Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ignition wire uncertainty. the coil wiring.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
Mallory Unilite dist, MSD 6A and adpt, MSD Blaster coil (a bosch blue is pictured). am i to omitt the 2 wires (pl/bk, bk) running from the relay board from the coil circuit? they are loomed (pencil) with the oil switch wire (gr/rd).

are only the 2 (or, bk) wires from the MSD box supposed to be connected to the coil?

2nd pict shows the 3 wires to the dist from the coil . i think i need to move the brown ground wire to a bare spot on the case also.

you can see the wiring config for the 6A and the adpt in the 3rd photo.

the penciled loom is a replacement from the one that was in the car previously. i thought i was sure, everything was hooked back up as before. appearently not.
i can't start my car until i have solid answers. aaron's been very helpful via pm. i can get the mallory E coil he recomended, locally.

i can't start my car until i'm absolutely sure about the wires. i'm confused. very...

k
Allan
I wish I could offer some advise K.

I was at a loss when I had the /4.

Installing the MSD on the /6 was pretty easy because everything else had been removed.

I found that to be a double edged sword though, as other things don't work. dry.gif
Gint
agree.gif with Allan. I had very similar issues when adding the MSD to the /6.

I don't know Kev, but when you get it figured out, please post it here! I want to add an MSD 6AL, coil and tach adapter to mine as well.
rhodyguy
i think aaron will have the answer. if i screw the pooch again, it's another c-note. you price the out the mallory disposables and find the caps and rotors are real spendy. + the optical mod? jeez...it's like buying another dist. order 2 of everything, save the shipping. smile.gif

k
Aaron Cox
ugh... look what you made me do LOL
ok kevin. dig out the 6a instructions.

i used mallory box coil and dizzy, but the msd is no different. it has sime wiring colors too. (doing this from memory)

so dizzy has red green and brown.
red goes to switched hot.
brown - ground
green - connects to white trigger wire off box.

original coil harness had a Black w/ purple (tach) and a black w/red (switched +)

Box has BIG black, BIG red, white, yellow, small black,small red, orange, and then the mag pickup harness (green / purple NOT USED)
Big red - direct power from batt
BIG black - neg side of batt.
small red - switched +
white - trigger wire
small black and orange go to the coil.
with a CDI box... the only wires on the coil are FROM THE CDI BOX.

So without a CDI box, your black w/ purple harness went to the neg side of coil, and the black w red went to the + side of coil.
now the black w/ purple goes to the tach driver off the box, and the switched + wire (black w/ red) is SPLIT to the red wire on the dizzy, and the small red wire on the box

black and yellow off BOX go to the coil.

white wire off the box connects to green wire off the dizzy.

i think i covered everything now.
rhodyguy
i'm laughing so hard...i didn't go all into the harness to the 6A details. it's the coil issue for now. that's exactly the way it was hooked up previously (i think) and i matched it, and the sensor went up in smoke. so there were 4 wires on the coil. just like in the picture. just like the way i read the mallory instructions to mean. should the gr/rd and black not be connected to th coil and only the 2 wires, (big orange, big black) from the 6A?

k

k
Aaron Cox
the mallory doesnt hook up to the coil! thats why you fried it.....

you just put the high output from the box thru the dizzy.....

JUST as i PICTURED it.

ONLY THE 2 WIRES SHOWN ON THE COIL
jasons
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 3 2007, 07:43 PM) *

So without a CDI box, your black w/ purple harness went to the neg side of coil, and the black w red went to the + side of coil.
now the black w/ purple goes to the tach driver off the box, and the switched + wire (black w/ red) is SPLIT to the red wire on the dizzy, and the small red wire on the box

white wire off the box connects to green wire off the dizzy.

i think i covered everything now.

