Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Santa Rosa Zone & AX events #2 & #3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
Anyone going? Should be fun! I'm fairly sure we have at least 5 914's going.

http://zone7.pca.org/index.php?page=event&...mp;event=2007a3
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 23 2007, 10:24 PM) *

Anyone going? Should be fun! I'm fairly sure we have at least 5 914's going.

http://zone7.pca.org/index.php?page=event&...mp;event=2007a3

The BPR 914's are inching closer. The Raby monster motor is running...we're sorting a few things on it. Work continues on The Beast™ as I type this...new Carrera rotors going on the car with the JRZ calipers. we're waiting on a piece from Ground Control that should arrive tomorrow. The car will be a roller tomorrow night. It goes back to Yeaman Autobody for the final panel fitting and painting by the weekend. Paul Guard is shipping the 80% LSD to Tom Amon at Mobile Works West. Tom has put in the new billet intermediate plate in our 901, freshened the synchros, and carrier bearings. The M-S-X box is nearly complete. Lightweight flywheel and centerforce clutch are on their way from Patrick Motorsports.

Unfortunately, the cars are not quite ready for re-assembly. No 914's of ours at the Zone AX. Doris and I will be up at Thunderhill with the EPIQ SPEQ putting in practice laps. Mostly Doris driving at this event.

Getting closer...but not there yet.

Bill P.
grantsfo
You guys better not forget how to drive a 914!
Chris Pincetich
See you there beerchug.gif
My shake-down cruise this weekend went great. Still don't have the shift stops perfect on the new shifter, so I plan to drive it to work tomorrow and get more feedback for fine adjustments. April is almost gone and I still have work to do to add on all the mods I classed myself with on the GGR web site. Hood, battery, header and seats are still to go! Sideshift conversion, 13 lbs flywheel, and Rennshifter completed. Bondo cracks and re-spray of LE front spoiler is in progress biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Weather looks like it will be perfect! Anyone else planning to go? I might even try to go Sunday.
Chris Hamilton
I'll be there in the red. Andrew will be there in the blue.
joel924
I plan on bringing my 914 (black). Cheers.
Chris Pincetich
I'm back and what a day! Headed out for beerchug.gif
then some sleep and another day of AX aktion035.gif
2-3-2 shifts with the Rennshift are soooo confident, makes a world of difference for AX. It was great to see all the 914s doing so well, and great to chat in person with everybody. See you tomorrow beerchug.gif
grantsfo
Nice to see you out there Chris. I think all of us 914 drivers put up a good showing yesterday. I didn't have a chance to check all the times. I know Andrew B with the new "top secret" motor kicked our butts and he set TTOD. That new Hamilton Racing motor is absolutely crazy fast. They will be tough to beat this season with driver as good as Andrew and a rocket ship fast car biggrin.gif
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 29 2007, 03:52 PM) *

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 29 2007, 09:45 PM) *

damm, i don't think i've ever been there when it was that green. i even spot flowers!
usually, it's all just brown and dead ...

looks like someone had fun out there. what were the times? what layout did you guys run?
idea.gif Andy
DanT
were you guys bored, or what? alfred.gif

I thought you were supposed to be having fun poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 29 2007, 09:49 PM) *

were you guys bored, or what? alfred.gif

I thought you were supposed to be having fun poke.gif

yeah, they both look like they're about to yawn ...
biggrin.gif Andy
DanT
Miata guy looks like he is thinking...."OK, I thought this 914 guy was supposed to be showing me something, I get more excitement watching the grass grow"

alfred.gif blink.gif laugh.gif huh.gif poke.gif
McMark
Rob Sime and I came by to spectate, but a little too late, they were just closing the gates... pinch.gif Whoops. Too late!

