Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 1 week till we "Blow it up!"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
It'll be driving tomorrow!!

Look at that bad boy!!
DAMN thats a lot of work!

We are only .5 day behind schedule at this point and looking good for completion, unless we hit some stupid snag!

before you ask- Those are heads from engine Plus, I didn't mind blowing them to bits and they were pretty much ready to bolt on..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This car can be in the 9 second range on the bottle with a 100 shot!!!

smontanaro
Looks very shiny and very fast. Can't hardly see the engine for all the plumbing! wink.gif What kind of car is it plugged into?

Skip
Jake Raby
55 Spyder replica....
So.Cal.914
That is a beauty, looks like nose bleed acceleration to me.
Chris Pincetich
HOLY Schmidt! beerchug.gif
Out here in California, everybody's talking about how that show "BLOW IT UP" just got cancelled and was replaced with "Build It and Raffle It on 914World.com!"....it's gonna be great. Contact me to arrange delivery.
P.S. for your next project, a 914 shell is REQUIRED biggrin.gif
Andyrew
What trani is that mated to?

CV's??

Im gona guestimate 300-350hp N/A.

Im just curious how your going to hold 450hp down...
jd74914
Wow drooley.gif Are those heads of your/Len's design?
Jake Raby
The heads come from Engine Plus in Germany- I have had them for years..

all our prototypes are too expensive to purposely kill, so we used these to make our big power...

The tranny is based on a Type 1 swing axle and cost more than the engine to build!

That engine is 85% USED parts, even the rings are used!
Toast
Woah!!
Andyrew
What is the trani rated for at a guestimate?

Im just expecting 500hp or more out of my sbc, (depends if I go N/A or a set of turbo's..) and wondering what your using for reliable big power.. I have a lsd 915 in my garage... lol
Jake Raby
This tranny is for drag racing only.. It has a spool in place of the differential and is good for 20 passes at max!
ConeDodger
Oh gosh... I am so proud. I am a very low level sponsor. VERY VERY LOW... Go get 'em Jake!
DBCooper
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 23 2007, 07:43 PM) *

before you ask- Those are heads from engine Plus, I didn't mind blowing them to bits and they were pretty much ready to bolt on..

Cool. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 23 2007, 11:28 PM) *

This tranny is for drag racing only.. It has a spool in place of the differential and is good for 20 passes at max!

That's all? So your strategy is to have Art break within 20 passes?

Jake Raby
The goal is to make between 12-20 passes, thats what the producers want to see...

Any TI based tranny that is set up for drag racing correctly will have a limited life span with an engine putting out this much power

I don't think it'll take 20 passes to break the TI.. The goal the whole time was to make nbig power at lower CR and be faster than Art, the host of the show WILL push Art to keep up with us and that means running the bottle more... Thats when the engine will really start to hurt.

BUT it's all in luck with this competition!
Jake Raby
we did a special on this week's 4th dimension Radio show all abt this build and the show "Blow it up!"...

Download this weeks show through I tunes or this direct download link.
http://www.richchristensen.com/radio/4thdim/BIT.mp3
StratPlayer
Amazing
PinetreePorsche
Ive got 2 reasons to post here. 1) It shouldn't take a run down to page five of the garage to find Jake's name, much less this post, as the date of the beg event nears (how near--Wed or Thurs??). So my post will put it back on p. one for a while. 2) to ask the man, as we must be close to the run--what happened after you (started) put(ting) the motor in the sled? Is it running, and will the front wheels stay on the ground--and if so will it track straight?
If Jake is too busy to answer, anyone who's been at the build site and knows is welcome to answer.
Oh--and for those of us without any access to cable--DO post some of this blow-off on you-know-which-tube, and give us a heads-up here to help us find it!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ May 1 2007, 08:15 AM) *

Ive got 2 reasons to post here. 1) It shouldn't take a run down to page five of the garage to find Jake's name, much less this post, as the date of the beg event nears (how near--Wed or Thurs??). So my post will put it back on p. one for a while. 2) to ask the man, as we must be close to the run--what happened after you (started) put(ting) the motor in the sled? Is it running, and will the front wheels stay on the ground--and if so will it track straight?
If Jake is too busy to answer, anyone who's been at the build site and knows is welcome to answer.
Oh--and for those of us without any access to cable--DO post some of this blow-off on you-know-which-tube, and give us a heads-up here to help us find it!

They are filming now. Jake is knee deep in it.
Joisey
They all have a long day ahead of them. I would have loved to witness it.

9:30-10:30 1st taping
12-1 is 2nd taping
2:30 -3:30 3rd taping
5-6 4th taping
7:30-8:30 5th taping
VaccaRabite
Good luck Jake. I finally got around to listening to last weeks radio show. Hopefully you will be competing today and that you kick ass.

I ain't got no cable TV, so I'll have to settle for innuendo and scuttlebutt.

Zach
restore2seater
Went to Cordova today and I took some pictures of the event. I need to resize and load the pictures so this will take a little while. First one.

Click to view attachment
restore2seater
The second pic is of Brent glueing in what I think is part of the telemetry for the show.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
restore2seater
Rich and Clay before the show.
Art at the line for first run.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

restore2seater
Start of burn out.
At the line.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
restore2seater
Half way and end of the run.
On average Jake, Art and the Chevelle were running in the 12's.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
restore2seater
The Chevelle.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
restore2seater
Jake and Art line up.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
restore2seater
Art and Chevelle.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
restore2seater
Jake and Chevelle.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
keep em comin!
restore2seater
Just to clarify, Muffler Mike was doing the driving for Jake.
That's most of the pictures I took.
Charles and his wife were taking pictures also. I'm sure his pictures will turn out better than the ones I took.
904svo
Need more pictures of the cars!!!!!!!!!
restore2seater
Last ones.
Didn't take any pictures of the other cars that were there. You'll have to watch the show. poke.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The second set of cars that ran were a Chevy Nova II station wagon against a 60's Dodge Coronet. The Dodge had some over heating problems when Clay held them both at the burn out box for an extended period of time. Trying to get someone to break. Theses guys were running in the 10's on average.

