Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding a siezed engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I cam across a freebie 914 engine that is siezed. Apparently, they took the manifold off one of the heads, and let rain get in there and it siezed the engine. At least that is what it looks like. I haven't torn it down yet. Are there any words of wisdom about rebuilding a seized engine?
Brando
You're going to need quite a bit of PB Blaster to get those jugs off!
jwalters
smile.gif On one of my engines I encountered the same. Unless the water has been in there only a week or two at most, just save yourself alot of headache and take a very big hammer and........smash the jugs off - the break apart really, realy easily...
914Sixer
I will be more trouble than it is worth. Water causes pitting in aluminum in a short period of time. Heads will be boat anchors. You will need a grinder to split jugs. Piston pins will be hard to drive out. Then there is the issue of water in the oil in the crankcase. Cam gear will be corroded to crankshaft and the list goes on.
rhcb914
QUOTE(jwalters @ May 3 2007, 05:11 PM) *

smile.gif take a very big hammer and........smash the jugs off - the break apart really, realy easily...

agree.gif

This is the easiest route. They are junk anyway.

I had a 2.0 that was siezed but the crank, rods and heads were ok. The case was junk though. Badly pitted in the oil pan area.

I would look for another core to rebuild and only take that one apart if it is a 2.0L. It's really more work than it's worth to get dime a dozen parts.
type11969
Set the engine up such that the cylinders are pointing towards the sky (engine stand helps here), fill the bores with Kroil or PB Blaster. Let sit for a while. It will drain out, keep it pretty wet for a while. Do the other side. Pull on the cylinders, see if any of them are free to start with. Get those, their pistons, and rods out of the way. Any remaining ones, heat them, maybe a little persuasion with a hammer on the piston, and they should break free. Smashing the cylinders seems like you have a good chance of messing up the case, but I've never tried it.

-Chris
thomasotten
Well, it done. Me and my Dad unseized the engine. It was seized at the pistons. One was sort of hard to get off, and one was very hard to get off. It doesn't look like the water made it past into the case, but I haven't split it yet...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.