Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing Venues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
There is just something about a hill climb that gets to me.

The first real hill climb I saw was near Great Witley in England; or should I say heard one Saturday morning when I was staying at my friends farm. I went outside in the morning and could swear that I was hearing an F1 running somewhere out in the distance.

When I finally figured out that there must indeed be a racing venue somewhere nearby we took off and went to the opposite side of the valley. Sure enough they were running a proper English hill climb.

Amongst other things they were hill climbing last years F1's.

This was 1973 and you could literally buy last years F1, like so many they had running that day, for a song. Plus there was every other possible European car you could imagine. They were racing up the hillside on this small road, like really tiny, literally flat out. No time to warm the tires. Unbelievable! You could sit on the bank (upside of the road) and have the cars roar by just feet from you. What an experience. We spend the entire day watching.

The entire experience is so hard to describe, but every time I start going up hill I just have to mash the accelerator. The whole experience just stuck.

Next year I'm going to do a few hill climbs in Northern California. There is one up at the Hoopa Indian reservation near Eureka. Also some events up in Oregon.

What I really want to do is to run Pikes Peak some day. Would need something really powerful and some pretty sophisticated electronics to deal with the huge change in elevation.

Now that would be a trip. Something to dream about.

What venue makes your blood boil?
seanery
they scare the $hit out of me! Pikes Peak especially. I think I'd enjoy spectating, but I dunno about driving. I hate cliffs!
drew365
I ran the Virginia City Hillclimb for 10 years. Enjoyed every minuet of it. Definately gets your blood going to look at boulders on one side and a drop off on the other as you try to squeeze in some throttle. They still run it in September but you have to run a Ferrari or Shelby. I'd be interested in getting info for one in Oregon.
ChrisReale
I got pretty excited when I was moving down to Cali, and we passed Sears Point whilst on the way to drop my 914 at Brads. Ill have a better answer for you come next spring/summer wink.gif
Ratt
I'd be interested in getting info for one in Oregon.

Here is a link to a group in Eugene that run at I believe Mary's peak and some other hills in the area. They also do auto-x alot.
hill climb

Andy Rattley
VegasRacer
drew365 - are they still doing the Virginia City Hill Climb for Ferrari's only, or have they stopped the event completely?
Randal
Here are a few potential road trips for next year.

about hillclimbs
drew365
Afaik, the September group is still running at Virginia City but you have to run a Ferrari or Shelby. The June group pulled their sponsorship after last years accident that had two fatalities. That event was run what you brung.
Thanks for the links. I may look into the Eugene event. The course is very similar the Virginia City except VC was 5.2 miles long.
Queenie
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 4 2003, 07:33 PM)
What venue makes your blood boil?

One word: RALLY.

It is my absolute all-time bar none favorite.
PatW
What is that Nevada road race they run on?.. Nevada State Challange or something like that?
VegasRacer
They run the 'Classic' in the spring and fall going south out of Ely.
In the summer they run the 'Gold Rush' east - west from Eureka.
The same sanctioning body also has other events including one in Mexico.
Silver State Open Road Races
fiid
The idea of participating in any Racing event is just way cool.

I have driven Thunderhill and Laguna Seca, I hope to add Infineon/Sears Point and ButtonWillow to that list in the not to distant future.

I would also like to compete in the California Rally Series at some point, and am very interested in running the open Nevada highway races.

I love the fact that there is so much in the way of facilities within a few hours of San Francisco.

Have to finish my car ... grrr :-)

Fiid.
bernbomb914
Road America was my favorite race coarse. They have the best consession stands barbeque Bratwerst and corn on the cob.

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.