Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running rich?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiddleGACruiser
My car just started acting funny recently but I think it might have something to do with spinning the engine backwards by accident.

The symptoms are:
1. When I start it up it emits black smoke for a little while then clears up.
2. From a stop when warm it blows smoke for a while if I take off hard and run it up to red line.
3. From a stop it sputters when accelerating normally but clears up if I go WOT.
4. It smells very rich when I'm at a stop light idling.

History:
It was having trouble idling at anything below 2K unless I let the clutch out a little and push it back in to drop the idle down. Most times it would drop to about 500 RPMs but sometimes it would go back to about 2K.
I accidentally spun the engine backwards by coasting down a driveway forward and letting the clutch out while in reverse. This blew the PCV valve out and scared the poop out of me. I put the valve back in and the idle problems went away.
It doesn't burn any oil.

Suggestions? driving.gif
John
You probably popped your MPS.

I am guessing that you have a DJET car.

The rich running is a classic symptom. Get a vacuum pump and check to make sure your MPS will hold a vacuum for some amount of time. If it does not, you will need to find a suitable used unit or have yours rebuilt.

Someone on here rebuilds them.

Good luck.

just my $0.02
pbanders
Agree with John. Test it by seeing if it will hold a vacuum. Any time you rotate the engine backwards with the throttle closed, you pressurize the intake manifold, and risk destroying the MPS. This is a common problem when people spin their car, and forget the "both pedals in" rule.
2-OH!
Yep, MPS...

"Bleyseng" on this board rebuilds them...

PM him

2-OH!
John
Too bad there is no pressure relief valve to put in the MPS line to prevent this from happening......
MiddleGACruiser
Thank you everyone for all the assistance! The MSP wins! It leaks so fast I thought the vacuum pump was broken. The good news is I had 2 on the shelf. 1 was also broken but the other is good. The car is back to running normal, by that I mean normal for this car. I'm back to needing to clean the decel valve, but that can wait until after Kentucky. Woohoo! ...on the road again... driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.