Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does E-85 work in carbed 914s?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Laurence Budd
Has anyone tried this out yet? THe local station selling it says it should work in any carbed car. The dealer says the octane rating is 110. sounds great if it works, and cheaper at $2/gal.
drgchapman
Check out this link regarding E-85 fuel. It says octane is 105, pretty good!

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/e85.php
BenNC
The ethanol content may not be compatible with your fuel lines.

Ethanol has less stored energy than gasoline (regardless of the octane rating). Count on a 20-30% drop in gas mileage (assuming you maintain the same driving style).
Joe Ricard
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you will have to do a few things.

1st being that 105 octane will burn slower you will not get as much power from your motor with the current ignition settings you have.

You will have to increase the timing ALLOT. you could also benefit from raising your compression ratio. but then you would be tied to using E85 all the time.

New vehicles that are E85 compliant have a program in the computer to do all the things the engine needs to optimize the performance of these fuels.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(BenNC @ Apr 25 2007, 12:59 PM) *

The ethanol content may not be compatible with your fuel lines.

This is the key - carbs or FI is not really the issue. FlexFuel vehicles have special fuel lines and seals that are specifically designed for use with the alcohol blends. Cars not so equipped may experience failures of these components.

Not to mention that the energy content in ethanol is much less than gasoline. IIRC, one gallon of gas = approx 135,000 BTU while one gallon of ethanol = approx 70,000 BTU. What ever the exact numbers, you will burn more fuel to go the same distance. Is the price differential worth the offest of poor(er) mpg and possible damage to your fuel system and/or engine?
davep
I read that the E85 has 70% of the energy content of gasoline, so you would, theoretically, have to rejet carbs to increase fuel flow 42% to produce the same power. Similarly FI would need to have the fuel map changed to work. Add to that the fuel compatibility problems, and it would be a lot of work. Would there really be a cost per mile savings?
John
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 25 2007, 10:31 AM) *

I read that the E85 has 70% of the energy content of gasoline, so you would, theoretically, have to rejet carbs to increase fuel flow 42% to produce the same power. Similarly FI would need to have the fuel map changed to work. Add to that the fuel compatibility problems, and it would be a lot of work. Would there really be a cost per mile savings?

agree.gif

I don't think there would be much of a $$ savings or a very positive environmental impact (more fuel must be burned to go the same distance). I'm not a chemist and don't know the emissions given off by burning E85.

It just might work with a carbed car. I would agree that timing and jetting will need to be modified or at least looked at for acceptable performance.

Perhaps Jake can work out a combo that will work with E85?
Laurence Budd
QUOTE(Laurence Budd @ Apr 25 2007, 09:08 AM) *

Has anyone tried this out yet? THe local station selling it says it should work in any carbed car. The dealer says the octane rating is 110. sounds great if it works, and cheaper at $2/gal.

Ok, it looks like the artilce says the fuel/air ratio has to be changed, easy to do with webers. I will try a little and let you know what happens. I know why it's not pure ethanol- it would then be pure white lightnin', corn mash, and a very potent drink. Also a controlled substance.
davep
QUOTE(Laurence Budd @ Apr 25 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Ok, it looks like the artilce says the fuel/air ratio has to be changed, easy to do with webers. I will try a little and let you know what happens.

Is a 42% increase in fuel consumption EASY to achieve? Wouldn't you be WAY lean if you didn't get it right?
John
would that not just mean that the main jet needs to be 42% bigger and the idle jets 42% bigger and perhaps a change in emulsion tubes?

if starting with a 120 main jet (assumed to be 1.20mm diameter) = 1.131mm^2

1.131mm^2 * 1.42 = 1.606mm^2

this would yield a 143 (assuming a 1.43mm diameter) main jet.

I think that is doable. At least in rough guesstimates...

just my $0.02
marks914
E 85 burns ay 11:1 air/fuel ratio
Gasoline burns at a 14:1 air/fuel ratio

So is may run, but not well

Mark
Gary
You need more fuel and higher dynamic compression ratio to take advantage of the lower energy content and higher octane, respectively. With carbs, you could purpose build a motor and jetting setting to accomodate, but you'd be committed to E85 with every tank. With variable valve timing, EFI, and O2 sensors, the newer motors can adjust on the fly for 85% Ethanol / 15% gas all the way to 100% gas.

I think it would be an interesting project with an EFI motor. I recall a thread a while back where Jake stated head flow was an issue as well.

Edit: The thread was on using LPG, not E85...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.