This thread is worthless without more pictures! laugh.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 29 2007, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 29 2007, 09:45 PM) *

damm, i don't think i've ever been there when it was that green. i even spot flowers!
usually, it's all just brown and dead ...

looks like someone had fun out there. what were the times? what layout did you guys run?
idea.gif Andy

Nice layout using the go kart track. Andrew B was TTOD Sat with 35.XX with Steve N, Nathan, me contesting the 36.xx times. Steve N at low end of 36 Nathan in middle of 36 and me in high 36. Hamilton racing has raised the bar again as they have dropped a very fast motor into the blue 914 - it must be a big bore because the car is very very fast.

Here is Nathan entering the kart section.

IPB Image

You can see more here: http://web.mac.com/lepprd/iWeb/Site/RR%20Ax%204-07.html
Chris Pincetich
Super fun weekend...except working the front gate on Sat late shift, where I couldn't see any of Group C runs and couldn't leave my post until almost 4:30-5pm. The photo below is from that stretch, I was bored and used my phone to snap a pic biggrin.gif

Sunday was a super close battle between Andrew and Baron Von 3.6. The 3.6 911 turned several 39.x runs, but Andrew had a 39.1X that remained fastest. The Sunday course was full-on stright into a 6 cone slalom to the back sweeper and the Andrew'c car was just as fast into it as the 911 Turbo and 3.6, but soooo flat and fast through turns it was amazing.

I kinda want slicks or DOT R after this weekend as I was dealing with lots of understeer here, oversteer there with the accompanying slide on my street tires. Due to budget and class points restraints I will work this out with smoother driving next time biggrin.gif
DanT
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 30 2007, 01:59 PM) *

Super fun weekend...except working the front gate on Sat late shift, where I couldn't see any of Group C runs and couldn't leave my post until almost 4:30-5pm. The photo below is from that stretch, I was bored and used my phone to snap a pic biggrin.gif

Sunday was a super close battle between Andrew and Baron Von 3.6. The 3.6 911 turned several 39.x runs, but Andrew had a 39.1X that remained fastest. The Sunday course was full-on stright into a 6 cone slalom to the back sweeper and the Andrew'c car was just as fast into it as the 911 Turbo and 3.6, but soooo flat and fast through turns it was amazing.

I kinda want slicks or DOT R after this weekend as I was dealing with lots of understeer here, oversteer there with the accompanying slide on my street tires. Due to budget and class points restraints I will work this out with smoother driving next time biggrin.gif

Chris, what is your current setup? camber, shocks, bars, springs etc....
your car should be pretty neutral if set up correctly....

looks like a great weekend...too bad mine is not quite ready...........yet.
grantsfo

Buy a set of cheapo rims and throw some cheap 205/50/15 Hankook DOT R's on. It will make a world of differnce and frankly I dont think points penalty is that signficant.

DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 30 2007, 03:12 PM) *

Buy a set of cheapo rims and throw some cheap 205/50/15 Hankook DOT R's on. It will make a world of differnce and frankly I dont think points penalty is that signficant.

If he does nothing to the car but DOT Rs he goes up 150 points and he would end up in AX 9. Pretty tough territory....I would suggest you go with a set of Falken Azenis 615s....pretty close to DOT Rs without the points penalty.

Chris Pincetich
Most oversteer was on the slippery sweeper and most understeer was going from 45 mph down to 10-20 for the go-kart section or the wicked U-turn section on Sunday's course. My 914 feels GREAT under normal track/traction conditions, I think most of the slippage is driver induced. I've never checked all those settings, except stock Tbars, front 19mm and rear 16mm Welty AR bars set about loose to half loose, and 140 lb short springs in back. 4-wheel optical alignment is in my future after I change my suspension bushings in May. I'm 25 or less points from going up to AX11, so tire upgrades are going to have to be street rated for 2007.
It was a lot of FUN slipping through the course, but not as FAST beerchug.gif
DanT
alignment means alot to your total handling...

what shocks do you have?

with stock front Torsion bars and 140# rear springs I would be disconnecting the rear bar completely...
what you have is basically an old class AI set up.
I ran that in a 1.7 for several years.
stock front torsion bars, 140# rear springs
19mm Weltmeister front sway bar
no rear sway bar
koni adjustables front and rear
-2 degrees camber front and -3 degrees rear.

very neutral handling and use the front sway bar and konis to adjust understeer and oversteer. I was running old school DOT Rs yoko A008Rs
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 30 2007, 03:22 PM) *

If he does nothing to the car but DOT Rs he goes up 150 points and he would end up in AX 9. Pretty tough territory....I would suggest you go with a set of Falken Azenis 615s....pretty close to DOT Rs without the points penalty.

