seanery
I wanna put a 3.2 in whitey...

anything in particular to look for?
anything to stay away from?
anyone wanna trade for ?????? wink.gif

tia thumb3d.gif
Gint
No you don't...

What you *need* is a running 914. It's been so long for you, a stocker oughta be enough. wink.gif
ConeDodger
clown2.gif
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 29 2007, 07:26 AM) *

I wanna put a 3.2 in whitey...

anything in particular to look for?
anything to stay away from?
anyone wanna trade for ?????? wink.gif

tia thumb3d.gif

Good choice. Leak down and compression tests are a good idea. They have some common oil leaks that are mostly not really a problem. Head studs. They pull. If the motor you buy has a paper trail look to see that they replaced the head studs. Hopefully, reciepts that show Race Ware or steel studs like the factory used to use. Dilavar shouldn't be a deal breaker but... well, they are the problem.
Engine came with 207hp at the FW from the factory but with early SSI and a less restrictive exhaust plus a chip you can get 220. I have heard that there are a couple MAF kits out there that include a replacement for the airflow meter and a low restriction air cleaner and chip that along with the exhaust will pop you up to about 240hp.
These motors really wake up at 4000 rpm... That is when you get the big smiles. Lighter car + 240hp and you will smile all the way to the circus... Sorry. Couldn't resist that one. clown2.gif
GeorgeRud
I think the major advantage is the Motronics injection system that is calibrated to run well on today's gasoline (or excuse for same). I had a 911 with a 3.2, and it's a torque monster when compared with early 2.0 liter 911 engines. Very easy to drive, starts easily, and is pretty well put together. Major weak points in a nonraced engine are the valve guides, which wear out much earlier that they should.

Having said that, I have a modified 2.7 in my 914-6, and love the feel of a cammed engine, Weber carbs, etc. It somehow seems to go with the 914-6's character - more of a gocart. It revs quicker and makes noises that are hard to beat.

I'll have to put a 3.2 in the next conversion and compare. I think that any of the larger displacement 911 engines, or the Subaru turbos, can make a really neat, fun to drive car. How about a supercharged 3.2 to really get some adrenalin flowing?
736conver
Engine came with 207hp at the FW from the factory but with early SSI and a less restrictive exhaust plus a chip you can get 220. I have heard that there are a couple MAF kits out there that include a replacement for the airflow meter and a low restriction air cleaner and chip that along with the exhaust will pop you up to about 240hp.

Those were the earlier engines. The later 87-89 had 231hp. Thats the one I had in my 914.

Sean your love the torque and power out of the 3.2 and just as easy to install as the smaller sixes.

Problem you'll have now is finding one for a good price. Current prices I believe are 4500-5500.
lotus_65
funny that i was just wondering about prices. i saw this 911 3.2 engine on cragslist a few days ago and thought it was a little expensive. it does come with stainless exhaust though...

paul
seanery
my buddy paul stuck a nice 3.2 into his 75 Carrera, it really woke up the 911. I think it would just be awesome in a 914. I've got a 2.2T motor in the garage, but thought if I'm going through all of the effort of a conversion, I might as well get some HP with it biggrin.gif

Anyone else got any ideas, thoughts, info, been there done thats ?
TROJANMAN
Stick with an earlier 3.2. The 87+ had valve guide issues.

Or maybe it was 88, I forget, but you could probably get better answers over on pelican. wink.gif
Justinp71
$5800, is good, really good if the stainless exhaust is worth something and it comes with the wiring and the computer.

Make sure you pull off the valve covers and check for broken head studs though, fairly common for 3.0/3.2 motors to have broken studs, the divlar studs (only on exhaust side) don't last that long.... Fixing those requires a partial teardown...
woobn8r
I just totally rebuilt an '84 3.2...
Bought it for $3,500...saw it running....It had some oil leaks (no biggie)
BUT! When I plled off the top end the valve seals/guides had worn down the valves and I had to replace them all...next I looked at the play in the crankshaft and decided to rebuild the whole engine....

I'm in for about $13,000 now but I have a totally rebuilt engine worth of putting in a show....all stainless hardware, polished, powdercoated, painted....It'll be perfect in my 914.
Justinp71
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Apr 30 2007, 08:19 AM) *

BUT! When I plled off the top end the valve seals/guides had worn down the valves and I had to replace them all...next I looked at the play in the crankshaft and decided to rebuild the whole engine....

I'm in for about $13,000 now but I have a totally rebuilt engine worth of putting in a show....all stainless hardware, polished, powdercoated, painted....It'll be perfect in my 914.

Did you go to carbs?

Has anyone hear done a 3.2 short stroke?
These are on ebay, anyone heard of QSC?
echocanyons
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 30 2007, 09:56 AM) *

Those are the china made ones, I hear that you need to have them matched ot the pistons/rings. Henry at Supertec sells these matched.
Justinp71
Hey how much hp do you think you could get out of the 3.7L that is in waynes book?

