Full Version: My new 914 motivator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ConeDodger
[flv]http://www.914world.com/videos/RobMotor.flv[/flv]
Chris Hamilton
just have people click on this:

http://www.thextremeresources.com/boshi/stuff/rob.html
McMark
GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I'm having trouble making it work....
DanT
why did this thread get edited? confused24.gif confused24.gif

was the content unacceptable? dry.gif

did I say something wrong? dry.gif
McMark
I deleted your posts because I thought I had fixed the video. Sorry Dan!! sad.gif pinch.gif

Video is fixed now and I'm not deleting anything.
DanT
thanks for the reply Mark smile.gif

motor sounds nice...

is Rob running a Tangerine?

McMark
Yup! happy11.gif
DanT
I'll be interested to see how we compare once we both get to the same event...

his motor is a 2270? ~ what kind of power are you expecting from this build?

160-170?

just a tad more than my 2056 with stock injection and Euro race header.

biggrin.gif
McMark
I'm excited to see some of the new motors coming out this season. Rob's 2270 is one and Randal should be out this season. I don't think the Beast will be ready this season, but I haven't heard anything from Bill recently.

Dan, what's your motor right now? Just an older stock 2.0?
DanT
right now it is an almost finished 2056. KB 96mm pistons in bored out stock Mahle cylinders (originals), 9550 cam, stock D-jet, Euro race header. 13# flywheel, completely rebuilt original 2.0L heads, crank flywheel and PP balanced as unit.

All machine work done by Jay biggrin.gif

should be buttoned up this weekend. biggrin.gif
McMark
Oh, you have no motor in your car? For some reason I thought you had a spare. The 9550 cam motor is a blast. You and Randy Wentzle (RoadGlue) both have brand new 2056/9550s. driving.gif
DanT
Yah, I thought he had a similar motor to mine... smile.gif
I had another case and some other stuff but needed to take my motor out for the heads and some other stuff....

I actually ended up using just about everything from my original motor so I will have a 2.0L GA case that has had all the oil galleys tapped and plugged.
along with a std/std 2.0L crank and lots of other stuff.
grantsfo
Nice to see it pulled togerther after the intial issues. Great to see all these hot 4's being pulled together! clap56.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 3 2007, 11:24 PM) *

160-170?

biggrin.gif

Dan,
Jake gets 170hp from this combo but I am not Jake. My suspension isn't as well developed as yours and I don't have anywhere near the 914 time you do either... In fact if we get to the same event I would appreciate some instruction if you can break free. This was fun but I have to tell you, a 2270 is not as easy a build as the stock motor. I was sure glad Mark was there peeking over my shoulder and in some instances actually doing the work. (Robby don't do no damn spirallocks)
Mark is the man if you have any doubt at all. He made all of the deck height measurement and CR setting as well as valve train geometry relatively easy.
You can feel the torque though... Mark uses that stand to test fire his 2056 motors and this one feels like it wants to jump right off the stand even at those low RPMs.
machina
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 4 2007, 02:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 3 2007, 11:24 PM) *

160-170?

biggrin.gif

Dan,
Jake gets 170hp from this combo but I am not Jake. My suspension isn't as well developed as yours and I don't have anywhere near the 914 time you do either... In fact if we get to the same event I would appreciate some instruction if you can break free. This was fun but I have to tell you, a 2270 is not as easy a build as the stock motor. I was sure glad Mark was there peeking over my shoulder and in some instances actually doing the work. (Robby don't do no damn spirallocks)
Mark is the man if you have any doubt at all. He made all of the deck height measurement and CR setting as well as valve train geometry relatively easy.
You can feel the torque though... Mark uses that stand to test fire his 2056 motors and this one feels like it wants to jump right off the stand even at those low RPMs.

that is an awsome video, congrats...

love the flames coming out the ports clap56.gif reminds me of this 4 cam motor shot...
DanT
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 4 2007, 12:10 AM) *

Dan,

those spiral locks are a pain...at least until you do several. The last couple of pistons were much easier, once I got the hang of those spiral circlips.
Our cars should be an interesting comparison. I have a little more suspension and you have a bit more HP...I would be glad to give you some pointers at any time...we just need to get these cars back into running condition. smile.gif
by the way, have you had any luck with the Submarine?
EdwardBlume
Congratulations, nice work, and great motor!

Its nice to see other people living out my dream with cash I don't have. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 4 2007, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 4 2007, 12:10 AM) *

Dan,

those spiral locks are a pain...at least until you do several. The last couple of pistons were much easier, once I got the hang of those spiral circlips.
Our cars should be an interesting comparison. I have a little more suspension and you have a bit more HP...I would be glad to give you some pointers at any time...we just need to get these cars back into running condition. smile.gif
by the way, have you had any luck with the Submarine?

Dan,
My sway bars and torsion bars are stock. My bushings are stock. My springs are 140 Welts. My shocks and struts are Koni Yellow. The car is aligned and corner balanced. Pretty much street stuff...
I didn't want to go too far off the modification cliff until I had considerable seat time. The motor had to be done as I could not get the stock DJet to run correctly, even with considerable help from Martin Baker. I have been driving Datsun Z cars for 20+ years so I need to learn the car.
Mine should be back together pretty quickly. I have everything, the car is on the jackstands.
I have not really tried to sell the Submarine that aggressively. I have a guy interested right now but his concern is that it is more an autocross car and less a track car. I will have it out to our SVR event at Stockton next week.
DanT
sounds like your suspension is pretty much what we used to run in Bi class.

problem is you get nailed just as much for 140# rear springs as I do for 21mm front torsion bars AND 180# rears....ah the vagaries of our points system dry.gif
the submarine could be turned into a track car very easily...I think the guy is just trying to talk himself out of it....
I am surprised that is hasn't sold before now.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 4 2007, 09:04 AM) *

problem is you get nailed just as much for 140# rear springs as I do for 21mm front torsion bars AND 180# rears....ah the vagaries of our points system dry.gif
the submarine could be turned into a track car very easily...I think the guy is just trying to talk himself out of it....

No kidding... Amazing price for a brand new Jeff Hines built motor. A guy could buy the car, pull the motor and sell the shell with all its prep and make out like a bandit. In fact that is a plan at the back of my head.
grantsfo

In thinking about it I believe most of our suspensions are fairly similar for cars driving at Zone 7 events. I'm using 21mm front bar, original stock bushings, 19mm front torsions, 250 lb rear springs and Koni yellows in rear and Bilstien sports in the front. Essentially only effective change I made from my T4 setup was to add a little heavier spring rate when the six went in. Nothing special or trick ...yet.

I havent looked at super zoomie T4 suspensions - have they done anything trick?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 4 2007, 10:15 AM) *

In thinking about it I believe most of our suspensions are fairly similar for cars driving at Zone 7 events. I'm using 21mm front bar, original stock bushings, 19mm front torsions, 250 lb rear springs and Koni yellows in rear and Bilstien sports in the front. Essentially only effective change I made from my T4 setup was to add a little heavier spring rate when the six went in. Nothing special or trick ...yet.

I havent looked at super zoomie T4 suspensions - have they done anything trick?

I am considering that I may need 180# or better due to the increase in torque and HP. I like the Elephant Bushings but Muellers rollers would be nice too.
I want a bigger front bar but I like the soft T bars...
Chris Foley has got something new cooking on the stiffening the trailing bar area...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.