Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tool needed from someone local
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I am taking the front end apart and for some reason, I cannot find my tie rod splitter tool, the one to remove the tie rods from the spindle, does anyone local have one I can borrow to get this thing apart? I could come get it if it is not too far away.
r_towle
turn wheel so you can get to the back of the spindle.

Take the nut off, and cotter pin...

Clean off the spindle where the tie rod attaches.

There is a nub on the spindle, hit that nub, pretty hard, so the hammer is winging horizontal...
If properly hit...it pops the tie rod out..

I just did this the other day..it truely works, and it saves the boot.

It is really the luck of the swing, not the power...seems to need to be hit just right...otherwise, your just swinging at it...

Rich
skline
Nub??? It is a Carrera front end, I tried beating on it with a hammer with no luck at all. What nub are you referring to?
r_towle
there is a flat spot on the centerline of the arm where the tie rod is bolted in.

So, you have the arm, it has a round end with a hole for the tie rod.
On the outer diameter of that round part , at the very end of the arm it a flat spot.
Swing the hammer horizontal, and hit the spot hard.
Dont i hit the arm all over, just that spot.
It will pop, just a matter of hitting it right, and with the correct amount of force.

Rich
Lou W
I have a fork type tool that I think would work in your situation. I'm going to the R & G swapmeet Sunday and can bring it with me if you'd like.
skline
Ok, I will give it a try....... smash.gif
Twystd1
Scott,

I AM ON M,Y WAY OVER...

All I need is a big ball peen hammer and about a 3.4 foot peice of pipe... I'll have that sucker off with out hurtin nuttin... Pronto....

Rich nailed.... Ya just gotta know how.... ders a trick to it.......

C
skline
Well, I tried it, no avail.....

Clayton just called and said there is a trick to it, he is on his way over to try it.

We will see. I really want to get this thing going now and with all the progress I just hate to stop now. If this dont work, I am off to bed for the night. Thanks
skline
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 23 2007, 10:32 PM) *

Well, I tried it, no avail.....

Clayton just called and said there is a trick to it, he is on his way over to try it.

We will see. I really want to get this thing going now and with all the progress I just hate to stop now. If this dont work, I am off to bed for the night. Thanks

From Clayton, it's too late to really bang on da bitch... So we put some PB like stuff on it and will wait till tomorrow... It's gunna take some heat and some banging manyana...

Clayton
jd74914
Could you post a picture showing what Rich is talking about?
Aaron Cox
pickle fork?
bd1308
yes! its the atomic bomb of automotive tooling.

It literally F's everything up (seals, etc) but gets the fused pieces unfuzed.

8# sledge, pickle fork and my front right strut removed for removing ball end off of shock.
Justinp71
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 23 2007, 11:14 PM) *

I am taking the front end apart and for some reason, I cannot find my tie rod splitter tool, the one to remove the tie rods from the spindle, does anyone local have one I can borrow to get this thing apart? I could come get it if it is not too far away.

You can rent thoughs from autozone for free....

I haven't used that tool for my 914, but I have for another car and it worked good.
r_towle
Tie rod end pic,
Just above the thumb in this picture is where you hit...
The direction of the force will be straight down the neck of the arm, so nothing will get bent here...

this is the standard way to remove a ball joint.
The pullers only come into play with stubborn joints, or ones that will be thrown out.
If one of you PhotoShop Gurus knows what I am talking about, please add a few arrows to this picture...

Thanx
Rich
Aaron Cox
back the nut off, and flip it over....

then beat on the nut (and not the threads)

i use a pickle fork when i plan on replacing tie rods.
Elliot Cannon
Scott,
Is this the tool you need?
Aaron Cox
thats a neat little tool!
skline
That might work Elliot, did you have it or are you just teasing me?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 24 2007, 07:05 PM) *

I have the tool. If you need it, I'll bring it up.
Elliot
Lou W
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 24 2007, 08:22 AM) *

pickle fork?

Heh heh... He said pickle fork. biggrin.gif

I can still bring mine on Sunday if you need it.
skline
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 25 2007, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(skline @ Apr 24 2007, 07:05 PM) *

I have the tool. If you need it, I'll bring it up.
Elliot

I will be home all day tomorrow for the most part still trying to get the suspension off. That would be a great help.

skline
Special thanks to Elliot for stopping by today with his little tool smile.gif

I was only able to get one side off with it however but it was something. I went to Kragen and they wanted $22.00 to rent the tool that I would get it back when I returned it or I could just buy the tool I needed for $10.00, since they didnt have the rental one there, I just bought the tool, came home and about 10 whacks of the hammer, I got it off. I tell you, having the right tools, makes a whole world of difference.

This is what you need to get the tie rods off. See pictures for those who are not so literate
Aaron Cox
you coulda spent 5 bucks in gas and borrowed my pickle fork smile.gif

good work dude.
skline
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 27 2007, 04:27 PM) *

you coulda spent 5 bucks in gas and borrowed my pickle fork smile.gif

good work dude.

Corona is 20 miles or so from here, 17MPG hiway so it would be more in gas than it was to just buy the one I did, not to mention the nasty traffic on Fridays, trust me, I made the right decision. Besides, I needed it to remove the ball joints from the struts when I took it all apart. I am sure I will be using this tool again or someone local will need it one day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.