I think he's got the tach adapter too. I think 1 TA wire goes to switched +12v, and the other wire gets spliced in with the MSD6A white trigger wire. Then black/purple tach wire goes into the tach signal, just as Aaron showed in the diagram. I'm not positive, because I have the other 4 wire, tach adapter.
Aaron Cox
want me to show you how easy it is to get rid of the tach adapter?

so guess what the green wire off the dizzy is? its the spark signal to the box. 1 spark per cylinder... the same signal your points sent your tach!

so if you use a piggy back spade terminal here.... you get the same signal your tach was seeing before the CDI box.

works great on my car. no adapter. no mods. plug and play smile.gif
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
2 wires to the coil- got it. i see the problem i think. it's the red and white wires adj to the orange coil wire. i'll edit with a picture. blue bullets. i think the keyed source for the red wire is going to be the black lead out of the oil switch bundle and the tach signal is going to be (drumroll) the pr/bk wire. what do you think?

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 3 2007, 08:01 PM) *

2 wires to the coil- got it. i see the problem i think. it's the red and white wires adj to the orange coil wire. i'll edit with a picture. i think the keyed source for the red wire is going to be the black lead out of the oil switch bundle and the tach signal is going to be (drumroll) the pr/bk wire. what do you think?

k

just hook it up as shown...... its self explanatory.

yes. the switched hot is the other black wire in that harness. (originally went to + side of coil)
rhodyguy
maybe i didn't blow up the sensor i'll try the car before i switch it.

k
Aaron Cox
oh you did. you put amplified voltage through it. kapoof.

the MSD and Mallory 6a box instructions even tell you to not put test equipment on the coil wires.... for fear of blowing em up.

i have the same little boat anchor module as you... mine was due to the + battery terminal connection coming loose while driving. alternator output went straight into the box and dizzy.... along with other stuff in the car.
Gint
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 3 2007, 07:43 PM) *

When you wrote yellow, did you really mean orange?
Aaron Cox
yep. thats the one difference in color between the mallory 6a and the MSD 6a

you can fix it for me if you like smile.gif
Gint
Just wanted to be sure. I don't wanna pop an extra bill like Kevin did. tongue.gif
rhodyguy
you learn something new everyday. the sun will be up soon and i'll be back at it with a brighter outlook. i wish knowledge wasn't so exspensive.

mike, only the 2 wires from the 6A go to the coil. the 2 wires contained in the stock coil harness provide the switched power source to the 6A and the tach signal from the 6A. i think. if i'm still wrong, i don't owe you $100. wink.gif

k
rhodyguy
i wasn't expecting a power pole transformer. blink.gif

k
Aaron Cox
i love mine. i mounted it by the box on the firewall.

basic HEI style coil.....whats the impedance????

Gint
Any reason I can't use my MSD Blaster2 coil?
Aaron Cox
its not as high output nor as low impedance...... but it works 'ok'.

i had 'coil saturation' issues with a blue coil (3 ohm), and a pertronix flame thrower 1.5ohm coil....

issue went away with te E-coil. lower impedance for CDI boxes.
rhodyguy
what a frikin' hassle. don't spend your hard earned money just yet mike. no gd instructions in the gd coil box. i could wait until gd tues for a copy.

aaron, what's the story with hooking up the aurora coil wires to the gd mallory? see the picture. the aurora end doesn't want to secure to the coil post. you get this goofy end piece and i can't figure out how it's suppose. what did you do o' swami of pastrami.

the car wants to start but the gd coil wire pops off. the timing may need adjusting. i get kind of a huffing sound. no back fire or carb poping. car ran for 2 years with the msd blaster coil.

k
Gint
I still have the MSD box and coil from the /6. And I have another MSD 6AL box and 050 w/perttronix as well from another 914. I've got parts up the ying...

I rebuilt my IDF's the other day. The car is running better than it ever has since I've owned it, and it currently has the 009 back in it. I'm stuttering a little at steady throttle no matter what dizzy/coil/wires I have installed (but I have not yet installed the 6AL or the blaster coil). Other than that it's great.

