Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping weight of a transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
OK, anyone know what the weight of a transmisson is with
no starter and the trans fluid drained?? Trying to figure out
shipping for someone that bought my side shift trans.

No scale in our house, no need for one. I know I'm a.... well
.... too short for my weight..... blink.gif givemebeer.gif

- Garold
skline
I would guess at around 85 pounds
seanery
hey man, i'll take my scale out to the garage tomorrow and weigh a side shifter for ya.
Joe Bob
English or european?
MarkV
I had one shipped from Texas to AZ a few months ago. IIRC it was around 95 lbs, double boxed. It shipped UPS ground for $70.
SteveSr
I just bought one from a guy in Phoeinix Az.,had it shipped to Michigan City In.
Cost me $115.I think it was about 95lbs......

Steve driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
Steve,

How was it shipped??

Garold
brant
I've shipped about 6 of them total.
depending upon the boxing they are 70 - 90 lbs usually.
My best tranny shipping story is:

when I was visiting san francisco last august. A guy from Craig's list gave me a tranny for free. I had nothing to loose so I put it on a 15inch by 28inch piece of 1/4 plywood. Laid the whole thing onto a big piece of cardboard. Wrapped the cardboard over the top and went round-round with the packing tape.

carried it into the post office right there in the city. No frills/no extra insurance.... cost was $25 to ship it to colorado....

ha..
brant
Pnambic
If you can bring it over to LaPorte (through the snow) tomorrow, I can get it weighed for ya.
smile.gif

I bought one almost a year ago and shipping, via Forward Air, from Cali to Indy was about $75 I think. Can't remember how much it weighed.
Red-Beard
If you can get it to Forward Air, you can strap it to a pallet and ship it vitually anywhere in the country for $45. The buyer has to pick it up at another forward air location.
Gint
My internal scale (calibrated after a 6 pack, ha!) would guess that an empty transaxle sans starter is around 75 pounds.
GaroldShaffer
If you can bring it over to LaPorte (through the snow) tomorrow, I can get it weighed for ya.

Thanks but no need. He wants to come pick it up. Long drive
if you ask me, Warren Mich to Portage ~ 4 hours according
to map quest confused24.gif

Thanks guys beer.gif

Garold
Joe Bob
Maybe he's married with children, they are driving him batshit and he's tired of arguing about the goddamned new couch she just ordered and he needs an excuse for a road trip......

Wait....that's me..... headbang.gif
brant
if its reasonably close (the 4 hours you describe).... then greyhound is another great option.

2 weeks ago I sent a tranny by greyhound to Allen Johnsen in grandjunction... (Its in-state but about a 4 hour drive for me)

I had to drop off the plastic crate at the bus depot, and he had to go to the depot to pick it up... but it delivered the same day for 35 bucks...

The most I've ever paid to ship a tranny was from N.Carolina to Colorado in a big box (ups) with axles and shift linkage thrown in for extra weight... still it was only $75 that time.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.