That's probably the ticket since most of the cars in AX12 have street tires.
Chris Hamilton
That was a very fun event this weekend. I had a blast in the red 914, the ancient sumitomos still have a tiny bit of tread left, I think I'll be looking at some toyos for the next event.

The question for me now will be to throw in the cash for a rennshift, or a megasquirt. Megasquirt will make driving there much more pleasant, it doesn't like cruising down the freeway unless it's above 3200 and below 4000, and even then I'm getting like 15mpg. Great power and incredible response at the track, but off the track not perfect.
Chris Pincetich
Chris- thanks for letting me try your seat. Go Megasquirt! Maybe it could be an extra credit project for a class? smile.gif I noticed your rotors were different, are they custom or Zimmerman?

There are AWESOME photos at ground-speed.com. I like this one and another one, enough that some big prints will be ordered beerchug.gif
Soooo flat in the corners!
grantsfo
She does take some nice pics.

Dave_Darling
More pics... There are already several of Chris on his transmission swap thread in the Garage.

Larry, owner of the dark-blue 1.8, handing out timing slips with an assistant:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A different Larry, trying out his "new" toy:
Click to view attachment

Even SCs get to come play:
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Click to view attachment

Early versus late bumpers:
Click to view attachment

"Interesting" tape job on this Integra:
Click to view attachment

Larry's blue 74:
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
A Spyder (by Vintage Spyders), with a 914 engine:
Click to view attachment

A ~2000 model year 914:
Click to view attachment

Terry Zaccone's "Marcel", a 1968 911L Softback Targa:
Click to view attachment

A pair of 914s ready to head out on course:
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Click to view attachment

A nice white Six showed up to watch for a while:
Click to view attachment

The famous Blue Car:
Click to view attachment

New carbs; I didn't realize it also had a new motor:Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Lots of people want to go play:
Click to view attachment

The 356 did not pass Tech, but looked very cool!
Click to view attachment

There was a slow-down right around Cotati, for some reason:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I have a few more pics, but these are probably the best ones.

--DD
DanT
Dave, was the accident caused by the dreaded, "Audi unintended deceleration"? biggrin.gif

Larry Sharp's new toy has lived next door to me for the last year or so....
Nice car, perfect for Larry...
grantsfo
I noticed the air cleaners sitting high on the Hamilton Racing car, but didnt realize they were strange looking extentions. What's the purpose of that tall induction system? Cooler air? And those little covers in the back - are we going for ram effect?

IPB Image
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ May 3 2007, 01:05 AM) *

Chris- thanks for letting me try your seat. Go Megasquirt! Maybe it could be an extra credit project for a class? smile.gif I noticed your rotors were different, are they custom or Zimmerman?

No problem on the seat. I'll post some pictures soon of how I attached the mounts and stuff. Mostly just the corbeau seat, some stock 914 mounts, and a bit of metal. I'm not sure if most people like their seat as high as mine though.

I'm going to be putting together the megasquirt for the red 914 first, then putting one on the blue car. The blue 914 wasn't running too great in the low speed sections, just a downfall of the old webers, so we'll be EFIng very soon ( days, not weeks ).