Its a 3.2 crank with something like 100mm pistons, with webers.. maybe close to 400hp? happy11.gif I think in his book he talks about it with CIS, but that would hold its power back.
lotus_65
just spoke with Ron. the $5800. engine is from an '85, and he does not have the harness or the brain. the exhaust is good, it has an ac compressor on it. the g50's available too.

fyi

paul
Justinp71
What about a 3.0 with webbers and cams.. I heard those can make alot of power...

The mileage will drop, but I'm not sure by how much...

edit: when you do the chip and the maf conversion on the 3.2, is the mpg still considerably better than carbs?
brant
Sean,

if you bump up to a 3.2L, i'm still interested in finding a 2.2 for my conversion
brant
seanery
I've got a lead on a 0 mile rebuild by a very reputable shop (directly from the shop) - including DME & harness, It is an 84 3.2L stock except the heads were decked to get Euro spec compresion. - $9k - what do y'all think? idea.gif

ps...Brant, you are one patient guy biggrin.gif
woobn8r
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 30 2007, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Apr 30 2007, 08:19 AM) *

Did you go to carbs?

Nope...not with Canadian weather....I hate re-jetting my ski doo....
seanery
Justin,
one of the problems with a 3.0 (in my opinion) is that just putting webers on is only part of what is necessary. The cams are made for CIS (which I hate) and should be replaced to get the most out of the motor. That opens the door for a whole bunch of Dirk Wright's Disease rolleyes.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 29 2007, 08:22 AM) *

No you don't...

What you *need* is a running 914. It's been so long for you, a stocker oughta be enough. wink.gif

agree.gif Get that fuching car running and show up to at least 2 events (I'm talking about bbq/swap-meet/fun-run), etc...
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Headrage @ Apr 30 2007, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 29 2007, 08:22 AM) *

No you don't...

agree.gif Get that fuching car running and show up to at least 2 events (I'm talking about bbq/swap-meet/fun-run), etc...

+2 agree.gif

I've known you for almost 4 years and have never seen you driving one of your 914s. Want to talk about avoiding DWD, stop contemplating a 3.2 swap laugh.gif
seanery
I can not do it. I'm gone until Mid-November...and I may not even be home then if our contract is extended next year (which looks likely). If I get the car converted, a professional can do it (correctly) while I'm gone and I'll have a nice car when our gig with the circus is done.

see, that makes sense biggrin.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 30 2007, 06:38 PM) *

I've got a lead on a 0 mile rebuild by a very reputable shop (directly from the shop) - including DME & harness, It is an 84 3.2L stock except the heads were decked to get Euro spec compresion. - $9k - what do y'all think? idea.gif

Well you definitely get what you pay for in a porsche engine. That motor will probably last a long time. If you get a used one you may have to put some cash into it after awhile and that easily adds up as you know biggrin.gif .

It sounds like they might have re-used the pistons, find out if they atleast put in nikasil cylinders with new rings.

You'll also have to get the kennedy clutch setup and cut a hole in your trans for the speed sensor.
woobn8r
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 1 2007, 12:07 AM) *

Well you definitely get what you pay for in a porsche engine. That motor will probably last a long time. If you get a used one you may have to put some cash into it after awhile and that easily adds up as you know biggrin.gif .

It sounds like they might have re-used the pistons, find out if they atleast put in nikasil cylinders with new rings.

You'll also have to get the kennedy clutch setup and cut a hole in your trans for the speed sensor.

Or just move to a "proper" aluminum 915 with the sensor notch from the factory... You could retrofit an early 930 distributor and move to carbs for that period look, and a bunch of power without cutting your transmission bell housing....
seanery
The engine had 88k miles on it when we rebuilt it. Due to the customer wanted a fresh engine.
Rebuild included rings, M & R bearings, gaskets, seals, rod bolts, ramps, chains, ballanced it, valve job with new guides, decked the heads, new tensioners & lines, oil return tubes and fanbelt.
Its a nice engine. It also comes with a 6 mth. 6k mile warranty.

TROJANMAN

It is an 84 3.2L stock except the heads were decked to get Euro spec compresion. - $9k - what do y'all think? idea.gif

I think for just about that much money, you can have a realllly nice malaga red 914 that Ferg has in the classifieds. wink.gif

And here's the kicker.........................It runs biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Is this the engine from a shop in Georgia? I think I spoke to the guy selling it. It sounds like a strong engine. The only thing I didn't like was the compression. I would have to add octane booster with each fillup. I can only get 92 octane. Also I'm not crazy about test driving a 0 time engine. If it's the one I considered, it comes from a very reputable shop (so I was told). 9K is a lot but with a 0 time engine it should last a loooong time.
Elliot

seanery
It's from Tennessee wink.gif
jim912928
Sean....DO IT!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.