Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: going great...then disaster. believe i burned up the
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
#1. all hooked up, turn the key, no fuel pump. cb pump, andy's jumper wire. swap for a known functional relay, check relay board fuses. still no pump. chased, and chased, and chased...stymied. jim young showed up with his new car and i pressed him into service. back track thru the pump wire system. low and behold the main power relay on the board was bad. so 2 known fuctional relays and the pump is running.

#2. now no spark. i may have mistakenly switched the 2 coil leads. guess what that does? " warning: BE VERY CAREFUL that the coil had not been previously wired backward, or you will ruin (FRY) the optical pickup unit, and they are about $100". crap!! i think i had inadvertently switched the coil wires. on the harness i had been using the wires were black/purple and black/red (correct for a 73' usa). the one i put in has b/p and black. looking at the current flow diagram on p.175 of the haynes, item N (coil) shows the wires as b/p and b.

so i call mallory, a division of Mr Gasket by the way, for a little tech advice. no simple way to test the pickup. "you prob did burn it up sir". 2 replacement pickups avail. 1 runs $37.95 (6100M) and the other is $89.88 (MAA 605). trying to get thru to Summit Racing as there is no data base for local product distributors. this has been an exspensive lesson. i was pretty dejected last night sad.gif . i'm scared to death about rehooking up when the new unit arrives. i will make a few calls locally and see if i can find one but i'm not counting on it.

k
effutuo101
That sucks. good luck!
mstein95
bummer kev. positive vibes being sent from Olytown

So, was that Jim in the mysterious black 914? ph34r.gif
mstein95
disregard the Jim question - see the answer in other post.
brer
these people should design protection circuits. mad.gif

I hate that crap.

rhodyguy
if you check summits site, part # MAA-29351 (active power filter) is avail for $36.88. whether this item will protect the op pickup in an *installer error* situtation, i don't know. found one local for $100. or get the other (less exspensive) one shipped out of portland tomorrow. i like instant gratification...this time it will cost me $50 for the pleasure i think. odd thing with summit. FREE ground shipping from ohio!!! with a $10.95 handling fee dry.gif . 3 day is the $10.95 + another $20 or so. WTF.gif the op module is about as big as a set of points. must weigh all of 3 oz, if that.

k
Aaron Cox
BTDT - fried mine when the positive battery cable lost contact with the batt.

expensive lesson smile.gif
rhodyguy
we both booked passage on the ship of fools i guess smile.gif. is there a trick to getting the 3 wires (green, red, brown) out of the plastic connector on the dist side? did you spring for the active power filter or do they just want more of my money?

k
Aaron Cox
if you read about the filter... it says it "MAY" stop high voltage spikes....

to get the pins out... look through the back of the connector... a long screwdriver (small) and you can un hook them
rhodyguy
comprehensive kit. i don't have to fiddle with the connector on the kablooeeyed unit. piratenanner.gif i splurged on a pocket sized inspection mirror.

k
Aaron Cox
i still have my old one incase some EE has time to fix it smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.