Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Can Tow Truck drivers enter and alter/tamper?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
I am wondering if anyone here knows the law regarding a tow truck driver entering a vehicle, opening the hood and interfere with a cars drivetrain in order to tow it away.

I confronted a tow truck driver and meter maid about this, driver was under the hood of a new Audi with tools, and they stonewalled me and threatened me with an Interference citation when I started taking photos with my camera phone.

The tow truck drivers reaction when I pulled my camera was serious panic even though I had no intention of pursuing anything, just hate when officials wont address public inquiries into their actions.

So whats the deal here in the golden state, can they legally tamper with your car?

(it was not my car FYI)
highways
This should be interesting. I don't know for sure... but my gut says no. Since a car is considered to be property like a house- it cannot be entered without a warrant. They can look in the windows... but going inside requires consent or a judge as far as I know.
So.Cal.914
Here in Cali they get away with, what they get away with. If they are repoing your

car they get away with just about anything. Someone I knew years back did it

for a living, great stories.
brer
The car had a citation and a big sticker saying car will be towed for unpaid parking tickets. The maid had just cited it and he had the cable connected underneath.

I walked by on the way to the store and he was in the engine compartment. I came out of the store after shopping and he was still in the engine compartment messing with it. Thats when I thought something was worth taking a look see at.

Technically it was being impounded under the authority of the City, which is why they threw up the Interfering warning. The Maid actually kept moving around trying to stand in front of my camera.... amusing does not even begin to describe the look of her dodging around in front of me.

smile.gif
John
Only if they don't get caught.

They don't get caught when they are hired by the local government and protected by officers of the "law".
DBCooper
Four wheel drive cars can't be towed normally, so Audi and Subaru (and probably other's, but I don't know) have a provision to deactivate their systems for towing. That's probably what he was doing.

Do you have photos of her dancing? That might be cool to see.
Allan
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
brer
She was too close to the lens and they came out blurry. sad.gif
john rogers
I would call the guy on channel 51, Michael Turko and turn him loose on it. I hope you got the name of the towing company and of course detals like where it was, etc. There was just a big blow up about "fake" security people in strip malls calling in tow truck drivers to grab the cars as soon as the owner went into a store and they made a big mistake when they grabbed an lawyer's car. In the city of San Diego it is illegal to just grab a car like that and the only people that can ticket them are actual police. Did the parking Nazi have her scooter there, etc? Sounds like a rip off at work to me.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Apr 26 2007, 04:12 PM) *

Four wheel drive cars can't be towed normally, so Audi and Subaru (and probably other's, but I don't know) have a provision to deactivate their systems for towing. That's probably what he was doing.

Where'd you hear that? It's patently false. This is the temporarily polite Cap'n speaking. Try not to get used to it, 'cause it won't last long .......... The Cap'n
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 26 2007, 04:20 PM) *

Thats Ok were used to that here...right Andy?
messix
it's likely a automatic car and he was trying to get at the shift linkage to put in neutral.
lazy P.O.S didn't want to break out the dolly.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 26 2007, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Apr 26 2007, 04:12 PM) *

Where'd you hear that? It's patently false. This is the temporarily polite Cap'n speaking. Try not to get used to it, 'cause it won't last long .......... The Cap'n

Patently false? Too strong a words, Cap'n, at least for the Subaru. I didn't hear it, I read it in my car's owner's manual. Subaru requires you to tow automatic cars with all four wheels off the ground or on two wheels only for short distances with the center differential disengaged by pulling a plug out of a switch box under the hood. I just looked at Audi's owner's manual as well, to confirm what (my bad) I'd heard, and it probably wasn't to disable the AWD (on a Quattro), but to disable the anti-tow (a tilt sensor) theft deterrent.

Sorry, Cap'n, definitely don't want to test your patience.
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 26 2007, 05:33 PM) *

alfred.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
brer
the look on his face said guilty.

the look on hers said....

I'll be back.
brer
Parking Enforcement Officers in the City of San Diego are employees of the City of San Diego and not of the Chief of Police as far as I know. Which is why she never ordered me to leave or step back. If you interfere they can sting ya, but as far as I know they dont have the authority to tell you to do crapola.

Not even Citations for moving violations according to the Municipal Code. I think Mail Carriers have more authority actually.
Andyrew
Audi's Quattro system is fully mechanical limited slip..(which is why it ROCKS!)

so.. they we
wernt disconnecting it...
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 26 2007, 09:03 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 26 2007, 05:33 PM) *

alfred.gif

biggrin.gif Andy

av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.