Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SVR Series Autocross #1 Saturday May 12th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ConeDodger
driving.gif MDB2.gif driving-girl.gif

Morning check in and tech 7:30am - 8:30am

Late check in and tech 11:30am - 12:30pm

First car out 9:00am, No open exhaust, $35.00 per entered driver...

If you have come to Stockton before Matt plans a very different course from what you have seen... (Not sure I like that)

We should get lots of runs! Bring your Mom!!!
Chris Pincetich
I hope to see you there! beerchug.gif SATURDAY vs. Sunday, I think, might need to edit your title biggrin.gif
Tentatively planning a 914 BBQ to work on my car that Saturday, but racing Sat and working on the 914 Sunday could be a better plan.

Can't wait to see that 2270 in action, will it be ready?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ May 4 2007, 12:26 PM) *

I hope to see you there! beerchug.gif SATURDAY vs. Sunday, I think, might need to edit your title biggrin.gif
Tentatively planning a 914 BBQ to work on my car that Saturday, but racing Sat and working on the 914 Sunday could be a better plan.

Can't wait to see that 2270 in action, will it be ready?

It will probably not be ready. The Bumblebee is the plan.

I will edit in a bit here...
ConeDodger
Bumpity Bump...
ConeDodger
Here a bump there a bump bump bump...
ConeDodger
Three days away! BE THERE BE THERE BE THERE!!!
ConeDodger
Oh my... The event is tomorrow. Maybe Yopu will drive!!!!
Chris Pincetich
914 is taking a back seat to other chores/events this weekend, and needs some TLC instead of a thrashing. I've got some work to do on it before the next outing, hoping to be 100% again for the WCR. Have fun beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Sorry to hear you will be a no show Chris... I already have two drivers in the 'bee so no room for more.
J P Stein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 11 2007, 05:01 PM) *

Sorry to hear you will be a no show Chris... I already have two drivers in the 'bee so no room for more.

Pretty car, moderately quick, needs fat tiars (not the beer).....nothing personal, that's the same thing I tole Jim. biggrin.gif
Not that it's any of my biddness, but "the famous JP" says it has more potential than
than a 2270 given the same amount of prep to each.
DanT
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 12 2007, 08:48 AM) *

Pretty car, moderately quick, needs fat tiars (not the beer).....nothing personal, that's the same thing I tole Jim. biggrin.gif
Not that it's any of my biddness, but "the famous JP" says it has more potential than

now there you go JP, trying to start the 6 V 4 things again..... laugh.gif
If I had that car I would be going in the direction you suggest also.... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 12 2007, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 12 2007, 08:48 AM) *

now there you go JP, trying to start the 6 V 4 things again..... laugh.gif
If I had that car I would be going in the direction you suggest also.... biggrin.gif

I am sure that JP is right. Take my day at the SVR Series #1 as a case in point. JP mentioned to me when I bought the car that the car had lots of potential. I am only on my third event in the car after today. I am STILL using those nasty Kumho Victoracers that Jim sold me with the track wheels. My best time today was 44.4XX. I can't find the darn slip. But I know that TTOD was Mike Ambrosevitz at 42.7XX and I think EJ and maybe Susan Fontaine snuck in between me and Mike. Possibly Larry Adams in his GT-3. Remember, EJ, Susan, and Mike are on race tires. After the event, Mike said I needed tires. By that he didn't mean new ones. He meant the same thing JP did. Fat ones. I pondered a 5 lug conversion on the way home. I have the wheels... There really isn't a debate to be had over 4 Vs. 6. They are both very good cars in their own ways. Heck Martin Baker was in his new to him Signal Orange 914 2.0 liter with Dwight Mitchell built motor. He layed down some PHAT times. He may even have beaten me. I know he got into the 44's with me. When he nails a run he lets out a yell and pumps his fist in the air the way I used to. That boy does love to drive hard...
Part of my problem with the car is I don't know what was done other than the Jeff Hines motor. I see Bilsteins and some unknown spring. The front is total mystery. Well there is that monster swaybar. Probably early Welty... The car just grips and rips when you drive it... I probably will never sell it. It is for sale but I am not chasing anyone to buy it. It is priced where it will sell and if it doesn't it will always have a home with me... I suspect though, that I drive it the way JP thinks it should be driven... Hard and fast. Fun car. Fun course today too... I will post the results in the 914Cup later when Matt sends them.
J P Stein
I can empathise with your not wanting to tear up the paint job for some flares (tho it wouldn't stop me biggrin.gif), but you'd be surprised how just a new set of 710s or A6s would improve your times. I drove that car with those tires...better than a year ago & the tires were the weakest point.

