Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electrical falure on a spectacular level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
so i'm replacing a couple instrument lights and i decide to tear into a minor brake light issue (the "bright" elements are my running lights, and the running element fires when the brakes are depressed).

i have a kit with all the replacement bulbs so i proceed to swap out bulbs. seems simple enough, but somethings goofy and one bulb works correctly in one spot and another doesn't, or i swap out new for old and it screws everything up, so it's nutty. that and my reverse lights don't work, so i test the contacts and there's something in the wiring that's wrong, because they won't come on that way.

ANYWAY, after a couple hours of screwing around i find the golden combo and everything works ('cept the reverse lights... but so what for now). the turn signals, running lights, brakes, e-lites, bingo!

i proceed to put the lenses back on and secure everything. i go to test it and now i only have running lights and e-flashers. that's not all... along with all the other things not working are these items:
  • dashboard gen light
  • dashboard e-brake light
  • oil pressure light
  • oil pressure
  • turn signal indicator
  • fuel level indicator
  • high beam indicator
while these items still work:
  • gauge lights
  • clock
  • wipers
  • headlights/high beams
there aren't words to describe my frustration! WTF.gif

any clues? i know there's a short somewhere, but why from just reinstalling the lenses???????
headbang.gif

paul
edit: oh, and the e-brake indicator flashes with the e-lights when the brake is engaged...
SirAndy
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Apr 26 2007, 04:42 PM) *

i have a kit with all the replacement bulbs

red flag ...

you *certain* they have the correct wattage? might want to double-check as you can get all sorts of weirdness if they are off the shelf amurican bulbs from your local flaps.

those will *not* work correctly ...
bye1.gif Andy
lotus_65
thanks andy,

i got the bulbs from automotion, no flaps stuff here.
here's the product.

i figured it should be ok, it sez they're for a porsche.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 26 2007, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Apr 26 2007, 04:42 PM) *

i have a kit with all the replacement bulbs

red flag ...

you *certain* they have the correct wattage? might want to double-check as you can get all sorts of weirdness if they are off the shelf amurican bulbs from your local flaps.

those will *not* work correctly ...
bye1.gif Andy

Sorry, Andy. They'll work just fine. Not the dash lights, 'cause they don't make those for 'Murrican iron (fogs, too), but everything is an off the shelf bulb. 1156, single filament; 1157, dual filament; 57, marker lights; and 67. Perhaps others, but you have to LOOK for the right size/configuration/wattage.

BTW, I'd sure look at the fuses, and have a wiring diageram at hand.

And be SURE you have the double filament bulbs in the sockets with TWO contacts ................................... The Cap'n
lotus_65
thanks, cap'n.

last year i installed the jwest fuse box, so after this happened i looked at a couple fuses. the issue seems so broad though, it's like almost half the fuses would go to cause some of these issues.

the double filiments have offset bosses so they wont twist into the seat on the other sockets... so they're all good.

electrical diagrams and metering might as well be written in mandarin for all i know. i can't take that on, and solving this will be really expensive at a garage.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 26 2007, 06:34 PM) *

Sorry, Andy. They'll work just fine.

i know the right ones will work fine, even if they're made in the US. what i was trying to say is that if you just grab them off the shelf at your local flaps from the "iron" section, they will look the same, but the wattage won't be correct.

getting the correct wattage is the key here ... should have explained that a bit better, i guess ...
bye1.gif Andy
McMark
Andy, the 1156/1157 is the 'american' bulb. The 'german' bulb has a silver base, but is identical in terms of pin location, etc. I.E. they are interchangeable. But the 'german' bulb has a different wattage.

The factory manual lists the following wattages:
Rear Parking/Brake Light: 21W / 5W
Backup Light: 21W
Rear Blinker: 25 W
Front Parking/Blinker: 21W / 5W

'American' Bulbs list the following wattages:
1157: 27W / 8W
1156: 27W

Correct replacement bulb number are:
17916: 21W / 5W
17635: 21W
7582: 25W
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 27 2007, 06:04 PM) *

Andy, the 1156/1157 is the 'american' bulb. The 'german' bulb has a silver base, but is identical in terms of pin location, etc. I.E. they are interchangeable. But the 'german' bulb has a different wattage.

that was my point. they look the same but the wattage is different. i just need to learn how to communicate better ...
bye1.gif Andy
rick 918-S
Check the flat connector at the relay board for the engine function to the dash. check the multi ground next to the relay board. sounds like a ground issue. I hate wiring.
SGB
Dualfiliment bulbs CAN be put in the correct socket- turned the WRONG way. BTDT. Made some crazzy chit happen too. Ya might wanna check that.
lotus_65
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 27 2007, 11:03 PM) *

sounds like a ground issue. I hate wiring.

well that's basically what it was. i had painted the compartment after fixing minor issues while the engine was out and i also clear coated the fan housing. (check the current thread started by pbanders)

so i dremeled off the paint at the ground points and added a strap to the alternator bracket and zoom, up she came. i also found a loose and frayed wire at the amp gauge, so i fixed and tightened that down.

now that i see those bulb specs, i'm going to double check that... (thanks, mcmark)

thanks too to everyone else. it's a really nice weekend here, and i'm glad to be running it around.
McMark
Thanks for the question! I had to do some digging to find all that info, but it was worth it. I'm better informed because of you. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.