Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
We have an issue with my sons car.

Cant seem to get it to go in/stay in 4th gear.
Cant do it by hand from underneath either...

Is it the fork, slider, syncro???
He is driving it without 4th for now, but obviously we need a longer term fix.
I have a few spares here.
Do you think its possibly to see/tell if the inner gears on the slider are shot without actually removing the slider?
If I need to remove it all anyways...I will just rebuild another one, and swap them out.

Rich
TROJANMAN
you can remove the gear stack and check the sliders/teeth, but you do need to remove the tranny to do so.
It seems uncommon to lose just 4th gear.
Rule out all of the cheap/easy fixes first. did you check all of the linkage?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 24 2007, 02:14 PM) *

We have an issue with my sons car.

Cant seem to get it to go in/stay in 4th gear.
Cant do it by hand from underneath either...

Is it the fork, slider, syncro???
He is driving it without 4th for now, but obviously we need a longer term fix.
I have a few spares here.
Do you think its possibly to see/tell if the inner gears on the slider are shot without actually removing the slider?
If I need to remove it all anyways...I will just rebuild another one, and swap them out.

Rich

slider syncro and dog teeth. NOT NICE
Dr Evil
Sounds like one of your breaker blocks sheared and is causing the synchro band to not collapse. Easy fix (for me wink.gif )

If you need help, you know where to find me. Bring it to Hershey idea.gif
r_towle
He is driving it to Hershey...without 4th.

We will be fine, I can rebuild a spare...check to make sure its all set and then swap them out...
It is his daily driver, so that solution has the least down time...

Hmmm, maybe I wont sell that syncro hub I have at hershey...
Dr Evil...maybe you could show my what you are talking about...
I think I know the part you are mentioning, and it sounds like that is the issue, it feel that way when I do it by hand...
I can get it in, but as soon as I move the car forward or backwards..it pops out again...and it really does not feel like its going all the way in anyways..

Rich
jimkelly
i think the evil one is talking about this

http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/rebuild/Image16.jpg

and see this

http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Apr 24 2007, 02:18 PM) *

you can remove the gear stack and check the sliders/teeth, but you do need to remove the tranny to do so.

you can pull the gearstack out of the tranny without removing the trans. easy to do.

hmm... so it wont go into fourth AT the tranny either? so that rules out linkage....

defer to evil/thomas/redbeard for that one
r_towle
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 24 2007, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Apr 24 2007, 02:18 PM) *

you can pull the gearstack out of the tranny without removing the trans. easy to do.

hmm... so it wont go into fourth AT the tranny either? so that rules out linkage....

defer to evil/thomas/redbeard for that one

Well to be perfectly honest, I did not remove the shifter linkage to do my test at the tranny, I just had him remove the rubber cover, and the boot at the firewall.

I checked the cone screws...and tried it by hand.
It could still be something in the shifter rod adjustment (he has been futzing with it)
So, by hand, I may have been hitting the stops in the shifter...
Its kinda tough to diagnose with a maximum of ten to fifteen minutes to look it over...
I am hoping the gang of 914 guys will smack him for taking such crappy care of the car, and guilt him into spending at least a few hours fixing all the little stuff.

Rich
Dr Evil
Jim,
You are a smart man and a great understudy, that pic is exactly what I was talking about thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.