Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To all who have suffered this German faux pass!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
The PO, which shall remain nameless, has removed all turn signal acutriments from my car. Now, I do have them parking Euro turn signal thingies which are directly wired to my head light switch, as per the 1971 USA schematic. Runing lights, brake lights and them freekydeeky parking marker lighhts are the only thing I have. the next step is to remove the head light switch from the dash. Now that you know it all and I stand naked before you, my question is, am I missing an apendage to remove and replace the head light switch or is it just a beehotch? I WILL disconect the battery as the Crimson Rocket has taught me from a cloud of burned wires but then once removed, how the hell will I get it back in the dash hole? This access design is unacceptable and am now in denial of this German blunder and kinda lost in a funny kinda way!! beer.gif help!
Spoke
I think you need to unscrew the fuse panel and move out of the way. The pull knob of the headlight switch should screw off leaving a fastener on the front which again just screws off to loosen the switch. At this point you should be able to pull the switch back out to inspect.

That being said, I'm sure there are lots of wires who will not want to move out of the way and several connectors who will want to become disconnected.

And of course, it helps to be a contortion artist to get your hands in there and be able to see what you're doing.

Good luck,

Spoke
JPB
I can't even touch the darn thing and I wonder once I pull it out of there, will I be able to put it back in? beer.gif
r_towle
stop trying to look at what you are doing.

You can reach in there, and you can touch it, provided you sit the right way, use the right hand (right hand) and look out the side of the car.
Sit on the ground.
It does work.

Be very very gentle, and dont let any of the wires become unplugged while you are yanking away..
Its pretty complex to get right if you unplug them all without making your own mental note, or drawing...everything in the lighting system goes through that switch.

Also, note the orientation...the switch needs to be put back in facing the same way, or it wont fit, the wires wont reach, and you could short something out against the dash...

Good luck
Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(JPB @ Apr 29 2007, 07:52 PM) *

I can't even touch the darn thing and I wonder once I pull it out of there, will I be able to put it back in? beer.gif

taking off the lower dash pad will open up that area and access will be much easier ...

as said above, unscrew the fuse panel and pull it down gently, that'll help as well ...
bye1.gif Andy
effutuo101
You can also take out the Speedo/tack cluster (undo the speedo and unscrew. leave it leaning against your steering wheel. You can then reach down into the area you are talking about.
JPB
Thats all great advice. I have been trying to reach it but must have my body in the wrong position. I have taken the gages out also and that looks like a winner.THNX beer.gif
McMark
You need to be sitting on the ground with your stomach hitting the sill plate and your left hand behind the dash and your right hand working from the front of the dash.
Aaron Cox
i remove dash switches laying with my feet out the targa... butt in the seat, and head at the pedals.

way easier....

and then i tried that maneuver naked.....
effutuo101
It is pretty rough laying over the longs reaching up in there. Good luck!
effutuo101
After reading Aaron's post, I think I am going to go poke out my third eye....Just kidding Aaron! Was it a hot day? The smell of hot vinyl and seared fleash must have been interesting. 2nd degree burns? poke.gif
Aaron Cox
cloth inserts on my scheel buckets smile.gif

LOL
effutuo101
Nice! After dealing with vinyl in California and Colorado for many years, and burning my butt everytime I got in the car on all of those hot days. Now that I can afford something a bit better, I am looking at what you did. Now if I can get the damn rain to stop for longer than a week up here..... beer.gif
Sorry I highjacked the thread...
JPB
The main bitch is the full six point role cage which has a cross bar that angles down from the rear one to the front one at the door and to make matters even worse, the seat is a Momocourse winged bastage! Thank God for the quick release on the wheel.beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.