Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone sell leather besides alan Gun?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johny Blackstain
Does anyone else besides Alan Gun sell decent quality leather covers for 914 steering wheels? Thanks.

cool_shades.gif
echocanyons
autos international will do it right but it wont be cheap ~375, it'll probably take you a while to get it back becasue this is there busy time of year

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ May 1 2007, 03:50 PM) *

Does anyone else besides Alan Gun sell decent quality leather covers for 914 steering wheels? Thanks.

cool_shades.gif

echocanyons
just re-read your post...
they might sell you the leather to do it yourself.
brer
I know a clubmember who might do it.
I'll let tell him about your thread.

Festive_Zombie
I actually do steering wheels, and its nothing you can't do yourself if you need a how-to PM me, I can explain. Or charge you an arm and a leg to do yours....
markb
Where can I get a kit, other than Gun?
ConeDodger
I had no problem with Alan Gunn. It took a long time but I expect that anytime I call a small business man who answers his own phone. Try getting a hold of Craig at Camp914 or Chris Foley. That means he is pretty much everything when it comes to running his business. My wheel is a work of art. I think he charged me $350 or so...
Johny Blackstain
I agree that under normal circumstances a small businessman that answers his own phone is cool, when he actually answers, but one who BSs' you & says he'd mail it out 3 different times now, & "actually did mail it once", & nothing received is no longer worth my time. I'm not waiting on a piece of leather from him anymore & all I can say is thank God I didn't send it to him to do. Thanks for the reference to Autos International. I hope they don't re-sell Guns products cause I don't want them.

cool_shades.gif
newto914s
I'm pretty sure AA sells a DIYS kit.
skline
$350 to recover a steering wheel? I would rather run an aftermarket wheel than to pay that, outrageous!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(skline @ May 2 2007, 09:40 AM) *

$350 to recover a steering wheel? I would rather run an aftermarket wheel than to pay that, outrageous!!!

We all live in different economies. I like that I can see my speedometer. I had a MOMO on it for two years. In fact, I took pics of it to sell it but haven't put it up yet.
It is a really quality product... He sells them on Ebay for a boat-load more than that.
A local upholstery shop that advertises in the Drifter SVR-PCA newsletter for as long as I can remember quoted me $600. He said "do you have any idea how long or how meticulous those things are?" I suspect that Alan Gunn has cheaper labor.
Festive_Zombie
From Experience its loads of hours, at 350$ with the leather its a decent deal...

I put at least 48 man hours on my last custom steering, but I had to build the form for it, and add thickness to the steering.

They are charging over 900$ for the 911RS/914-6 GT steering.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Festive_Zombie @ May 2 2007, 01:30 PM) *

From Experience its loads of hours, at 350$ with the leather its a decent deal...

I put at least 48 man hours on my last custom steering, but I had to build the form for it, and add thickness to the steering.

They are charging over 900$ for the 911RS/914-6 GT steering.

That is what I had him do. I supplied the steering wheel. He added the thickness. It is really a very nice wheel.
Johny Blackstain
So I'm checking the mail yesterday & lo & behold guess what was sitting in my mail box... leather cover from Alan Gun. I called him last week Tuesday, he assured me he had already mailed it out once & said he'd priority mail me one on Wednesday. So sometime on Saturday, (postmarked), & parcel post, not priority, he finally remembered to mail it to me. I called my CC company on Tuesday & contested the charge, had to call them back yesterday to reverse that. Good thing I didn't order another cover from someone else. I'll try & do this recovering myself & post pics of my success or failure in my blog.

cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.