The rotors are custom Hamilton engineering rotors ( just for the rear at the moment ), I'll be getting a set for the fronts soon.
Dave_Darling
Not a great pic of how it bolts in, but you can indeed see the seat... wink.gif

Click to view attachment

--DD
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 4 2007, 11:15 PM) *

Not a great pic of how it bolts in, but you can indeed see the seat... wink.gif

--DD

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the new corbeau seat in my red 914. beerchug.gif

( I suppose now that I'm driving it, I should change the picture next to my posts ).

edit: changed it
Chris Pincetich
The blue car seat, pictured, is a CUSTOM molded job from a bare shell. I found a retailer on-line that has the fiberglass or carbon/kevlar sheels idea.gif
The Forza seat in the red car is nice, not as snug for me as I was hoping. I tried an OMP that was super nice, so you get what you pay for. beerchug.gif
grantsfo
Great 914 showing!

Results are up.

Saturday:

http://zone7.pca.org/index.php?page=axsing...ch=AX200702time

Sunday:

http://zone7.pca.org/index.php?page=axsing...ch=AX200703time
Dave_Darling
That's pretty depressing... I am way, way down in the results.

I'm also rather distressed about the cars I am supposed to be running against! (Ray Fiore's Aubergine 76 has at least suspension and R-compound tires, not to mention almost double the power.)

--DD
DanT
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 9 2007, 08:55 PM) *

That's pretty depressing... I am way, way down in the results.

I'm also rather distressed about the cars I am supposed to be running against! (Ray Fiore's Aubergine 76 has at least suspension and R-compound tires, not to mention almost double the power.)

--DD

Now Dave......don't tell me you are unhappy with our new points system? poke.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 9 2007, 08:14 PM) *

Now Dave......don't tell me you are unhappy with our new points system? poke.gif

Actually, I've never been happy with it... I feel there are too many variables for a points system like this to work very well. Case in point, the near-stock 914s are getting penalized because 914s respond better to most of the modifications than the other cars do--so to give highly-modified 911s a chance, they set the initial points values for 914s relatively high.

--DD
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 10 2007, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 9 2007, 08:14 PM) *

Actually, I've never been happy with it... I feel there are too many variables for a points system like this to work very well. Case in point, the near-stock 914s are getting penalized because 914s respond better to most of the modifications than the other cars do--so to give highly-modified 911s a chance, they set the initial points values for 914s relatively high.

--DD

I dont know my opinion has been changing on this point system. If you look at Dan, Demick or Rich Walton all can pretty much whip those highly powered 911's in slightly modified T4 powered 914's at the majority of AX events. If the points system was terribly unfair for AX, good 914 drivers wouldnt have a chance against high HP cars in similar classifications. If I look at my car, it has set TTOD at two events. Its nothing more than a 914 with a 200 hp small bore six, fat DOT tires and some fiberglass bodywork. Compared to other cars in my point classification it would appear I have a signficant HP and tire width disadvantage, but carrying less weight is an huge advantage in AX that often is dimissed as not a critical factor. I do believe all 914's have a handling advantage and the points system doesnt penalize you much for going after some weight reductions that make a definite difference in AX times.

I think the biggest issue with points system is for GGR time trials. Most of our tracks favor HP over handling. I'd be upset if I was an avid TT guy, but I dont think I'll ever make it to a PCA TT. I'm probably going to go directly to some sort of club racing.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 10 2007, 10:54 AM) *

I dont know my opinion has been changing on this point system. If you look at Dan, Demick or Rich Walton all can pretty much whip those highly powered 911's in slightly modified T4 powered 914's at the majority of AX events. ...

Demick and Dan are in AX7 and AX8 respectively. I'm talking AX14, for myself. Which goes back to what I was referring earlier, that the 914s respond better to modifications than many other cars do. So to keep it more even up in the modified areas, they penalize the stock (or almost stock) 914s.

And yes, part of it is me being pissy about having to un-modify my car after having a setup I liked that was pretty good in the old system. And part of it is a certain someone mis-classing his car (I believe). And yes, also part is the way I drove that day.

But I am still dissatisfied with the system.

