Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (Metal Master) Brake Pad Help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cuca914
Did some searching of previous threads in hopes of not bothering you guys with this question. Unfortunately, searching online for Metal Master brake pads opened up a BIG can of worms. Seems PartsAmerica(Kragen) carries Beck/Arnley brand Axxis Metal Master pads, while other sites came up with Axxis XBG as a replacement for Metal Master. headbang.gif WTF.gif

Maybe I should just look for another brand. I'm not looking for AX pads, just something that will support aggressive street driving. Anybody got some "clear cut" suggestions, that are priced fair and easy to get?

Thanks! beerchug.gif
jasons
I think the XBG's are the Metal Masters. I ordered some MM's for my 944S2, from one of my best friends who manages a VW shop. What showed up were PBR XBG's. I thought they were wrong too, but I did some homework and somehow convinced myself they were right. If you want to be sure, call paragon products, tell them you want MM's and they will sell you the right pads.
cuca914
The Beck/Arnley pads they have at Kragen have semi-metallic for the front, but only organic for the rear. They warn about strictly using semi-metallic if replacing OEM semi-metallic pads - how does one tell what the old pads are made of?

Thanks
Aaron Cox
see what www.pelicanparts.com recommends for 914's and what they sell.

i LOVE my porterfield R4S street/AX pads.
Brando
I run Metal Master pads. They good, don't forget to bevel the edges of the pads before install or you'll get a little squealies. And, they're a little noisey when you brake at slow speeds and they're cold.
alpha434
Frickin' A.

Wish I knew about beveling the edges. My hard pads squeal like nothin else. I have to drag the brakes for a block before they warm up.
Eric_Shea
Thinking about a Porterfield "Group Buy" idea.gif
cuca914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 4 2007, 05:35 PM) *

see what www.pelicanparts.com recommends for 914's and what they sell.

i LOVE my porterfield R4S street/AX pads.

Thanks Aaron, at first I couldn't find the Metal Master pads on Pelican's site, but then I looked under the Performance Upgrades and there they are.

So what's the deal with beveling the edges? Is that easy to do?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
feroddo is what we would recommend hands down. Metal masters are, like previous posts, for the street, long wearing and squeeling. We HATE them but they have a great markup. I will never forget the time someone suggested metal masters for the track (what ever their track pads were at the time) and after one lap around Road Atlanta in my 914 3.0, I had no brake pedal!!!!!! The name sounds good though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.