Ooops... Sorry for the hijack...
rhodyguy
possible plans for a new day. removing the mallory coil from the equation is pretty simple. i'll re-install the msd coil (2 wires) and se what happens. i need to do some additional dimpling to the tin as the dist is just a bit tight when rotating the body. pull a valve cover, check the orientation of the dist. sometimes the best thing to do is walk away from the frustration for an evening and let the blood pressure come down.

k
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 5 2007, 07:59 AM) *

possible plans for a new day. removing the mallory coil from the equation is pretty simple. i'll re-install the msd coil (2 wires) and se what happens. i need to do some additional dimpling to the tin as the dist is just a bit tight when rotating the body. pull a valve cover, check the orientation of the dist. sometimes the best thing to do is walk away from the frustration for an evening and let the blood pressure come down.

k

Hi Kevin...
I've been following your thread, mostly the engine install, with interest. This whole coil dizzy thing has me feeling your pain...how frustrating. At one time I had an electrical issue that was causing a re-direct of my ground through the dizzy..frying my pertronix unit twice...when you think you've checked and double checked...then get smoke headbang.gif . I thought the ignition upgrade you are doing was more "plug-n-play"...good luck...sounds like you have lots of good advice rolling in.
Mark
rhodyguy
i just got off the phone with dave hunt. appearently i'm supposed to cut the coil end off of the coil to dist wire. then install the little black piece (it came with the coil) on the coil wire. much like the way you put a new end on a tv cable. i guess that would been clear if i had recieved some sort of instructions when i bought the coil. here's the kicker...dave found this info at the mallory site. there's not just a page where you can read it. it's a pdf file. i can never seem to get pdf files to work. dave's going to print it out and i'll drive across the bridge to get them. i just love the idea of cutting up my aurora wires.

k
Aaron Cox
its not hard kevin smile.gif.

the COIL comes with a new boot and terminal.
rhodyguy
no doubt. not hard at all if the part comes with installation directions. which it did not.

k
Aaron Cox
dont cut it... just pull the old boot, and copper terminal off, and recrimp the new one smile.gif
rhodyguy
even better than mallory's proceedure.

k
Aaron Cox
its that easy.. smile.gif

LS6/914
K, Hows the ignition? I will be passing by on my way to SIR Thursday (track and dial-in time for the Noble & CanAm cars) Give a holler if you need a terminal crimper for coil wire etc. Larry
rhodyguy
bump for purple (or whatever you real name is). read this. you should have a black/purple wire in the coil harness. the "blue" wire is confusing. the b/p wire provides a ground for the tach signal(-). note, the comment regarding the black wire(+) in the wire bundle containing the wire for the oil pressure switch.

k
purple
thanks rhody.

I read this thread before trying to put any of this crap in.

the wire i have for tach signal is blue, dont ask me why, because the DAPO probably had something to do with it. Believe me, I wanted to see a black & purple wire, I really did.

I used the black wire for +12V. I just noted what was connected to where when i took the old coil out.
rhodyguy
that's sort of how i blew mine up. thinking i hooked things up the same. i would back track and see EXACTLY what color wire the blue wire is connected to.
Rick L
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 3 2007, 11:10 PM) *

oh you did. you put amplified voltage through it. kapoof.

the MSD and Mallory 6a box instructions even tell you to not put test equipment on the coil wires.... for fear of blowing em up.

i have the same little boat anchor module as you... mine was due to the + battery terminal connection coming loose while driving. alternator output went straight into the box and dizzy.... along with other stuff in the car.

He said "kapoof" laugh.gif , is that like letting out the "magic smoke"? blowup.gif

Been there, done that idea.gif
I just threw out my Fireball and it's optics.....$160 down the drain mad.gif
dinomium
dho!
rhodyguy
read this. yes, disconnect the bat ground. yes, reroute any accesory wires on your ingnition. reread this thread. 3 wires, 3 connections. if your ign harness wires are scabbed with 'off' color ones, make damn sure you know EXACTLY where they are going. don't be in too big of a hurry. DO NOT crank the engine over excessively.
KaptKaos
This for me? smile.gif
rhodyguy
yes. i'm link stupid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.