Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone used an RSR motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
I keep reading about the RSR motor in excellence magazine and it really does intrigue me. If done like my RS motor I am real curious to see what kind of power it can make.

But what I am envisioning is in 2 years get a RSR motor running Haltek or whatever ECU with the TWM fuel injection with double plugs and high compression. Then mating that to a Wevo gear box.

Anyone else have any experience with this motor and this kind of setup? I think 350hp in a 2.8 would be sick but doable.
dflesburg
nothing beats cubic inches... just do a 3.6 and be done
propricer
Doubt if 350 is do-able ... maybe 305.

Had a 2.8 in my 914-6 and it was magnificent - lots of street racing I'm ashamed to say but only lost once ... to a 900cc Ninja.

Engine was 2.7 based with Mahle pistons, G80 cams to 'wake it up' and 40IDAs for the low end - engine lasted about 60K street miles.

If I were going to do it again, I would build a 2.9 on an aluminum 2.0 liter case with JE pistons, G80 cams and again, 40IDAs - might get to 320HP ???

While magnificent and fun, it's also expensive ... probably $20K give or take $5K.

That's why my street car these days is a 914-V8 ... still have the 2.8 but it needs a rebuild - interested ???

turboman808
I have a 2.7 RS motor now. I would like to use the magnesium case if possible. Can the 2.7 case be used and twin plugged so I can raise the compression? I don't know a whole lot about the porsche motors can't you tell

But this is like in 2 yeas I would like to do this. I also have a mannesium tranny case as well. I wonder if Wevo can use that to build up a new tranny on. That would be pretty dam cool.
john rogers
I have seen several 914 track-only cars with real RSR engines and both made about 345 HP with factory mechanical injection. Both were very very peaky and did not make much power until over 5500 RPM but went like hell at 8000 RPM. I think they idled at about 1500 RPM or so and gobbled up that 100 octane like it was water! I agree with the previous post, go with a 3.6 and make it milder and it will last and be much more driveable on the street.
IronHillRestorations
I thought a "real" RS engine would have MFI and twin plug?

It really depends on what you are doing with the car. If it's road racing then a RSR spec engine would be very cool, but as John says, it's a peaky engine that's best kept wound up, which isn't always possible in a street hot rod/occasional racer.

For all around drivabiltiy it's hard to beat modern FI.

Just my .02
turboman808
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 30 2007, 05:05 PM) *

I thought a "real" RS engine would have MFI and twin plug?

Nope the main difference is the bump in displacement and it's twin pluged with 10.5:1 compression plus fuel injection.

The RS motor I have now has haltek injection but it's twin pluged and I think 8.5:1 compression.
PinetreePorsche
About 6 months back, way before he got into his destruction-competition project, Jake said he was pretty sure he could turbo one of his Massives and get way past 300 horses, and I think he guestimated a 7 grand price tag. Great to say "yeah, it's a VW type IV when you burn them up. Keeps the 914 pretty light, too. When this event's over, we'll have to give him another nudge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.