Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How/what tranny parts can be reused.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I know it's not the best method BUT....

I have some tranny parts from a spare tranny and would like to know what parts could be resued into another tranny.

Also, is there any what to measure or tell if the parts are any good? The tranny I want to put the parts into has the common grind into 1-2 and 2-3. Going from 2-1 needs to be at a full stop.

The grind ins't too bad but it's there. The weather is bad now so I can't drive the car so this is a great time to do the rebuild/part swap.

Cheers and thanks for the help in advance smile.gif

Kerry
Brad Roberts
The reason I preach:

Your standing a 90% chance that the same parts are worn out in the spare tranny. The only thing you can do is crack open the spare tranny and inspect everything. Take digital pics and post them here.. we will tell you whether or not the pieces are worn.

Basically the only way to tell is by doing a side by side comparison with both trannys cracked open on the same bench (both gear clusters sitting side by side).

Good luck.

B
Kerrys914
Thanks...I'll take photo's and post them here.

Cheers
maf914
You might try the Pelican BBS and do a search for transmission. Red-beard has posted several times concerning tranny salvage and reusing parts. He posts here occasionally but more on PP.

Mike
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. "salvage" is a good word for it..

Sorry. I'm trying to be nice... with the whole used parts idea in a tranny. I realize not everyone can swing new parts.

B
Bleyseng
Download the tranny PDF file so you can measure all the parts. That is how you can determine which are the "Best" used parts. If they are all out of spec and worn out, toss em. Why spend the money and time on new synchros and assembling a POS with worn out parts (sliders, forks, dogteeth etc).

I got lucky and found a 30k used tranny to use for a basis for a good tranny.

Geoff
Kerrys914
No worries Brad just smile.gif

I will more then likely buy new synchros since they don't cost too much. Some of the parts are CRAZY money.

I am going to have three tranny's worth of parts. I want to assemble one tranny with the best parts of the three.

Bleyseng, ithe tranny file you mention Red-beard's PDF?

Thanks guys.

Kerry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.