Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got to get to it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
my oil psi sender extension hose is leaking at the base where it goes into the block. it is hard to get to, about 2" below the level of the tin shroud. I really don't want to pull the tin off with the motor in the car, big PIA although i have done it.

any ideas on getting to it? i thought about getting a cheap wrench set and bending with some heat and BFH at right angle.
Aaron Cox
deep socket with a slot up the side to let the hose pass through it....

one of my specialty tools i made
machina
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 26 2007, 06:43 PM) *

deep socket with a slot up the side to let the hose pass through it....

one of my specialty tools i made

hey thats a great idea. its a really small socket though, maybe 6 or 8mm. you think a slot to clear that hose will fit on that size?
john rogers
Or a crowsfoot would work. How did it get tightened in the first place, before the tin went on?
Aaron Cox
has to be a reaaaaally deep socket. i want to say 8mm was the size
NoEcm
QUOTE(machina @ Apr 26 2007, 04:42 PM) *

i thought about getting a cheap wrench set and bending with some heat and BFH at right angle.

BTDT on a wrench for another project. After bending the wrench it may or may not fit depending on the radius of the bend. It looks pretty tight down there.

You might want to consider buying a cheap wrench, cutting it and then welding it back together to form an "L" shaped wrench. The radius will end up much tighter than if you bend it.
spunone
So Aaron you have one I may ask to borrow sometime in the near future
Aaron Cox
gotta find it first....
RoadGlue
It's either 11 or 12 mm. I just did this yesterday. I purchased the line from aircooled.net, so if you bought yours elsewhere then it might be different. But it must be bigger than 8 or 9 mm...
So.Cal.914
1/4" drive crows foot should work.
bperry
You guys must have really small hoses.
Since my tins are off right now I measured mine.
It was much bigger than I thought.
Mine is actually 9/16" (~14.3 mm) yep its not metric, go figure.

One thing that is true on mine is both ends have the same size nut on it.

You can probably fit an open end wrench down in there far enough to
figure out what size it is.

Now you've got me wondering exactly what I've got.
Guess I'll see if the threads are hopelessly stripped when I remove it.

--- bill
Dave_Darling
Since it doesn't need much torque on it, you might be able to get a pair of needle-nose vise-grips on it.

--DD
rhodyguy
go to the plumbing section of your local hardware store and buy a small Basin wrench. it'll work swell and they're fairly cheap. i'll go find one i have and post a picture is a few minutes.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.