Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhausting questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I have a set of 2L stainless steel heat exchangers that came off of a parts car. They are in good shape except for the flange’s that bolts to the muffler. The flange’s are made of mild steel and are rusted bad and must be replaced. Is there a reason why every thing is SS but these flanges? How hard would be to make new ones out of stainless? Making them out of mild steel would be no problem for me, but I’ve never used stainless before.

Also how hard would it be to make a muffler or header out of stainless? Has anyone done this? How good are the Dansk mufflers? I can get stainless parts here’s one source:
Mark Henry
Could figure out how to edit my post. Here is that stainless tube source:

http://www.burnsstainless.com/
Bleyseng
Here is a pic of the Mittlemotor Stainless muffler. It's supposed to add 3-4 hp and sound nice. Price around $350. This is the only stainless muffler I know of right now.
Geoff cool.gif
Brad Roberts
Send them to me.

The last ones made with mild steel flanges for the mufflers went out the door in early 1978.

I would say...somebody got some use out of them.

For a very minimal fee.. we can weld the later flanges on them.

SSI C/O Brad Roberts
20 Pamaron Way
Novato, Ca. 94949
DuckRyder
Brad, can you replace the flanges on non ssi or non-stainless exchangers as well?

Mark, I'm reasonably impressed with the dansk muffler, it seems to be a nicely made part.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mark Henry
Here’s a shot of my exchangers, are they SSI? I don’t know if you got my email Brad, shipping from Canada and back is going to be like $200. I was wondering if you would just sell the flanges? How much?
Could you also tell me how much if I did send them to you for repair?
Shoot me an email with the $ figures, Thanks.

That Mittlemotor muffler doesn’t look much more than a tube with a couple of flanges and a tail pipe. I know it must have a baffle in it as well. Does anyone have one? I want to know how it sounds, I don’t want loud.

DuckRyder the Dansk unit looks OK, how much did it cost you? I know that it’s regular steel, is the tip just chromed.
Does anyone have one on? How’s the sound? Stock? How’s it holding up?

Thanks for the info, this new BBS is great, Mark
DuckRyder
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 8 2003, 06:56 PM)
DuckRyder the Dansk unit looks OK, how much did it cost you? I know that it’s regular steel, is the tip just chromed.

It's mild steel. I belive the tip is Stainless the color just doesn't really look right for chrome. I can't swear to it.

Obviously I don't have one one, but I'm hoping it is quiet. Its pretty heavy I think durability will be good.

Cost was about 215.00 after a "previous order discount" from Performance. (pelican Didn't list one and that was the only other place I knew about.) took several months to get.

HTH.
Brad Roberts
I need to check today (Thursday) for the flanges. We tig weld everything, so I'm not sure if they will weld to Carbon steel or not. I was going to charge you 40$ total for the flanges and the welding.

Those things are very very old.

B
Bleyseng
I have not heard the Mittlemotor muffler although a couple of people on PP have bought one. For sound, the Triad muffler sounds the best comparing stock banana, Bursch and Triad. The Triad has a nice quiet low sound more like a six than a VW. The Triad is not stainless but pretty heavy gauge steel that lasts along time. Brad and DD were able to see and hear the Triad when we were at JP's recently. I am curious to see what they think.
It would be great if SSI made a stainless muffler to go with the SSI HE's. Even dreaming more, how about adding 5 hp!
Geoff ar15.gif boldblue.gif
Brad Roberts
I warmed up the muffler project yesterday at SSI. Soon. Hang in there, dont sell your 914's yet. SSI will have a 914 replacement muffler that looks just like the factory one.

Did I hear a Triad ??

B
DuckRyder
I'd be all over that 40.00 to replace the flanges if possible. (heck, I'd pay double that)

Can't wait to see the muffler, that would be great if it looked like stock and was SLIGHTLY louder and more "autoritive" (sp?)
Bleyseng
Yeah Brad at JP's, when Eric Fry, Dave Ellison and I were leaving we went out to Dave E's car to hear it run and look at the carb linkage he sells.
Damn, I knew you had a few but not that many!
Geoff
Brad Roberts
I was looking at the carbs. I do NOW recall what it sounded like.

The SSI muffler.. will be slightly louder than stock. We are trying to figure out how to muffle the muffler without packing it.. more like a Flowmaster with sound cancellation.

Gang. I have not been to the shop in 2 days. I still need to see if we have any flanges.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.