Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got rid of the steering wheel shakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbdoc
Well this problem is solved. To recap, we had the steering shakes a 65mph to 90 mph. It would come and go. Checked every nut and bolt, wheel bearing clearance, tire pressures, etc. The fix was balance the tires with the balnace settings for both inside and out side weights applied. The second and most improtant, these cars are not a hub centric vehicle. The proper procedure for tightening the tires is not with an impact. Raide the car with someone in the drivers seat. Loosen all the lugs. Have someone hold the brakes locked. Tighten all lugs to 50ft.lbs. then come back and tighten to factory specs of 94 ft.lbs. It is very important to do this with no weight on the wheels. These ars are Lug Centric.
Hope this helps others with this problem.
BMXerror
I just started having this problem on my car. I was doing some inspection and had to pull the front wheels. I put them back on exactly as you said, and now it shakes (comes and goes). I think I'll do it again to make sure the rims are seated properly.
Mark D.
JWest
QUOTE(mbdoc @ Apr 25 2007, 10:59 AM) *

these cars are not a hub centric vehicle.

What year is your car, what wheels do you have? '73 and later 914s are hub-centric.
John
QUOTE(James Adams @ Apr 25 2007, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(mbdoc @ Apr 25 2007, 10:59 AM) *

these cars are not a hub centric vehicle.

What year is your car, what wheels do you have? '73 and later 914s are hub-centric.

Only the fronts have the hub centric ring. Soon, I'll have the hub centric rings on the back (thanks to later model 911 rear hubs)....
Joe Ricard
Yup, however I have come up with a pretty good method for my early car.
I change tires twice a day on race days. Milwaukee cordless impact make life easier. Hard to describe but basically just bring them snug and even then give them all a "whack whack" with the impact. then set the car on the ground and torque.

I also had the shop use the lugcentric pin adapter to balance my wheels.

My Diamond wheels would not be hub centric anyway.

Oh and welcome.png
Brando
Yo Adrian, your spelling sucks tongue.gif

Just teasin. I thought the problem came with something in where your shock up front was mounting to the camber plates you have? Glad to hear you got it resolved though.

And I'll clean those oil stains, I promise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.