Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing 914 updates?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mid_Engine_914
Aren't there a couple of 914s competing out there in road racing series? I haven't heard anything about them in a while so I'm wondering how they're doing...
blitZ
I believe the Groot and Raby/Hoffman teams are still working the bugs out of their cars. Hope to see them in action later in the season.
BMXerror
Get back to me with this question in a couple years.
Mark D.
kart54
Been a slow start to the year for the Car 54 team. First race is set for the 19th and 20th of this month at buttonwillow. Car looks quite a bit different but haven't had time to take new pictures yet.
Full containment seat, new sump tank for gas to insure better fuel pressure, new Data system, new crane box for ignition along with a rewire of most of the car, new red and white color scheme, new rear bumper, new aluminum dash, new supertrapp exhaust. Those are what I can think of that have been done so far this year. Got two new to me (used) engines as back ups. and my 6 year old and 4 year old have had alot going on in their lives so racing is coming last.
My whole set up may be for sale by the end of this season or sooner. If I get the new ski boat I'm looking at right now there won't be any time left on weekends for racing and wife is telling me she must have a new house so there would be no budget left.
On the plus side I did win the Cal Club G prod championship last year. Field was small however. Just not many cars showing up for the production classes in SCCA anymore.
Keep the shiny side up and the rubber on the road
Randy Andell
"Car 54 Here I Am"
SCCA G prod champion 2006 Cal Club
oemexp
Talk to me in 6 years (my boy will be 16 and ready to drive it for real). I started this project for myself but my kid's kart racing and 20 other things keep it from being completed. headbang.gif

1,600lb 914-6 with 340hp 3.2L motor, monoblock 996TT brakes, miles of carbon graphite and buckets of sweat. welder.gif

Mark
DanT
QUOTE(oemexp @ May 2 2007, 11:28 PM) *

Talk to me in 6 years (my boy will be 16 and ready to drive it for real). I started this project for myself but my kid's kart racing and 20 other things keep it from being completed. headbang.gif

1,600lb 914-6 with 340hp 3.2L motor, monoblock 996TT brakes, miles of carbon graphite and buckets of sweat. welder.gif

Mark

so you are the one that bought Rich McGlumphy's old racecar....I wondered where it went to....that car has some history...in GGR.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 11:32 PM) *

Mark

so you are the one that bought Rich McGlumphy's old racecar....I wondered where it went to....that car has some history...in GGR.

Was Rich in GGR before he was in SVR???
DanT
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 2 2007, 11:51 PM) *

Mark

Rich was a dual member Rob...SVR/GGR

he ran the GGR TT series virtually from its inception back in 1976.
I have ridden in that car at Laguna and TH...helped him work on it several times at the track..
I have known Rich for about 23 years.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 11:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 2 2007, 11:51 PM) *

Mark

Rich was a dual member Rob...SVR/GGR

he ran the GGR TT series virtually from its inception back in 1976.
I have ridden in that car at Laguna and TH...helped him work on it several times at the track..
I have known Rich for about 23 years.

I almost bought his 914-6 but I couldn't deal with the body work. Everyone has a vision I suppose. But it just wasn't for me. Besides one more damn car around here and my GF is going to open a used Porsche lot!!!!
groot
I'll be out again next weekend for the Grattan National.

Randy,

Are you talking Regional or National races? I only ask because there's a huge difference in this area between National and Regional participation and speed. I went to a double regional last year and nearly lapped the field because their wasn't much competition. I'm not trying to belittle your accomplishment, but just trying to understand your comment about "not many cars showing up for production races anymore." Around here for national events there are usually at least 3 or 4 GP cars at each event, while for a regional we'd be lucky to see 1.
maitaiken
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 2 2007, 10:51 PM) *

Mark

Hey I built that red, white and blue racer back in the 80"s when I owned Ken's Sportech in Campbell CA. Rich is my ex-brother-in-law and was one of our hot shoes in the time trial series. What are your plans for the car?
Ken...
Jake Raby
Our first event is a driver's school on May 19th... We are thrashing to get the car finished having just returned from the TV show taping in Iowa..

The weekend after the school we have a double at Kershaw in South Carolina and that'll be our first competetive event. We expect to have serious bugs in the car having just completed it's build from scratch, don't look for positive results from us for a good while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.