Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trigger points refurbishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
While doing my inventory of "parts I have no idea where they came from", I came acrross 2 reallt nice sets of trigger points (no idea where I got them).

They both have some minor points pitting.

In the old days, with ignition points, we just sanded them down with ultra fin grit paper & re-used them. Why wouldn't this work with trigger points? Same concept. Low tech.
Pat
orange914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 30 2007, 07:08 PM) *

In the old days, with ignition points, we just sanded them down with ultra fin grit paper & re-used them. Why wouldn't this work with trigger points? Same concept. Low tech.
Pat

since i've never changed this set of points, do they have an adjustment as other points? how do you confirm/check dwell on them? only by initial gap? i always wondered confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
The FI trigger points are non-adjustable. They fail primarily at the two riding block locations where they ride the cam on the dizzy shaft, which determines their dwell. They supposedly last about 100K miles, so with proper maintenance they rarely need replacement. Lube these wear points with distributor lube upon installation. I don't think there is any significant amperage passing through them, its just a ground contact on/off circuit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.