Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing an 009 with a Mallory
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I'm thinking about replacing my 009 distributor with a Mallory from air cooled. I currently have dual dells on a 1.8L engine. I've got a stock boshe blue coil.

Here are my questions:

1. Will I need to replace my coil, wires, or plugs with this upgrade?
2. Is this really as easy as dropping it in and timing the car?
3. Can I leave my ignition on and listen to the radio in my driveway, or will this burn up the mallory?
4. Will I be able to move this over when I swap to a 2.0?
5. Will this "interface" with my Innovative wide band o2 sensor at all? I don't really know what I mean here, just wondering if there may be more functionality.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(terrymason @ May 3 2007, 08:45 AM) *

I'm thinking about replacing my 009 distributor with a Mallory from air cooled. I currently have dual dells on a 1.8L engine. I've got a stock boshe blue coil.

Here are my questions:

No

Yes

3. Can I leave my ignition on and listen to the radio in my driveway, or will this burn up the mallory?

Yes

Yes

5. Will this "interface" with my Innovative wide band o2 sensor at all? I don't really know what I mean here, just wondering if there may be more functionality.

If you have a weld in bung and an O2 sensor or you are just using the LM to tune with a tailpipe sniffer it will work. It doesn't "interface" directly if that is what you mean.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 3 2007, 09:07 AM) *

Here are my questions:

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

If you have a weld in bung and an O2 sensor or you are just using the LM to tune with a tailpipe sniffer it will work. It doesn't "interface" directly if that is what you mean.

Wait... Not sure about the sitting in the driveway and listening to the radio... Anyone??? Does the Mallory burn up if it is sitting just right with an open ignition?
terrymason
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 3 2007, 08:07 AM) *

Here are my questions:

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

On the LM - I've got a weld in bung to sniff the exahust. I was wondering perhaps if the mallory could be influenced / timed by the LM.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(terrymason @ May 3 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Here are my questions:

No **Yes- Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon you
will have the uncontrollable urge to replace everything with the best...there's no escape.

Yes ** No- Don't forget you will be in the engine compartment
for a long period of time and you will have a chance to count just how many things need attention. Powder coating the engine tin will be a must...

Yes **Well...I put my radio on a non switched hotwire (fused) so I don't have anything else drawing power that does not need to.

Yes ** No- by then there will be something better and you will
just have to get it...

Nope and no I-PODS [color=#FF0000]eather.

biggrin.gif
terrymason
Thanks guys. About this

Yes **Well...I put my radio on a non switched hotwire (fused) so I don't have anything else drawing power that does not need to.

What exactly happens here? I'm assuming that the mallory will receive voltage whenever the ignition is on, and if that voltage isn't used within some amount of time, then it will burn up? is that fairly accurate?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 3 2007, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(terrymason @ May 3 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Here are my questions:

No **Yes- Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon you
will have the uncontrollable urge to replace everything with the best...there's no escape.

Yes ** No- Don't forget you will be in the engine compartment
for a long period of time and you will have a chance to count just how many things need attention. Powder coating the engine tin will be a must...

Yes ** No- by then there will be something better and you will
just have to get it...

Nope and no I-PODS [color=#FF0000]eather.

biggrin.gif

Gotta love a smart-ass! biggrin.gif I have patients ask me if they are going to die all the time.... It is really hard to resist the urge to say "well, yes... but we all do eventually."
Rand
QUOTE(terrymason @ May 3 2007, 09:01 AM) *

Thanks guys. About this

What exactly happens here? I'm assuming that the mallory will receive voltage whenever the ignition is on, and if that voltage isn't used within some amount of time, then it will burn up? is that fairly accurate?

The point is to run a separate circuit that lets you run the radio withOUT the ignition switch on. If I had a stereo, that's what I would do.
JmuRiz
Personally I'd e-mail or call Jake Raby, he sells them all setup and ready to go. Probably the easiest way to do the swap. Then again I don't have one, I just use a Crane system...but if I did it now I'd go Mallory.
Joe Ricard
You have a radio? and you can hear it while the engine is running?

You need a header that'll fix it.
rhodyguy
if your radio is powered by a non-keyed source i don't *think* it will have any adverse effect on the igintion module listening to tunes with the engine off. but if it does, it will cost you a quick c-note if the i.m. goes south. i left the key on when i rolled the 73' into the garage (bat out) so the wheel would be unlocked. when i connected the bat, i think that's when the i.m. burned up. key was still in on position.

k
lotus_65
this article was interesting:
mallory

do they just go out, and stop working, or is the hesitating i feel on acceleration a condition of one that is bad, anyone know?
Jake Raby
I have had ONE unit fail out of over 1,000 of them that we have sold and used while someone was driving the car. We have had a few dozen of them destroyed while they were being installed and most of the time thatb was due to them being hooked up to other types of coils and spark boxes that were not compatible.

I trust one everyday, the unit thats in my 912E has 105K miles on the original dizzy cap and rotor! I have a Mallory in every car that I own and have for the past 6 years
rhodyguy
what flavor of coils do you use jake? i screwed the pooch on the hook up. no doubt about it.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.