Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you help identify a CV joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NoEcm
I purchased 2 sets of axles with CV joints a couple of weeks ago and they arrived today.

After disassembly I noticed that 2 of CV's are a little different than the other 2. I have 2 CV's like the one on the left and 2 CV's like the one on the right (I'm assuming the CV joint on the left is the stock one).

-The CV joint on the right has had both the roll pins ground down for some reason.
-The CV join on the right also has a machined surface that the one on the left does not have.

Can someone tell me what type of CV joint that is on the right?
rhodyguy
well...they sure look dif. are they used, reman, or what? if you wipe them down can you find any #s?

k
yarin
Count the number of splines, make sure they are equal. For a -4 there should be 33 splines.

I rebuilt my CVs a few months ago, here is thread that may help:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry872216

I would order new dowel pins from pelican. They certianly should not be ground down. PMB Performance sells an excellent kit for $59 each. I replaced all four. If I were you I would replace the weird ones.

Eric_Shea
The one on the right is the VW replacement.

The PO ground down the pins to fit in the VW bolt holes instead of doing it right by machining the bolt hole to fit the proper pin.

The machined step is just that... no harm no foul... it's a good way to tell the difference. The metal boot will hang over the edge slightly because of this but, no worries.

Other than those issues, they are identical. You could have the ones on the right machined to handle the proper pin. That's what we do with ours. Mike Mueller at Mueller Designwerks does an excellent job.

welcome.png
NoEcm
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 25 2007, 12:45 AM) *

well...they sure look dif. are they used, reman, or what? if you wipe them down can you find any #s?

k

Axles were purchased used from 914-parts.com. I wiped the grease off 2 of them today and there were no #'s on them that I could find. I'll look closer after I clean them with solvent.

QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 25 2007, 09:23 AM) *

Count the number of splines, make sure they are equal. For a -4 there should be 33 splines.

Yup, there are 33 splines

I would order new dowel pins from pelican.

That's what I'll do

PMB Performance sells an excellent kit for $59 each. I replaced all four. If I were you I would replace the weird ones.

I confess. I'm a collector (of all types of junk). I really did not need these used axles as I purchased a new axle with new CV joints on both ends ~25 years ago from Stoddards. The new CV's are sitting in may attic right now unused. The next time I'm up there I'll have to count the splines on them. I guess I bought the used CV's for something to do. After wiping the grease off 2 of the CV's and boots, I'll never buy used CV's for something to do again.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 25 2007, 11:04 AM) *

The PO ground down the pins to fit in the VW bolt holes instead of doing it right by machining the bolt hole to fit the proper pin.

After punching out the roll pins I found that PO drilled out 2 of the holes so that the pins would fit. It looks like the holes were drilled with a hand drill and a dull bit. For whatever reason the PO ground only on the exposed part of the roll pin. See the attached picture below.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 25 2007, 11:04 AM) *

The metal boot will hang over the edge slightly because of this but, no worries.

I'm probably missing something but if the metal part of the boot hangs slightly over the edge of the machined step aren't the roll pins installed on the wrong side of the CV then?
Eric_Shea
After punching out the roll pins I found that PO drilled out 2 of the holes so that the pins would fit. It looks like the holes were drilled with a hand drill and a dull bit. For whatever reason the PO ground only on the exposed part of the roll pin. See the attached picture below.

I'm clueless as to why he would do such a thing.

I'm probably missing something but if the metal part of the boot hangs slightly over the edge of the machined step aren't the roll pins installed on the wrong side of the CV then?

You're not missing a thing. You are correct. The roll pins are on the opposite side compared to the stock unit.

I doubt it matters but, look at the lines that go around your CV's The one on the right is upside down. I like it the other way because you'll have slightly more surface for the gasket to mate with. wink.gif
sixnotfour
I confess. I'm a collector (of all types of junk). I really did not need these used axles as I purchased a new axle with new CV joints on both ends ~25 years ago from Stoddards. The new CV's are sitting in may attic right now unused. The next time I'm up there I'll have to count the splines on them. I guess I bought the used CV's for something to do. After wiping the grease off 2 of the CV's and boots, I'll never buy used CV's for something to do again.

Stoddards had a bunch of 914-6 axle sets 25 years ago, I have 2 sets in my attic ,I am guessing you have em too. they were cheap.
spline count is less for the six.
NoEcm
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 25 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Stoddards had a bunch of 914-6 axle sets 25 years ago, I have 2 sets in my attic ,I am guessing you have em too. they were cheap. spline count is less for the six.

Heck, you and I should have gotten together 25 years ago and did a "Combined Shipping Deal." biggrin.gif
Mueller
wow, I'm hoping the "mods" to the spring pins was due to the owner being stuck in the parking lot of Denny's @ 2am with swarm of killer bees fast approaching and had to do something to get back on the road biggrin.gif blink.gif

"we" flip the bug CV around, more gasket surface and more "meat" for the 10mm spring pin....

NoEcm
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 25 2007, 11:46 PM) *

wow, I'm hoping the "mods" to the spring pins was due to the owner being stuck in the parking lot of Denny's @ 2am with swarm of killer bees fast approaching and had to do something to get back on the road

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 25 2007, 08:18 PM) *

I'm clueless as to why he would do such a thing.

My vote would be that, surprise, surprise, the DAPO drilled the holes wrong (off angle?) and had to grind to make them fit. teef.gif

TRASH!!! stromberg.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.