Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Porsche to sell boats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
A friend sent me this link. Porsche Boat

Porsche Design Studios has created its first ever boat, set to debut at next week's Miami Boat Show. The 28-foot-long high-speed cruiser is a collaboration with Fearless Yachts, and looks like the boat Batman would have if he were real. It has a fiberglass hull, a 525-horsepower Viper engine, and can reach a top speed of 80mph. And at $300,000 you'll only have to sell your home to own it. And maybe your car. It's almost too cheap.

bigkensteele
Am I the only one who finds it strange that Porsche would build a boat and put a VIPER engine in it?!?!?
URY914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 25 2007, 11:10 AM) *

Am I the only one who finds it strange that Porsche would build a boat and put a VIPER engine in it?!?!?

Porsche isn't building it. Porsche Design is different than PORSCHE AG, the car folks.
McMark
I'll take two!
byndbad914

I was thinking I was going to see a cool boat with dual or trip C/GT engines! That would be badass!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 25 2007, 11:14 AM) *

Porsche isn't building it. Porsche Design is different than PORSCHE AG, the car folks.

Doesn't Porsche AG grant license to Porsche Design to use the name, and therefore have some authority over the products that they sell? I would think that Porsche AG would want a Porsche motor in this thing. Cayenne turbo would probably be up to it. I would imagine a C/GT motor would significantly increase the price tag.
Matt Meyer
Generally for a boat you want high torque slow speed engines.

The viper engine redlines at about 6000 rpm (from the internet).

The CGT is hitting peak torque at 5750 rpm, peak hp at 8000 rpm.

I would say the viper engine is a good engine for a boat.

The CGT engine isn't a good engine for a boat IMHO.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 25 2007, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 25 2007, 11:14 AM) *

Doesn't Porsche AG grant license to Porsche Design to use the name, and therefore have some authority over the products that they sell? I would think that Porsche AG would want a Porsche motor in this thing. Cayenne turbo would probably be up to it. I would imagine a C/GT motor would significantly increase the price tag.

Here, as nearly always, Google is your friend. Porsche Design is part of the family business empire. They need on license to use the name, because they are Porsche. The Cap'n
bd1308
Well I bought a laptop designed by Porsche Design and it was freakin' junk.

Eric_Shea
Don't show this to that damn Pete Stout guy... we'll have a "Yachting World" article on our hands! With a Dodge engine ta boot! Blasphemy! w00t.gif
balljoint
Batman isn't real? confused24.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 25 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Well I bought a laptop designed by Porsche Design and it was freakin' junk.

Amen to that - my Lacie hard drive (designed by Porsche) died on me a couple weeks ago... grrr
SGB
QUOTE(balljoint @ Apr 25 2007, 03:47 PM) *

Batman isn't real? confused24.gif

"SOCK!"
"POW!"

"KRUNCH!!"
URY914
I pulled the CGT engine OUT of my boat and put in a Massive Type 4. Runs much better now!!!
Matt Meyer
Now there is a good fit.

An aircooled engine in a boat.

Yes, I know it has been done.
TonyAKAVW
Now if someone buys this boat and then puts a couple WRX motors in it, does it make it less of a Porsche? smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Apr 25 2007, 01:35 PM) *

Now if someone buys this boat and then puts a couple WRX motors in it, does it make it less of a Porsche? smile.gif

laugh.gif slap.gif
Johny Blackstain
I like it, but I do find the engine choice to be only slightly odd... it's a boat. The old adage of nothing beats cubic inches means everything in the water. The Radical Purist in me wants to do some serious R&D on the un-used, 16-cylinder 917 engine. Let’s bore one out, water cool it & add 4 turbos! idea.gif

cool_shades.gif
Bleyseng
While wasting time waiting for Monique to try on shoes at a shop in Amsterdam in Jan I found some backpacks on sale. Cool, I like this one. Whoa, Porsche Design made and it was only $1000 Euros on Sale... Monique wouldn't buy for me as a late Xmas present..darn. chairfall.gif
Midtowner
First there was the Cayenne. Using the similar nomenclature results in Cay-yack? laugh.gif
GeorgeRud
PorscheDesign is just another one of Ferry Porsche's sons endeavors. He's an industrial designer (ie like Brooks Stevens), and comes up with some beautifully designed products. Unfortunately, they don't produce the items, so they can be good or bad.

Several years ago, a dear friend gave me a Porsche Design pen and pencil set (with an outer covering that is braided stainless steel like Qeroquip hose), and it's the cat's meow. So neat, only I'm always afraid of losing them by putting them down somewhere except on my desk!

Back in the 80s, the Porsche Design sunglasses were the ones to have at all the PCA events. I still use my Blueblockers though!
URY914
Excellance had an article years ago about how Porsche designed some 928 engines to go into offshore race boats.
Allan
I found out about this yesterday. I have a friend (stupid rich from hand-me-down-money) and he showed me an order form for one of those boats.

I asked, what are you going to do with it?

His reply: I'm going to run it at lake Isabella and lake Ming...

Look at these places on Mapquest. blink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Headrage @ Apr 25 2007, 07:01 PM) *

Look at these places on Mapquest. blink.gif

Never, ever, heard of those bodies of water so it's kinda hard to know where to look. After some investigation I found Lake Ming:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&om=1

Kinda small thumb3d.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(Matt Meyer @ Apr 25 2007, 11:54 AM) *

Generally for a boat you want high torque slow speed engines.

The viper engine redlines at about 6000 rpm (from the internet).

The CGT is hitting peak torque at 5750 rpm, peak hp at 8000 rpm.

I would say the viper engine is a good engine for a boat.

The CGT engine isn't a good engine for a boat IMHO.

Well... I do agree with you in general as well. I agree the bigger cube, lower rpm torque engine is good for a typical boat, but rpm isn't really as significant assuming the engine doesn't lug so much you can't get on plane. that said, it would take significant boost to get a C/GT on plane probably, so you would need two or three of them biggrin.gif

Any of us from SoCal or the Lake Havascrew area in general know that many of those boats are purchased by guys with small hands and feet and big pocket books. dry.gif There are some amazing off-shore boats rolling under London Bridge at 15mph with twin blown 502s just burbling.

One customer a few years back brought us two 502s out of his brand new boat. After solid roller cams, couple blowers, etc we were easily well over 1,000HP each (I really wanted to dyno those!) and they were probably not so hot below 5000rpm but apparently that boat was a rocket ship. I know that guy NEVER got those things wrung out all the way and typically he was cruising London Bridge at 15mph with the Buffet playing.

Built a blown 350 SBC for a stretched golf cart so the customer could bar hop in style... but that is another story.
krazykonrad
The picture makes it look bent!
Konrad blink.gif
richardmosselman
Click to view attachmentHere's the original concept!
richardmosselman
Ditto
richardmosselman
Putt-putt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.