Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you get em to fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mills914/s
sawzall-smiley.gif How in the heck do you get new polyplastic bushings into factory rear drop links for the rear sway with out messing them up
I have tried heat....cold...soap ...shoe horn.. Whats the deal do I have to big of bushing or something? Any little tricks to force it in?
sawzall-smiley.gif
Aaron Cox
they are a pain.. but doable.
soften em up with heat... and chase em in with a small screwdriver. heat pry and repeat. do not melt them or tear them.

you can also use a small hose clamp to compress them, kinda like a ring compressor and chase em in that way.....

once they are in, make sure you put one in one way, and one in the opposite... i made that mistake... on more than one install LOL
mills914/s
Thanks Aaron if you didn't say that I would have put them in the same way

Seth
blitZ
I microwaved mine in a cup of water for a minute or so, then used channel locks to coax them in. The fun part is getting the ball in the socket.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(blitZ @ Apr 24 2007, 05:03 PM) *

I microwaved mine in a cup of water for a minute or so, then used channel locks to coax them in. The fun part is getting the ball in the socket.

thats just a c clamp operation...... childs play compared to getting the bushing in the dog bone
brer
mine preloads.

thinking I might cut it in half and put a threaded collar on it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 24 2007, 05:08 PM) *

mine preloads.

thinking I might cut it in half and put a threaded collar on it.

brando did just that....
smart move. do both and sell me one smile.gif
mills914/s
Wow that sucks !!!!! I got one in 3 more to go.
Thanks guys.
Cap'n Krusty
I compress the cup and the link in a vise. One side will start to go in, then I coax the rest of it in with a blunt screwdriver. Figure on 3-5 minutes per socket, once you have the technique perfected. The Cap'n
mills914/s
Got em in next a c clamp to put them on.
McMark
Cap'n has it right (duh) a vice is your friend. wink.gif
mills914/s
Im almost ready for the ramble !!!!! Im switching over 72 to 75 suspension and brakes(THanks ERIC!!!) and factory sways where there was never any before. Next is drop motor put in new clutch, adjust valves and tune carbs. And im done.
McMark
That's a sweet lookin' car. I can't wait to see it in person.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 24 2007, 07:50 PM) *

I compress the cup and the link in a vise. One side will start to go in, then I coax the rest of it in with a blunt screwdriver. Figure on 3-5 minutes per socket, once you have the technique perfected. The Cap'n

The Captains way is the best. Cuz that's how I do them too. Well when I used to have a sway bar.

So what do you need a rear sway bar for anyway?

Big channel locks for the bar end. and a 2lb hammer on the trailing arm end. line it up MOVE YOUR FINGER and whack. it should go right on.
mills914/s
Thanks Mark its been alot of work.But Its getting there. Im lucky cause my wifey puts up with it. She loves 914's I need to get her a project 914 next.
Gint
Definitely a great looking 914. Who's carpet?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mills914/s @ Apr 24 2007, 04:50 PM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif How in the heck do you get new polyplastic bushings into factory rear drop links for the rear sway with out messing them up
I have tried heat....cold...soap ...shoe horn.. Whats the deal do I have to big of bushing or something? Any little tricks to force it in?
sawzall-smiley.gif

You should not be having a problem with this. I can see by the picture that Sir Andy is helping you with this project and he knows how to do this.... biggrin.gif

Oh wait! Maybe you are just using Andy's camera? cool.gif
mills914/s
My friend does interiors for cars and ordered it from somewhere. Not sure where. It looks nice but if you look at it close in person the seams don't really look strong. I dont know. It works. Im just going to put mats in anyways to protect them.

Robby::: No Andy..... Im doing this all on my own with a little help from people giving me advise tips here and there. The camera is mine.
Seth
mills914/s
Ohhh and Joe... I like front and rear sways The car I took these from had them I liked the way it felt. So Im putting them on this car now. I have to say tho I have never driven a 914 with just a front and no rear. Mabey I will leave the drop links off for a day or 2 and see how it responds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.