Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumblee Bee Found!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aircooledfool
[b] piratenanner.gif I was checking out the Austin craigslist on Thursday night and saw this car posted. I purchased it 40 minutes after it was posted. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I brought it back from Houston on Sunday. The body is in pretty good shape with very minimal rust. All trim, glass, etc. in place. Interior is original and in very good condition. The engine/tranny wasn't in the car but I did get the engine in a box. I don't think it's the original engine or at least not the the original 2.0 heads. Check out the picture of the heads, they aren't 2.0, right?

Special thanks to David Lee in Houston who helped me secure the car to the trailer on Sunday afternoon. If it wasn't for David's help, there would be 914 parts scattered all over central Texas.

Here is a link to some pictures...more to come!

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/aircooledfool/
jd74914
Nope, they have 4 studs. The rest of the car looks nice clap56.gif
Aaron Cox
welcome!
jr91472

atta boy David!! clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif

and
welcome.png

Grelber
welcome.png

Now it's time to get to work! piratenanner.gif
hi ho silber
Nice find!
Really like the VIN number biggrin.gif

914Sixer
Hello,
I am over in Boerne if you need anything. 830-755-4755

welcome.png
Tobra
Those door guard things are pretty heinous.

Nice find though, like the bumblebee
John
It was last registered in 85? Or did I read that plate wrong?
EdwardBlume
Nice work! Have fun getting it on the road !
Johny Blackstain
smilie_pokal.gif thumb3d.gif

cool_shades.gif
Aircooledfool
I was checking out the car this evening and found that original rocker covers are still on the car and in good shape. The "porsche" embossed rockers in the pictures were just put on top. aktion035.gif
Aircooledfool
I'm researching all options for an engine to get this car back on the road soon. I'm thinking a drop in 2.0 FI. Who has one setting around?
davep
QUOTE(hi ho silber @ May 1 2007, 06:01 PM) *

Nice find!
Really like the VIN number biggrin.gif

Oh yeah! That VIN is exactly 1000 before mine, I almost fell out of my chair.
Welcome to the LE owners group. We'll get that on the registry pretty soon. We would like the body number from the Karmann paint badge on the drivers door hinge post.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/914canamregistry.htm
Aircooledfool
Thanks Dave. I have a couple of pictures of the Karman badge but they aren't good quality. I'll shoot some tomorrow and get them posted. I used the registry the night I bought the car to verify as much as possible before I purchased it.

I'm looking forward to restoration input/suggestions from the experts so please offer any advice you may have.
drewvw

great find! welcome.png
davep
When planning the restoration, first consider the originality of the car. If it is pretty good, then think about keeping it original. A 2.0 motor with an appropriate # can be found. I am keeping my engine almost stock except for the cam and pistons. I want a little more power but keeping it stock appearing. Enlarging up to 2056 is not a bad idea. Carefully work around the DOT decal on the door post, it is too difficult to replace, and a little paint defect would be offset by the original decal. Just post me the number you read off of the Karmann badge.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Dave slap.gif
Aircooledfool
The Karman badge number is 1839556. I couldn't get a decent picture with my cheap digital camera.
JPB
Welcome to the sweet life bro. welcome.png
davep
QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ May 4 2007, 03:40 PM) *

The Karman badge number is 1839556.

Please double check, I think that should be 0839556.
Perhaps only the edge of the 0 is in the box.
Aircooledfool
QUOTE(davep @ May 5 2007, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ May 4 2007, 03:40 PM) *

The Karman badge number is 1839556.

Please double check, I think that should be 0839556.
Perhaps only the edge of the 0 is in the box.

I doubled checked and you are correct. The leading "0" is half way out of the box making it appear at first glance to be a "1".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.