Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying A New Windshiled .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTPatrick
Folks,

Do you folks out there have an opinion on this . local glass shop in Memphis cangetand install a front windshield on a 914 . But . . . . it's a PPG window and has to be shipped in from around Kansas . To install it glass only , so far no rubber gasket , will cost parts + S/H = $595 plus tax . blink.gif

Any ideas if this is excessive ? confused24.gif sheeplove.gif

Anyone know of an actual supplier/mfg of the generic rubber gasket/seal that has been previously mentioned in other postings and where I can get it ?

Still need to sell my Caddy CTS before I can get a 914 . No room at the Inn . Anyone interested ???? aktion035.gif

Thanks for any input guys . thumb3d.gif

GTPatrick smoke.gif
firstknight13
sad.gif way too much look on ebay 300 tops for the shield and 75-100 install maybe you want to delete the trim add 75.00 i did !!! J N PHILIPS GLASS i guess it's a chain.......... biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Total rip off.....

4 years ago I paid $225 although I supplied the clips. BE SURE TO USE NEW CLIPS.
McMark
I just got two windshields for $215 each for the glass and $85 installation.
Allan
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 25 2007, 06:50 PM) *

I just got two windshields for $215 each for the glass and $85 installation.

(But you have nice buns... ) According to Ron... thumb3d.gif

That's a killer price...
ptravnic
Agreed w/the rest of the troops - $595 is EXCESSIVE. I picked up a pair of used windshields a couple years back for $100 each and about the same for an install (and the guy came to my place to install).

-pt
Gint
I'm guessing that some of these comments are probably from people that are comparing apples to oranges.

I would pay a bit of a premium for a PPG w/s glass.

But that's just me...
Martin Baker
They are still available new from PORSCHE, $375.00 I just checked on them...this is the non tinted version.
McMark
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 25 2007, 09:03 PM) *

I'm guessing that some of these comments are probably from people that are comparing apples to oranges.

I would pay a bit of a premium for a PPG w/s glass.

But that's just me...

Mine is PPG @ $215 each.

QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Apr 26 2007, 12:39 AM) *

They are still available new from PORSCHE, $375.00 I just checked on them...this is the non tinted version.

That's worth it to me. I'll need one for my Aubergine car. idea.gif
Thanks for checking it out and posting Martin. thumb3d.gif
Tobra
I am going to paint mine with the windshield out, then installed later with trim. It seems like any glass shop could install this for you, isn't one windshield pretty much like any other?
GTPatrick
Are the " clips " needed on a window that will not use the metal trim pieces ? Do the clips hold the glass centered in place or do they help attach the metal trim in place ? Would the clips be needed if one were to use the rubber seal/gasket ? Vis a Vis , metal trim vs. rubber trim piece
People say that they got the glass , PPG for $215 , but where and how long ago ? Is there some distributor mail order place that sells them ? Personally I do not trust Evil Bay and the con artists that sell on it .

Living in the Mid South is a pain because of the limited supply of good auto parts establishments when it concerns foreign cars and Porsche's in particular .

Also , what about the door window pieces ? the main window and the sail panel piece ? Any problems there as to being NLA or just hard to get ?

Thanks for any feedback .
McMark
I bought my PPG glass a week ago from a local glass guy. That was his cost so expect to pay a little more. His distributor said that these two windshield were the last in the San Francisco/Sacramento area.
JPB
Shop around bro. At that price, the dude was probably a con jober or it has passed through a few hands. beer.gif
GTPatrick
Again , are the clips needed only for windows with the metal trim pieces . Or are they needed to hold th ewindow in place no matter what kind of trim rubber or metal is used ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(GTPatrick @ Apr 27 2007, 11:55 AM) *

Again , are the clips needed only for windows with the metal trim pieces . Or are they needed to hold th ewindow in place no matter what kind of trim rubber or metal is used ?

the clips are ONLY needed for the chrome trim ...
bye1.gif Andy
GTPatrick
Sir Andy , . . . . Thanks for the info . At least that'll make it cheaper to put the window in . Now all I have to do is get info on replacing all of the door glass and I'm on my way . BTW the doors have no glass and that vertical guide channell.

GTP smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.