There is a picture of the Chevy that ran on this website.
BigBlockShawns
41ghost
i like the type4 store and the CFR logo on the front hood . sweet ride
Jake Raby
Not much time to post right now...

First off- Art IS THE MAN!! I knew he would be one hell of a competitor and I knew that even if we broke that we could not lose to a better driver/car than Art... Art spanked a Chevelle time after time after time... He stepped up with 2.5 weeks to prepare and made a near flawless representation for our VW family.

What happened to the engine is still to be known.. The end result was a bent valve that didn't do much damage to the engine, we had the actual head repaired at a local machine shop by straightening the valve and doing some really nasty medieval style repairs to it.

We had EVERY intention of repairing the engine for another pass, but Mike had seriously smoked the clutch on the NOS and that was going to take all night to repair and I had some sponsors (including the owners of the Spyder shell) to please and we did not want to rip the whole thing down and work all night to make a dumb mistake that could have cost us the car and injuries to Mike. On top of that all the tapong was going to be done today and there just wasn't enough time.

The hypotehtical cause of the issue at this point is that we gained some excess valve clearance and that got the pushrod out of the cup and on the side of the rocker doing nasty things to the valve lift, bending the valve but not harming anything else at all other than the clutch- the clutch was a huge issue that due to the car set up would have taken forever to swap out.

The past 3.5 weeks have been a blurr, building the car and just getting to the show was a nhuge undertaking and we pretty much knew from the beginning that the chances of a brand new car that had never been down the drag strip ( driven 12 miles total as one unit) with a driver that had never sat in the car till yesterday was pretty much recipe for disaster, but we knew that the price of admission was worth it IF we could actually pull it off with all the crazy variables involved and IF we did a lot of years of hard work may actually pay off.

I'll be the first to admit that I am disappointed, very disappointed but thats not because we "lost" but more because such simple things are what took us out- you have to remember that even if we would have won I was still going to blow parts on purpose- unfortunately nothing scattered.

All I can say at this point is we'll continue forging on and now with even more intensity and dedication for the drag strip. we showed up with a bitchin car, that was scratch built in 3 weeks- thats pretty unbelievable to us especially considering that NO ONE INVOLVED had ANY drag race experience! We had also never used NOS at all on any engine, except to purposely kill a few at local VW shows

BTW- it still has to be verified with the time slips and video but we did have the top ET of the day and thats something to be proud of IF it is actually proven by Ray and Rich... We looked good and we were fast, but neither of those mattered today.

Big thanks to Muffler Mike for answering the call to come drive an unknown car and to everyone that helped us to get to the event, especially James2 who took time off work to come help us prep as well as driving all the way to Iowa today to further support us- thats pure dedication. Also Dave from DTM EN\ngineering has also been right by our side from day one and has proven to be a true team member putting as much effort into this as anyone in our shop- but he did it as a friend with nothing to gain. Don't forget that wrenchnride27/7 also put a ton of work into the car, also as a friend... And all the sponsors!!!MY GOSH!!

Today has pleased a lot of naysayers and proved they were right, I have 30+ more years to prove them wrong and every dog has his day. I promise not to let this experience be anything less than a catalyst for our work with the Type 4 engine in all respects, hell losing today might have just been the best thing that could have happened.

Art did us all a fine job, watching him annihilate the Chevelle from our pit was an unreal experience.

We head home tomorrow, should be back on Friday.
LvSteveH
Great attitude, thanks for the update beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
Always the small things in racing, oh well. I'm sure you had fun...knowing you...you wanted to really BLOW up something.

No better research than racing, even if it's drag-racing (not your element).
Twystd1
The only part that counts for me is that you suited up and you showed up.

That tells me all I need to know.

Clayton
So.Cal.914
Sounds like you guys were winners to me, you had a good time, a quick car and

the lowest ET. smilie_pokal.gif
ottox914
This may have been covered already, but if not, toss a "heads up" here when this will be airing, even if its not a T4, its gonna be fun to watch aircooled beat up on water pumpers.
cnavarro
We've uploaded a good deal of photos from the event on our new website:

http://www.weblewitup.com

For those who couldn't attend...
ConeDodger
Good job guys... That car is a work of art and it came together so quickly. Any chance this thing will be campaigned at drag strips?
Brando
That spider is tits! Wish i had one...

Question about all the plumbing. Looks like a belt-driven oil pump. What is it really?
Jake Raby
Yes, We will be campaigning the 550 at Drag events, autocrosses and even some road course events in the future... With a swap of gearing and tires the car will be a multifaceted race vehicle.

The oil system does utilize a belt driven 3 stage massive dry sump oil pump... Its used for many purposes, primarily to keep up with the open clearances inside the engine and to provide a fully evacuated crankcase with negative crankcase pressure (vacuum)

the engine is apart for repair and further development. 300HP N/A is just around the corner- it made 244 with less cam and only 8.6:1 CR on pump gas.... I have 7 cams to swap into it over the next couple of months.
jimkelly
samba 550 spyder for sale - got to resist : )

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=435151
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.