Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting new Koni Sports
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
Hey guys, i jsut ordered some rear koni yellow sports with threaded collars and eibach springs.
what am i gunna need to do the swap. any tips or special ways to do it. I think i might need a spring comrpessor or someting. TThanks

-PEter
Dave_Darling
Spring compressors are the safest way to remove stock springs from the rear struts. The springs hold a fair amount of energy, and parts will go flying if you don't contain that energy. I have heard of people getting a friend to hold a spare tire down on top of the strut (which is held vertical) while they removed the nut that holds the assembly together, but I prefer the spring compressors.

Almost all aftermarket springs are short enough that they do not "fill up" the area between the upper and lower spring perches when the suspension is at full droop. No compressors required for those!

--DD
rhodyguy
just remove the entire rear spring assems and set them aside as you'll be using none of the parts on them. when i did mine w/100# springs they went together without needing compressors. in fact until you get the car back on the ground the springs will be hanging loose. you need to keep the top cap secured to the top of the springs with a couple of zip ties. the treaded collars have a notched section on the interior. examine both ends. the notch goes on the bottom over the clips on the bottom of the strut housing. there are 3 lands for the clips. iirc you might start with the cnter of the 3. they alter the ride height in small increments. it's easy to install the collars upside down, this detail wasn't mentioned in the instructions or i missed it. you'll have to take them back off, dis and reassemble, and install again. like i did.

k
Eric_Shea
I don't see why Peter would need a spring compressor.

1. Take old shocks and springs out as a unit (as Kevin describes).
2. Put new shocks and springs in as a unit (as Kevin describes).
malaga_red75
Thanks guys, Im a little confused, but the setup should be here this week. When they get here I'll post pictures of it and u guys can walk me though it.

-Peter
Eric_Shea
Like Kevin says...
you'll be using none of the parts on them

Your new springs are quite different. You'll see. wink.gif
Dave_Darling
D'OH! I spaced on the fact that he's getting new springs and struts. Must'a read right past it.

Yup, they're right--unbolt the old assembly, bolt up the new assembly.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.