New tiars, butt time & you move up the order....then you want more.......the slippery slope beckons.biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 13 2007, 08:51 AM) *

I can empathise with your not wanting to tear up the paint job for some flares (tho it wouldn't stop me biggrin.gif), but you'd be surprised how just a new set of 710s or A6s would improve your times. I drove that car with those tires...better than a year ago & the tires were the weakest point.

New tiars, butt time & you move up the order....then you want more.......the slippery slope beckons.biggrin.gif

JP, The slippery slope lives at my house. I have two 914s a 911, a BMW Motorcycle, a 240Z, and a 4Runner that gets more banged up every day!
I would not be at all opposed to putting flares on the car. I would also lose the front end and go with a FG bumper and GT valence. Just my taste. Some like that Group 5 nose. Each one of them cars wants for something... The silver 914 project is first. Although a new set of 710s is nothing. Hmmmmmmm....
J P Stein
Diversification is good for the soul, but bad for AX times. biggrin.gif
I'm not fond of that front end either, but it'd dufernow.
You could limit the repaint to 4 fenders. Light 4 lugs are available (custom)
and would be cheeper than a 5 lug changeover....maybe I'm a bit more budget conscious.

At any rate, 710 or A6s in 205s would keep you in the hunt till the season's over.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 13 2007, 10:50 AM) *

Diversification is good for the soul, but bad for AX times. biggrin.gif
I'm not fond of that front end either, but it'd dufernow.
You could limit the repaint to 4 fenders. Light 4 lugs are available (custom)
and would be cheeper than a 5 lug changeover....maybe I'm a bit more budget conscious.

At any rate, 710 or A6s in 205s would keep you in the hunt till the season's over.

OK... I will go to Tire Rack and order. In the mean time, if'n you see some of them Carrera struts walkin' around the PacNW. Grab 'em up and I will bolt them in. Eric can do the rear. Cookies are light and I have five sitting in my stash.
ConeDodger
Here are the top six times of the day...

Mike A. 42.569 914-6 conversion race car with race rubber

E.J. Fontaine 43.334 914-6 conversion race car with race rubber

Greg Adams 43.974 GT3 (Dad's car)

Rob Sime 44.476 914-6 conversion with stockish 2.7 Jeff Hines motor and DOT-R tires

Martin Baker 44.483 914-4 with Dwight Mitchell motor and DOT-R tires

Susan Fontaine 44.678 914-6 conversion race car with race rubber (same as above)

So, five of the top six times are 914's. Matt Deter the Autocross chair who put on the event with me and others wants me to point out to the world in print that I got beat by a water-pumping tail-dragger. Ok, there it is Matt. But it cost Mr. Adams an extra $100,000 to beat me by .502 seconds... Hmmmm...
DanT
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 14 2007, 09:07 AM) *

Here are the top six times of the day...

Mike A. 42.569 914-6 conversion race car with race rubber

E.J. Fontaine 43.334 914-6 conversion race car with race rubber

Greg Adams 43.974 GT3 (Dad's car)

Rob Sime 44.476 914-6 conversion with stockish 2.7 Jeff Hines motor and DOT-R tires

Martin Baker 44.483 914-4 with Dwight Mitchell motor and DOT-R tires

Susan Fontaine 44.678 914-6 conversion race car with race rubber (same as above)

So, five of the top six times are 914's. Matt Deter the Autocross chair who put on the event with me and others wants me to point out to the world in print that I got beat by a water-pumping tail-dragger. Ok, there it is Matt. But it cost Mr. Adams an extra $100,000 to beat me by .502 seconds... Hmmmm...

