Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did not see this coming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
I built a nice solid 1911 motor with all new or rebuilt components, I fired it a couple of weeks ago, did the 20-25 min cam break-in and tuned in the carbs, I drove it around the block and decided to put newer carbs on it. The carbs went on this past Monday, I fired the motor and started to tune the carbs, the motor just stopped, I tried to start it and the starter just clunked, you could feel it through the entire car, I played with it and got the motor to start again it ran for 30 secs or so and then stopped same starter clunk, no movement. I pulled the starter and ran it on a bench, no problem, put in a differnt starter same thing clunk, the starters were getting really hot, put the car in 5th gear and tried to move it...no go...two of us tried no go, put one wheel up in the air and tried to turn the wheel nope!

I'm very frustrated, it seems to be siezed, not understanding why it ran for close to 45 mintues without a hitch, then no go. ANy suggestion of things to try before I pull the motor? I'll give anything a try!! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
McMark
Ring gap problem perhaps? Piston rings are gapped because as they heat up the expand. As they expand the gap gets smaller. Once the ends hit each other, no more room for expansion and they go outwards against the cylinder. That obviously increases friction and exacerbates the problem. Finally the piston will seize.

Did you have good oil pressure at the time of failure?

Regardless, that REALLY sucks. sad.gif
rick 918-S
Pull it out. Man that sux!
SGB
Pull the plugs and see if it will spin. If it does then check to see if the timing was correct- too much advance will cause my high comp motor to "KKKLUUNK!!" when the plug fires before there is enough rotational energy going to carry it over tdc. Especially if the battery is low.
Gint
Ouch! Damn that sucks. I hope that works out for the best.
Cap'n Krusty
There's always the cylinder full of gasoline trick, but my money's on a seized bearing. The Cap'n
brer
Fuel Hammer. smile.gif

I remember an article in Panorama the Meastro wrote on that.
1bad914
I will probably recheck the timing and valve clearance, it ran just before it stopped. Really frustrating, it will probably come...sux!!!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(1bad914 @ Apr 26 2007, 12:31 PM) *

I will probably recheck the timing and valve clearance, it ran just before it stopped. Really frustrating, it will probably come...sux!!!

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the new motor. It is probably something simple like wrench you left in the crank case.

Just Kidding beer.gif
1bad914
McMark,
You may have been right, I went out yesterday on a whim and turned the key, the motor turned over, I tinkered a sec and got it to fire and actually idle albeit a little rough. It ran for 10 minutes or so, I went inside for something and it had stopped when I came back out, I got in and turned the key, it slowly turned over and started, I reved it once and it stopped dead, then the kkklunkk from the starter.

Here is were I confess my sin, I did check the ring gap...on one cylinder! I am usually the most anal motor builder, but one time I cut a corner and I pay the price. You live and learn. In my opinion the ring gap is the number one culprit, but knowing that a cool motor starts, any other suggestions?
Aaron Cox
check your timing....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.