Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how i delt with my tank issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
my old tank had a patch when a screw had been run into the tank from inside the pass compartment. my car had the *gas* smell but not all of the time. i suspect the patch was weeping when the fuel was above that point. the strainer in the tank was loaded with junk.

the replacement tank is super clean on the inside but needed a little cosmetics. here's how i delt with the clean up. pulled the outlet pipes, fill piece and fuel sender, and flushed the tank with water. very little debris came out. Oil Eater, laquer thinner wipe down, buff surface with a scotch brite pad, rewipe and let dry. next used Marhyde (magicly coverts the rust into a purple/black, sandable, paintable surface) as per instructions and let it set overnight with a small space heater blowing on the tank.

painted the outside with *Zero-rust* paint. a little spendy, but great stuff. i think it's the same paint eric uses on his suspension pieces. i used it on mine when i did the front end. it has held up very well. let dry overnight and the new tank is ready for final assem and installation today. i also put in a chris folley ss supply line and all new rubber fuel line. the coiled line in the tank well is long enough to attach to the tank while it's well above the hole and should fall into a tiddy coil as the tank goes into place.

k
rhodyguy
inside shot of the tank. this is where the strainer/sock lives. to me, the area looks pretty damn nice for 33 years. and a clean strainer/sock. the strainer on the old tank had heavy crap/rust about 3/4" up from the bottom and was dirty the rest of the way up. it was a wonder any fuel flowed at all. nice clean fuel supply for my fresh 40 idfs.

k
SirAndy
nice score on the clean tank! smilie_pokal.gif

i've gotta clean mine out too. it's got some crud on the bottom and some pitting where it had sat on the felt ...

clean tank = cheap insurance for that nice engine in the back

smash.gif Andy
Allan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 28 2007, 10:31 AM) *

clean tank = cheap insurance for that nice engine in the back

smash.gif Andy

agree.gif Doing mine today as well...
swood
Are those little filter socks still available?
Allan
QUOTE(swood @ Apr 28 2007, 10:47 AM) *

Are those little filter socks still available?

You can get them at bug shops. They're like $1.99.

I did have to make my own gaskets last time though...
rhodyguy
something to take note of when you're looking for the strainer/sock. the strainers slip down over the upper portion of the outlet tube, effectively reducing the useful area. as the crud builds up less of the sock has to do the same ammount of work. fouled screen and more fouled screen. seek out the 3 3/4" one.

k
rhodyguy
finished up yest. i left the factory finish on the expansion tank and fuel neck. they were in good condition, i did'nt want to bother with them, and a little patina is ok in my book. the old setup left me with the 3/4 on the gauge on a fillup, sometimes, and slow to register the true use of fuel. i had 2 sending units so the question was which one to use. take them both apart to inspect them? nope. i tried the *fall* test. holding one in each hand, i shook them gently to make sure the float was at the bottom and then turned them upside down a few times. one consistantly got hung up about where half way would be. it would take a not so gentle shaking to get it to fall. i went with the one that traveled the tube at will. at this point i'll leave the charcoal canister off. if the gassy smell returns i'll try the canisiter and hook it up to the fan shroud lines.

k
Allan
I pulled my tank apart yesterday as well and was very suprised to see that the inside was really clean.

I pulled the one apart from my '75 a couple of years ago and found about 1/2 pound of rust in the bottom.
Root_Werks
Great job Kevin! Your trunk area is looking really good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.