--DD
DanT
Dave, last year I ran in AX11 with my car. everything is the same as it is this year other than the motor rebuild.
I was running on 3 year old (heat cycled out) Victors and was never less than ~2 secs up on my competition. Which included 964s, 911s, 996s, 993s and BoxsterS and Boxsters...
What is unfortunate there is no granularity to some of the points. For a car like yours you take the same number of points as I do just by putting 140# springs on the rear of your car while I have 21mm front torsion bars and 180# rear springs. Because of the way the points are set up we both get the same points hit.
So if you go back to our old system you potentially have BI and BP cars in the same class.

Dave you need to look at the points system and suggest some changes over on the GGR bbs.

Check out the proposals I have suggested for next season.

As far as cars you feel are misclassed you are running against....

PROTEST them I have protested 2 cars in the last two years. Both were misclassed.
Just let the AX chair know your concern and have them speak to the car's owner during the event....that way it is a done deal and you quit headbang.gif headbang.gif when you are at the events.
Too many folks complain about misclassed cars in their class but never make the effort to protest them and get them into the class they belong in.
Dave_Darling
Unfortunately I am not that familiar with the new system, and I don't really know enough to protest. I didn't even know what class I was in at the event, I had to email Larry later and ask for it to be added!

It is too bad about the granularity, but reading David Leong's posts is very discouraging for anyone who is thinking about trying to make changes.

I will look over your proposals again; I recall that they have pretty much all been well thought out.

Sadly, I don't have anything constructive to say about the new system as yet--I'm too focused on whining about it... wink.gif

It would be neat to have a finer granularity on the suspension changes--that was one of the things that was pretty nice about the old rule set. Ditto the 914-specific provisions.

It still chaps me that I'll need to ditch the rear springs (and perches) to go back to stock, and find that rear sway bar I have in storage. Good thing I didn't decide to sell it!

--DD
nebreitling
dave, why change your setup if you're happy with your car? just for a few AX's?

screw 'em. yes, you may be out outgunned, but who cares? it's a silly AX! beerchug.gif
DanT
Dave,
David Leong is no longer the competition chair and is completely out of the loop of the Drivers Event Committee. The current DEC is comprised of folks that really don't like the system as it currently stands and are looking for ways for it to become more equatable... the old regime is gone.

Larry is amenable to changes...always has been. David was the sticking point.
He felt the system was just about perfect and took every suggested change personally.
Look at the rules, suggest changes where you see fit...
Your input is just as valid as anyone elses.

and I also agree with Nathan....don't change your car if you don't want to. Drive it the way it is and the way you enjoy it.

look at the rules, suggest changes for next season (like more granularity in the suspension points)
Care enough to try to make it better. smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
Dave - you barely beat me! I'll be looking for revenge at the next race laugh.gif
I thought keeping track of AX points this year would be fun...so far I'm 4th-ish overall in AX 12. The white 911 RSA is in AX 12 also huh.gif
Sadly, one of my favorite annual mountainboard races was cancelled, which opens up May 19th for a possible AX with GGR beerchug.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 13 2007, 09:19 PM) *

Dave,
David Leong is no longer the competition chair and is completely out of the loop of the Drivers Event Committee. The current DEC is comprised of folks that really don't like the system as it currently stands and are looking for ways for it to become more equatable... the old regime is gone.

Larry is amenable to changes...always has been. David was the sticking point.
He felt the system was just about perfect and took every suggested change personally.
Look at the rules, suggest changes where you see fit...
Your input is just as valid as anyone elses.

and I also agree with Nathan....don't change your car if you don't want to. Drive it the way it is and the way you enjoy it.

look at the rules, suggest changes for next season (like more granularity in the suspension points)
Care enough to try to make it better. smile.gif

I have never paid attention to classes at GGR events. I have always had more fun chasing TTOD. When I started I was about 10 seconds off TTOD. Then 6 seconds the next year. Last year I was within 4 seconds. Last AX I was a little over 1 1/2 seconds from Hamilton Racing's TTOD. Making steady progress is very satisfying to me. Goal now is to be under a second from TTOD of the fast GGR drivers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.