Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ceramic Coat Stainless HE's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
So I'm thinking about my 3.2 conversion (a lot) lately. I'd like to have heat. It looks like I'll have to choose from BB or GHL - both stainless. I think it'd be a good idea to ceramic coat them...for keeping heat out of the engine bay and in the cockpit.

What's the consensus?
iamchappy
Look for a pair of stock HE's. And have them hot jet coated.
Grimstead
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 4 2007, 06:54 AM) *

Look for a pair of stock HE's. And have them hot jet coated.

agree.gif
seanery
there are 2 problems with stock HE's.

1. PRICE - more than a new set of aftermarket stainless - way more
2. RESTRICTION - from what I've read 3.2 is really too much for the stock HE's to flow
TimT
Coating stainless headers for heat management would be a good idea. They will also look good forever, you wont see the bluing
iamchappy
Problem with aftermarket HE's is finding a pair that fits. I am told most dont.
I've been told the stock HE's flow very good I have them on my turbo 3.1 because
Henry at Supertec recommended them.
Or consider headers for the track. And used stock HE's for the cold seasons.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Sean:
I'll bet those voteing , It's overkill, are not from the Mid West or colder states.
Anything you can do to get MORE HEAT in the drivers area is OK by me.

Dave slap.gif
JPB
Well you have two options for ceramic now. The old stuff kept 300F off the exterior and the new from what I've heard is a hell of alot more. The new stuff is blue though and not the chrome or flat aluminium finish. beer.gif
914werke
Ive done it, It ROCKS aktion035.gif thumb3d.gif
Heat is Gud!
Larry.Hubby
I had a friend with a 2.4 six conversion that bought a pair of the BB headers with HE's, and he got rid of them because they don't produce enough heat (apparently the heater boxes on the outside are too much larger than the pipes they surround, so the air isn't forced into enough contact with the pipes, and they don't cover enough of the pipes to pick up very much heat).

I thought about the GHL parts for my 3.0 six conversion, but they aren't equal length headers, the HE boxes also look too much bigger than the pipes (big square boxes compared to the conformal shapes of the factory units) and don't have tubes through the boxes to allow you to get to the flange nuts to easily install and remove them.

I wound up with factory six heater boxes, and have been very happy with them. The price is ~$1000-1200 for a good used set, so NOT more than stainless header with HEs, and, unless you race or use the top of your rev range a lot, the car actually feels faster with the smaller tubes because it enhances the midrange. I've heard that the HP difference on Jerry Woods' dyno between the factory HEs and larger headers on a 3.2 six is only 5 hp or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.