Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what happened in corona today? stuff got done!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
So.... wake up this am, and run to costa mesa RD machine.
picked up my
-rebuilt heads-
-honed barrels-
-hastings rings-

craig downs came over, and we began some reassembly.. and parts cleaning.
i cc'd my heads and came up with just over 52cc which will make some great compression.

craig made a wicked filter console blockoff plate with an AN 10 fitting on the exit.
38mm oil pump installed, and -10 an lines for full flow built and installed

so with a 71 x 94 motor with 52cc heads, .030 deckheight will give me a CR of 9.3:1.

craig is the man. gapped rings, cleaned up mahle euro pistons, and brought over some loctite threas sealant for the galley plugs and the an fitting adapters.

so without shims i have .014 deckheight, which means i need some .016 shims to nail .030 deck.
need to get some base shims....
------------------------
so then we went o'er to bill grimsteads casa. he wanted to verify timing and chase an exhaust leak, and possible carb dial in.

so craig chased the leak... to no avail yet.
made it run and verified/repainted timing mark.

so at 3200 rpm we dialed in 28 degreesa on his unilite, and checked it idle, and it was a few degrees before ZERO!

so his 'set up' dizzy escaped the setting up phase LOL. easy fix to set the inital advance to 12 and final to 28

so all in all... a productive day in corona.

carry on.
AA
craig downs
Yep a good time had by all
McMark
I just got the phone message. dry.gif I'm upset that the Mallory wasn't set up correctly. mad.gif
Grimstead
Well after talking to Mark last night, it looks like our assumptions were right (Thanks for the help Mark). The Mallory has the right springs on it but the advance wasn't set before it left Jake's shop. sad.gif

I just finished changing the gap to about half of what I started out with. Below is a picture of the before, I didn't take one after cause I'm sure I'm gonna have to do more tweaking till it is right (Anyone want to loan me a degree key?).

Wish me luck...
headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
have jake send you the 16 degree key.
Brando
Aaron I have barrel shims let me know.
Grimstead
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 30 2007, 03:29 PM) *

have jake send you the 16 degree key.

He's off taping a TV show & I can only imagine how long it would take to get him to send it out after he is back. Craig needs some springs anyway & I could use the key so I might just go that route. It's only money (that I never seem to have enough of sad.gif )
McMark
Just try it out. You'll spend more time ordering the parts than just doing some Guess-N-Check.
Aaron Cox
IPB Image

send the tool out.... because its the right thing to do.
McMark
Do it once, do it right? icon8.gif

av-943.gif
Aaron Cox
wouldnt be doing it again if it was setup right smile.gif
McMark
Technically, you're not 'doing it again'. wink.gif

And you can bitch at Jake when he gets back.

Once again, purchase this, install it and the average Type IV owner will find that it is damn near perfect right out of the box.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 30 2007, 05:26 PM) *

Technically, you're not 'doing it again'. wink.gif

And you can bitch at Jake when he gets back.

LOL.. good technicality LOL

only wub.gif for the markster
Grimstead
I'm gonna start her up tonight and see how close I got.

Should we start placing bets on how many tries it will take?

I'm guessing 3
Allan
clap56.gif Sounds like you got alot done.

See you at the WCR.

If my car is ready? blink.gif
Dr. Roger
Aaron,

What did you have to do to change the idle timing setting but not the high RPM setting?

Springs? Weights?
Allan
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Apr 30 2007, 06:16 PM) *

Aaron,

What did you have to do to change the idle timing setting but not the high RPM setting?

Springs? Weights?

laugh.gif You talk as though his car is actually running.... beerchug.gif
Dr. Roger
Mr. Grimstead's dizzy. =)
Aaron Cox
you change the springs to get the right curve (all advance in by 3000 rpm) and the 'throw' or degrees of advance built into the dizzy..... (with the large gap pictured... it was like 35 degrees of advance)

for a 12 initial, 28 final advance setup, he needs 16 degrees of throw (28-12 = 16)

so you change the 'stops' on the dizzy to reduce the throw.
Grimstead
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Apr 30 2007, 06:32 PM) *

Mr. Grimstead's dizzy. =)

That's Mr Grimstead to you oh, never mind. cool.gif
Grimstead
Well I think I got it on the first try w00t.gif

I took apart the Mallory yesterday and changed the spread gap to a little less than half of what it was.

Today I went out and set the idle at 12 for a little over 1100rpms. I then brought the rpms up to 3000 & the timing was 28. How about that?

One thing I did notice is it hits full advance at about 2500, not sure if that is normal or not. confused24.gif

I then took her out for a little drive and it does drive better. I noticed more pull at the higher rpms. driving.gif I also think my head temp came down some (225) but that might be my bad memory.

Now my next step is to trick coax beg, Aaron & Craig back over to double check finalize the carb adjustments. rocking nana.gif

Now to fix that exhaust leak.... smash.gif
McMark
smilie_pokal.gif

But.... 12* @ 1100 rpm? Seems a little high.
Grimstead
QUOTE(McMark @ May 1 2007, 08:55 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

But.... 12* @ 1100 rpm? Seems a little high.

Yes it is, but I didn't want to mess with the idle tonight. Do you think it will make a big difference? unsure.gif
McMark
Not a big difference. But I wouldn't be surprised if your got a degree or two of advance by 1100. You're probably getting 1* advance per 100-150 rpm.
craig downs
Give me a call tomorrow Bill and I'll come over and do some carb tuning.
Nice work figuring out that dizzy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.