Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another MEGASQUIRT Success!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
Well it beens an interesting 6 months since the low-end rebuild was completed and this was the first day that I've really felt the car was back to its previous self.

I pulled off the stock FI (ECU, MPS, TPS) and replaced it with the Megasquirt v2.2 FI Controller. This was my first drive without the computer plugged in to do programming. Thanks Dave Hunt for the dyno'd VE table & others for your guidance.

I've made a few boo-boos along the way - like pluggin the MAP sensor into the throttle body instead of the air plenum - but its been a challenging experience so far. And I'm not done yet.

I'm just thrilled to have the car back to its quick, agile, responsive self again. driving.gif

Details and pics to follow later.

Enjoy!
Hi_Fi_Guy
Congratulations... I can't wait to rwad more about the switch to MS.

Post pics and info soon.
RustyWa
It sure seems like there has been quite a few of these MS projects *finishing and running* ever since Dave Hunt has shared all of his MS base numbers.

smilie_pokal.gif
3d914
You're right there rusty. It'll be another week or two before I can get on the dyno, so I'm glad I can driver the car till then.

It's my daily driver - don't cha know.
DNHunt
Gerard

Glad to hear you got it going. I'll be interested in the dyno results. Keep us posted

Dave
redshift
WTG Gerard! smile.gif

Reading that made me excited, I'd better get to work..

M
fiid
Good work dude,

The Megasquirt is gorgeous. Do you have WB02 as well??

Fiid.
3d914
Hey guys,

I just got back from the shop. We were setting the O2 & Hydrocarbons. Since I'm running Open-Loop (no built-in O2 sensor) I can't realy data-log very effectively.

We started off at 14.7 for the air-fuel ratio, and adjusted it to try and get the gasses down - they were off the scale. We found that reducing the Injection Per Cylinder from 4 to 2 helped a lot, and we were able to stay at 14.7. It only required minor adjustment to the VE table to make it work for emissions.

I'll be going this week for the emissions test. Cross your fingers. I'll keep you posted.

Enjoy!
DNHunt
Gerard

Why were you trying 4 injections per cylinder. That would hve doubled the amount of fuel you were getting. No wonder it was off the scale. It would have been really rich. Sounds like you have it handled.

Dave
3d914
Dave,

I went to four/cycle to smooth out the running. But that was when I had the MAP sensor reading off the Throttle body. Once I moved the MAP to the plenum, I didn't go back and reset the injections/cycle.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, even 4 inj/cycle results in the same amount of fuel delivered as 2. Its just divided into smaller increments. It may actually make a difference in actuality though, since MS doesn't sinc the injections with the firing - its just all batch injection - and depending on the size of the offset between them, you could end up with more fuel.

I'll be posting pics here this weekend of my preliminary wiring. I wanted everything working and in order before I did the finish work.

Enjoy! burnout.gif
crash914
How did you mount your boxes? Mine are laying all over the rear trunk at present..

I am going to relocate the battery to the front floor, then fab a mount for the relay box....great fun! herb
3d914
OOOOOOeeeeeee! - She screams!

I just spent the best $250 ever on my 914 by going to the Dyno. And not just your regular everyday dyno either. DYno-Comp here in Scottsdale, AZ has a dyno that applies continuous load so that you get a much more accurate representation of driving loads, where most dynos use a free-wheeling drum to simulate load.

One solid hour of dyno time produced a VE table that would have taken weeks to get right. It turned out to sufficiently different than Dave's - primarily because I have the WEB73 cam.

SO with Euro pistons, WEB73 cam I'm gettin 90HP to the wheels at 5200rpm, and over 100FtLbs of torque at 4500rpm. Also the Torque curve goes from 75 to 100 to 75 from 1800 rpm over to redline. Too cool!

Driving the car is a blast again.

I was finally able to get the car through emissions Friday. One month and $300 was all it took! I couldn't have done it without the help of Don Jackson's Independent Porsche.

Herb: I will be mounting in the rear trunk. The ECU and Relay board are right next to each other. For my temporary test phase they're tape (double-sided) to each other and the trunk carpet.
Pictures will be coming tommorow.

Enjoy! givemebeer.gif
DNHunt
Way to go. You'll love it

Dave
Brad Roberts
Kickass. I love to hear 914 success stories.

Good job Gerard clap56.gif

b
3d914
Until I get this finished up, I decided to post my continued progress here. Plus it can serve as reference for anyone with the #73WEBCAM considering Megasquirt.

Heres what I'm using:
  • Stock Ait Temp Sensor #1
  • Stock Cyl-Head Temp Sensor #2
  • Stock Injectors - 380cc/min (36.2lb/hr)
  • Stock Ignition (points) & Bosch Blue coil
  • Stock Relay Board (- Cold Start power, & Fuel pump pwr routed thru MS)
  • Bosch Throttle switch 0 280 122 001
  • MegaSquirt V2.2 board
  • MegaSquirt Relay Board (not shown)
  • 4x - 6ohm/10watt resistors in-line with the resistors
  • No O2 sensor - running Open Loop
  • Modified pilot hole on TPS valve to balance idle
Here's a pic of the temp trunk install and temp wiring:
3d914
Here's a shot of the VE table in 3D.
crash914
Are you willing to post your Ve and variable table?

