Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what book is best for a type iv engine rebuild?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
I am buying a 1.7 engine, $50 and thinking of rebuilding to a 2056, but want some basic knowledge, thinking of a book, any ideas? I have done engine rebuilds, justnot type IVs, thanks
r_towle
I think that Jakes video will be very helpful showing you how to take it apart, and then put it back together..

There are several books, none really cover the type4 motor to well,
Also, get a haynes manual..

Rich
McMark
There is nothing out there that is THOROUGH. But recommendation #1 is Jake's video. It covers all the bullet points and shows you all the basic tricks.
Dave_Darling
Three resources that are my faves:
- Jake's video. Shows what happens when there are no real surprises, and when you have a very good team of machine shop elves making everything magically clean and in spec.
- The Haynes manual. Has 85%+ of the content of the factory service manuals (including all of the torque specs), for under $20. Tough to beat the value/dollar ratio there!
- Tom Wilson's "How To Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine". Specifically addresses the 914, which is very nice. Talks about all of the things that the machine shop elves may have to do to your parts. The cam/crank indexing bit is confusing, though--ask for help when you get to there!

If you've never done more than check your oil before, John Muir's VW "Idiot Book" will tell you what's going on in the most basic and understandable terms. Not everything he says is appropriate for the 914, mind you, but a lot of the information does apply to some extent. And it gets a whole lot of the general concepts through in an enjoyable and very understandable way.

And, of course, there is this forum and the other 914 (and Type IV engine!) forums on the Net...

--DD
Jake Raby
Thanks guys!
That original video is now 8 years olod and has helped thousands of TIV engines run again. we made it to be very simple and very procedural.

You'll like the videos I have been working on at the present, but I haven't touched them in months now- been too damn busy!
cuca914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 23 2007, 08:10 PM) *

If you've never done more than check your oil before, John Muir's VW "Idiot Book" will tell you what's going on in the most basic and understandable terms. Not everything he says is appropriate for the 914, mind you, but a lot of the information does apply to some extent. And it gets a whole lot of the general concepts through in an enjoyable and very understandable way.

--DD

Is this the book you're referring to? I did a search on Amazon.

"How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive 19 Ed: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot"
r_towle
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 11:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 23 2007, 08:10 PM) *

--DD

"How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive 19 Ed: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot"

This is a must have must read book.
Really helps out understanding as Dave says, also lots of great stories, and how to get home kinda thinking...

Rich
srthompson01
I have a genuine porsche 914 shop manual on cd in pdf form, I haven't checked out how thorough the rebuild section is but I can mail you a copy if you want.

bye1.gif
cuca914
QUOTE(srthompson01 @ Apr 23 2007, 10:25 PM) *

I have a genuine porsche 914 shop manual on cd in pdf form, I haven't checked out how thorough the rebuild section is but I can mail you a copy if you want.

bye1.gif

I'm interested! I'll send you a PM.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(srthompson01 @ Apr 23 2007, 10:25 PM) *

bye1.gif

I'm interested! I'll send you a PM.

me too! i'm about to start a teardown on a 2.0 smile.gif
McMark
The factory manual is pretty much useless for teardown and building how-to's. It's got lots of info about checking things to be in spec, but there is not much "Do step 1, then do step 2, then do step 3" kinds of things. Remember the factory manuals are written to guide factory trained techs. And those guys should already know how to build a motor. wink.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Apr 23 2007, 07:43 PM) *

Dat's de wan! biggrin.gif

Although I think it was spelled "Compleat Idiot". wink.gif

--DD
cuca914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 23 2007, 11:35 PM) *
Dat's de wan! biggrin.gif

Although I think it was spelled "Compleat Idiot". wink.gif

--DD

You are correct - it was spelled "Compleat" but I thought it was a typo. Amazon is selling this book with Tom Wilson's book for approx. $32. I think I'll be ordering.
Mid_Engine_914
This book is worth having too.

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/links.htm

IPB Image

"All About Performance VW Engines, Part II by the editors of HotVWs magazine - Although a majority of this special issue is Type 1 based, there are two Type 4 articles. One introduces the Type 4 engine to the uninforimed reader. The other is following along with FAT Performance as they build a 2813cc Type 4 desert race engine."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.