Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: fiero ferrari kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
on the coattails of the "import-kitcar show in carlisle PA" thread:
fiero ferrari kitcar on cl.
looks like a useable kit, but who knows?

paul
p.s. i'm not a buyer or the seller.
iamchappy
I helped my friend build this one.

I forgot to add a real POS....
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 24 2007, 06:15 AM) *

I helped my friend build this one.

I forgot to add a real POS....

A POS? too bad.

It looks pretty good to me.
Air_Cooled_Nut
On the behalf of all Ferrari enthusiasts:
For the love of GOD, don't do it!
Building a fake Ferrari is like building a Porsche 930 on a stock Bug chassis with a stock engine.

chowtime.gif + stromberg.gif = icon8.gif
iamchappy
All show no go...very slow.
It looks great in the interior and exterior.
Chassis is rusted and reinforced with metal bars, the engine runs like shit and sounds
like a putt putt car. The things got like 4" spacers on the rear.
zymurgist
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 24 2007, 11:29 AM) *

Chassis is rusted and reinforced with metal bars, the engine runs like shit and sounds

This begs the question... why didn't your friend start with a better example?
shaggy
they look pretty clean in the end but if you know the 355 the differences are pretty clear.

and its still a fiero...

-jim
Justinp71
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 24 2007, 08:29 AM) *

Did it end up being pretty expensive to get it to look right?
iamchappy
He bought it as a project that someone else never finished, the body shop had to do
alot of work and he has spent a fortune on it. I am trying to talk him into getting some mechanical and engine upgrades done to it but he seems satisfied with it the way it is.
We did install some coilovers.
So.Cal.914
That's like building a Porsche Turbo out of a Fiat...oh wait, it's been done.

Never mind.

Click to view attachment
sww914
I used to work at a bodyshop that was 1/2 bodyshop and 1/2 kit manufacturer.
They made a kit to make an 80's Corvette look like a Testerossa, and an F40 kit for a Fiero .
They couldn't afford to buy either of the Ferraris, so they built the kits from measurements taken from scale models.
I learned a lot about making fiberglass parts, and I learned to hate kit cars.
zymurgist
If I remember correctly, Ferrari took legal action against the manufacturers of kits which made Fieros look like Ferraris, stating that the kit manufacturers were infringing on the Ferrari design. I don't believe that the kit makers are allowed to use the Ferrari name in their marketing any more.
customstarr
Fiero kit, or any Fiero for that matter = GAAAAAAYYYYYY. At least that's what friends used to say about the two that I owned. Fiero is the Chevette of sports cars - and yes, even if you drop a V8 in one, it's still the Chevette of sports cars.
jonferns
in my opinion, it doesnt matter what you put on or in a fiero..its still a fiero...biggrin.gif
airsix
A guy around here has a Fiero re-done to look like a 308. It looks bad because the fiero wheelbase is notably shorter than the Ferarri. Looks like a cartoon. I met him at a stoplight once and leaned over and asked "Is that a Fiero under there?" He gave me a dirty look and roared off in a fury. I think he was even more upset that I beat him to the next light.

-Ben M.

ps - I was driving a UPS truck. av-943.gif That was 12 years ago and it still makes me laugh out loud.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.