I know Dyno time is expensive, so no sweat if you don't.

I am now thinking about seeing what I can to with Megasquirt, stroker and hot cam......Now that I am snowed in, the driveway is torn up and there is salt on the road, what better way to spend the long cold winter....

herb
Steve Thacker
Could you tell me what the cost for the MS unit is?

Thanks!
airsix
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Dec 15 2003, 09:30 AM)
Could you tell me what the cost for the MS unit is?

Thanks!

Would you like that measured in dollars, hours, hair-loss, or marriage-strain?
wink.gif
-Ben M.
3d914
Hey guys,

So far I have about $300 into the MS system for parts as listed above. Add about $250 for the dyno time.

Here is a crappy picture of my A/F - HP curve from the dyno session.
IPB Image

Here is the VE table from the dyno. I have been making minor mods to it in the idle, cruise, & off-throttle areas.IPB Image

I'm still waiting on some new connectors to complete the finished wiring & installation. More pictures pending.

Regards,
3d914
If anyones interested, heres a picture of the HP/Torque graph from the dyno.
IPB Image

90 big ones at the wheels. ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
That is pretty good. What where the specs on the engine again ?? Through stock HE's and a Bursh ??

We typically see 100hp at the rear wheels with stock injection/header/K+N/Euro P+C's 8.2:1 comp.

B
Steve Thacker
Would you like that measured in dollars, hours, hair-loss, or marriage-strain?

-Ben M.

I think I'll just ask how much on a complete unit wink.gif
Asking the rest might cause a momentary flashback and someone might start pumping rounds into the crowd laugh.gif

Also I'm trying to find a way to sneak this past the ole lady and buy one. Any tips from the professional "Honey it was cheap!" liars laugh.gif
crash914
smilie_pokal.gif congrats on a sucessful project.

Nice torque curve.

now the fun part, cleaning up. you did what I did with the resisters. except I bolted the cover next to the relay box.

I will be relocating my battery and will build a shelf for the relay box and resisters, then cut a hole for the connector to the brain.

way to go!!
AlexO
What kind of computer power does it take for the MS System?
--Alex
Brad Roberts
Hey Alex,

The MS system is built completely buy the person who purchases the kit. The kits run around 120$ or so for just the pieces to complete the "brain". You actualyl solder the whole thing together and then make a wiring harness.

B
AlexO
But as far as programing and data logging, what kind of system? I picked up an old lap top that will be dedicated to MS. Just making sure it has the power to run everything effectivly. I'll probably be buyng the parts soon. I'm overseas right now, so it would be a good project while I'm away from the car.
--Alex
3d914
Alex,

Megasquirt talks to the PC via a DB9 connector. The tuning/logging software works under Win95, 98, NT, & 2000. I run it under Win98 (desktop PC) and NT 4.0 (laptop PC).

The data logging is written to ascci files which can be read into Excel, or standard text editor. They also have a Windows program for viewing the log data visually. Haven't tried it though.

Hope this helps.
AlexO
Good deal. Sounds like it should run fine on my old laptop (P2 500MHz). I do have a few other questions, but I'll start a new thread as some are off topic slightly.
--Alex
3d914
Latest update.

I was having some idle issues that I just couldn't isolate. The Manifold Pressure would register very high at all idle temps - near 85-93 (absolute). You're thinking what I'm thinkin - vacuum leak.

There's really only one vacuum hose left and thats the main hose from the plenum to the MAP sensor. I replaced injector seals, resealed the intake runner gaskets, replaced the oil breather hose, etc. No go.

I then happened to spend a day at Phoenix International Raceway running some Driver's Ed on the road course. Tooo much funnn!

It seems that my new engine (with under 3000 mi) was still settling in. Even though I did a valve adjust at about 1000 mi, I checked them after the track day at PIR and found almost all were tight again. After a quick re-adjustment (now I sound like my chiropractor), the manifold pressure was back to its normal value - around 70.

I still have yet to assemble the new cables that I've had for 2 months. DUh! Been spending too much time chasing other little problems, like new front wheel bearings, new (used) heat exchangers, new drive shaft seals, etc. You know how it goes.

So maybe by summer (its already hitting 70+ here) I'll actually have the heat back in, and the new cabling routed for the MS. Then all I'll have to do is warm-start tuning. Can't wait.
3d914
Here's a pic of the final install. I'm pleased with the location with only one exception. There still seems to be too much heat transferred from the engine bay to this portion of the trunk.

I have 3/8 inch nylon spacers between the trunk and the mounting flanges, but still more heat is transfered than what I would like.

I'm considering adding a small fan to the MS cover to assist in cooling.
TimT
I'm considering adding a small fan to the MS cover to assist in cooling.

FWIW the TEC3 has a pancake fan to keep things cool...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.