Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 wheels will they fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
brilliantrot
I want to get a set of new wheels for my autocross car and have finally settled on Dimond steelies because they are cheap and not overly heavy (16pounds?). I am however wondering about what backspacing to order. I would like to run a 15x7 rim with 205-50-15 nitto NT-01's to stay in AP class because of the 100 tread wear rating. From what i understand a 15x7 with aproxamately a 5inch back spacing should fit but i just testfitted 15x7 cookie cutter rim with that tire from my dad's 912E to see if it looked like it would fit and it lookes really close. I am curently runing 195-55-15 yoko AVS ES 100's on American Racing 8 spoke vw rims (EMPI knock offs) and slightly rolled fenders with a finger withs clearence. My alignment in the back is 2.5 degrees negative camber and .07 toe out. I also have #140 springs on old Koni reds on full stiff if it makes a difference. Will i be able to fit these wheels or should i get 6.5s? Any advice would help because i would prefer not to pull the fenders anymore because the car was just painted and there is some bondo on the lower rear edge of driver the fender (fell off a jack PO). Fyi it is still a fourlug 1.9 on carbs with some other tweeks.
Crazyhippy
welcome.png W/ your fenders already pulled, there is no way to say...

It will take some pulling, wonder if you've done enough.

BJH
McMark
I would err on the side of slightly more backspacing. That way you can add a spacer if necessary. If there is not enough backspacing, then you are stuck.
jhadler
I have run 15x8 Diamonds with 5" backspacing, using 225/45-15 tires, and did not have any clearance problems up front, and no inner fender issues in the back. I did however, add about 1-1/2 inches of fender pulling in the rear... smash.gif

I know of someone who claimed to get 205/50-15's on 8" wheel under the stock rear fender with 5" backspacing, but at that point it all depends on the tire. Some 205's are MUCH wider than others...

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
NT-01's in AP what sanctioning body is that?

Anyway I have both Diamond pro's and Avengers in 8" width.
one set with 4.5" backspace
one set with 5" backspace.

Niether one has an issue with flared fiberglas fenders. 205/50-15 is the smallest I would run on the rims in Hoosier. This had a pretty square sidewall and was very nice and crisp turn in.

Ride hieght at the time was 4 1/4" at the lift donuts. (too low)
I am much higher now as a result of the race Koni's

brilliantrot
I am running the PCA Zone 8 autocrosses on the EL Toro runways. Great venue. Nothing to hit, tons of runoff room, and over one mile courses with an average or 14 runs. We need more 914s because I am the only one in my class. I have to run over 60 treadwear tyres because i already have 17 points and am only allowed three more for a total of 20 before I am bumped to AI. I realy need to stayout of AI because other people in AI are running as much as 3.2 sixes and i only have a FAT 1915 with 40 webers, stock 1.8 heads, hot street cam with ceramic lifters, a 12 pound flywheel, and most of the other trick T4 stuff, ie 911 swivel feet, 1.7 rocker arms with spacers replacing the sprongs and some other stuff. 200-60 treadwear tyres are 2points and less than 60 are 4 points in the PCA rating system so i have to stay above 60 treadwear. Thank you everyone for your imput but I have just ordered a set of new Yoko AVS ES 100 205-50-15 from Tyre Rack that I am going to run on the 8-spokes. The last set of Yokos only lasted 4k ish street miles and 9 autocrosses so I decided that it was probably better to save dad some money and continue to run street tyres for a while longer since I am only 16 and only have 9 autocrosses of performance driving experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.