality and size.

If you don't have access to a bore gauge, use a straight edge and feeler gauges. You'll need real thin - from .001 up to about .003. Lay the straight edge in the main bearing saddles and see if you can get the feeler gauges under it anywhere. If you can, time for an align bore - call Boston Engine Rebuilders and talk to Bob.
mike373
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Apr 23 2007, 07:43 PM) *

Sounds like your case is not straight. You need to check the bearing bores to find out if case is straight. Check them for ovality and size.

If you don't have access to a bore gauge, use a straight edge and feeler gauges. You'll need real thin - from .001 up to about .003. Lay the straight edge in the main bearing saddles and see if you can get the feeler gauges under it anywhere. If you can, time for an align bore - call Boston Engine Rebuilders and talk to Bob.

The case has been checked by my machinist. All bearing bores are good and do not need an align bore.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.