Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: if you were to design a AC system for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have a thousand things to do to my 914 before she'll be on the road but one of the ideas I have in my head is designing a AC setup that will work. Please don't tell me I don't need it or other stuff like that as I am in Florida and it's HOT here 9 months out of the year. I don't like the idea of the factory AC setup because of the large cutout in the front trunk. I'm thinking of useing a Porsche 911 evaporator from a 1986 or newer which uses o-ring type fittings. This could be mounted in the front trunk without major sheet metal disruption. Then I would use a 964/993 fan assisted condensor in one of the front fenders in front of the tire. Add a Procooler receiver/drier and barrier hoses plus a Sanden compressor and you have the stuff that can give good results no? Not sure how/what to use to get the air into the cabin. Or maybe use a aftermarket under dash unit like the hot rod guys use? I'm open for any thoughts on this or any success stories out there doing something similiar. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 3 2007, 04:13 PM) *

I have a thousand things to do to my 914 before she'll be on the road but one of the ideas I have in my head is designing a AC setup that will work. Please don't tell me I don't need it or other stuff like that as I am in Florida and it's HOT here 9 months out of the year. I don't like the idea of the factory AC setup because of the large cutout in the front trunk. I'm thinking of useing a Porsche 911 evaporator from a 1986 or newer which uses o-ring type fittings. This could be mounted in the front trunk without major sheet metal disruption. Then I would use a 964/993 fan assisted condensor in one of the front fenders in front of the tire. Add a Procooler receiver/drier and barrier hoses plus a Sanden compressor and you have the stuff that can give good results no? Not sure how/what to use to get the air into the cabin. Or maybe use a aftermarket under dash unit like the hot rod guys use? I'm open for any thoughts on this or any success stories out there doing something similiar. beerchug.gif

dual condenser r 134 radial compressor brand new unit already available! Just for the 914! brand brand new
McMark
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 3 2007, 04:28 PM) *
dual condenser r 134 radial compressor brand new unit already available! Just for the 914! brand brand new

Pictures.
Gotta have pictures.
Always pictures.

wink.gif
shelby/914
You might want to do a search on the subject or a google. A year or so ago there was a link to a company that was supposedly developing a 914 unit where the condenser mounted under the floor so no cutting was necessary. They were already in the A/C business making units for Bugs, Ghias, and vans
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 3 2007, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 3 2007, 04:13 PM) *

O.K. George inquiring minds want to know!! Are you talking about the dual Kuehl units? Or something 914 specific? Is this something you supply? Thanks
Joe Owensby
I bought a parts car that has the condensor located along the driver's side of the front trunk. Has holes behind the front bumper for air in, and holes on the inner wheel well for air exit. It has a squirrel cage fan to circulate the condensor air. I was thinking of mounting this on my car, but haven't made the final decision. It has the typical inside across the bottom of the dash evaporator unit. I bought a new Sanden compressor to use. If anyone has any comments on this type of condensor arrangement, I would appreciate knowing these. Hope this is not a hijack of your thrread. Below are some rough photos of the arrangement on the parts car. It was wrecked on the left front, so the air handling housing is broken open. One photo shows the inside of the trunk, and the other shows the exit holes. Seems to allow the spare tire to fit in OK.

How much of the front trunk room does the typical trunk floor AC condensor take up?

Joe
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ May 3 2007, 05:40 PM) *

I bought a parts car that has the condensor located along the driver's side of the front trunk. Has holes behind the front bumper for air in, and holes on the inner wheel well for air exit. It has a squirrel cage fan to circulate the condensor air. I was thinking of mounting this on my car, but haven't made the final decision. It has the typical inside across the bottom of the dash evaporator unit. I bought a new Sanden compressor to use. If anyone has any comments on this type of condensor arrangement, I would appreciate knowing these. Hope this is not a hijack of your thrread. Below are some rough photos of the arrangement on the parts car. It was wrecked on the left front, so the air handling housing is broken open. One photo shows the inside of the trunk, and the other shows the exit holes. Seems to allow the spare tire to fit in OK.

How much of the front trunk room does the typical trunk floor AC condensor take up?

Joe

Joe thanks for the pics and you're not hijacking my thread, I hoped others like yourself would chime in. That setup is interesting but I'm not sure I want to cut entry/exit holes in the trunk sidewalls or behind the bumper. The Porsche 964/993's had a condensor similiar to what you have in the pic but they were mounted in the front fender,drivers side behind the headlight bucket. They have a fan that is as big as the condensor that moves a lot of air. The 911 evaporator is mounted in the smugglers box and I was thinking of making my own box so I could use a flat fan rather than a squirrel cage fan. If that would work I might be able to plumb the AC air thru the existing vents? Just thinking out loud here any suggestions are appreciated.
agrump
If I was designing an AC unit, I would try and figure out a way to mount the compressor so that you could still seal the engine compartment. Cutting the engine shelf and tins leaves a big hole for hot air to be drawn from under the car. That and the extra load from the compressor and alternator will cause the motor to heat up beyond design limits. Seal the engine compartment and save the cheerleader.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.