Actually Rob, it didn't cost Greg anything biggrin.gif Now it might have cost Larry Adams a bit more than that happy11.gif
And 997 GT3s come stock from the factory with DOTR rubber in the 60wr range.
not really a "street" car.
Martin Baker
Hey Rob, why don't you explain how you managed three back to back runs in the afternoon, for your timed runs. Is that because you are part of the AX staff? I would like that chance, as I am sure the entire rest of the field would. I am far from the only one who noticed...

By the way, your motor is 2.7S spec. This information comes from the actual builder.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ May 14 2007, 06:25 PM) *

Hey Rob, why don't you explain how you managed three back to back runs in the afternoon, for your timed runs. Is that because you are part of the AX staff? I would like that chance, as I am sure the entire rest of the field would. I am far from the only one who noticed...

By the way, your motor is 2.7S spec. This information comes from the actual builder.

I was instructing and the only way to get my runs and the students runs in were to do mine back to back and hers back to back. I had a codriver and he drove it back to back before I did. Unbuckling and changing cars every run with that few cars in the event would have held up the event by half an hour. Even at that, she did not get her last run because I couldn't get into her car before they started tearing down the course. Does that explain that?

I also had the "unfair privilige" of getting up at 0430 and driving down from Sacramento with the autocross trailer in tow. Setting up the course, tearing it down, and driving back with the trailer again. I bet there are maybe 5 people who noticed that, and they were the only ones to thank me. Matt also took his runs back to back. Most of the time, we don't even get a chance to check the air in our tires because of what it takes to run the event. Still, it is nice that people are noticing SOMETHING about running the event and without taking into account the work involved complaining to each other about it. Very classy. Anyone who thinks that was something of an advantage is welcome to step up and do some of the work instead of complaining... I would love not to have to always be the one who does the work. I am sure Matt feels the same.

Builder tells me I can "really wake it up with S cams and pistons". Perhaps I am confused but I thought he meant that in order to "wake it up" I would have to install S cams and pistons in the engine. If what you say is true, I would only need to turn the key. My impression, and I am the only one who has driven it is that it is a fairly tame motor. Certainly not as lively as Mike's motor which is a 2.7S... edit: Mine is a CIS S motor. Mild cam, domed pistons, wider power band which comes in lower. S spec is earlier, radical high lift cam with domed pistons with valve relief. BIG difference.
McMark
You make the event, you make the rules. Step up! wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 15 2007, 12:24 AM) *

You make the event, you make the rules. Step up! wink.gif

It really isn't a matter of "making the rules" either... Although you make a good point Mark, some of these people who are always complaining should step up and make an effort - selflessly - for someone else instead of enjoying the hard work of others and complaining when it doesn't suit them.
We did what we had to do to run the event and get our own runs in. I paid my money too. I should get to run, even if that means I have to run back to back runs. Which by the way, I couldn't have if everyone else wasn't done. What did all of your people who "noticed" propose that I should do? Should I have waited 15 minutes between runs and held up the event finish?

I guess you really didn't know what you were talking about did you Martin?
Martin Baker
This I do know...No mater what you or your Buddy types...everyone knows its in poor taste to do what you did, and if anyone else did it you 100% would bitch up a storm. You can say whatever you like, but this why you have gotten SO bent out of shape. I find it very funny myself....Maybe you should get up at 3:30AM next time, so have time to get gas before the event, and put a starter on your car so you don't have to drag it through a gravel parking lot to start it...LOL
ConeDodger
This is such a common mistake. Reading what someone types and imagining a tone of voice or mood. I am not the least bit bent out of shape. I find this amusing...
grantsfo
From my experience its pretty much accepted that AX organizers and instructors get some level of advantage in running back to back etc. However they are sacraficing focus and time by instructing or managing the event.

And you know ....some smart AX drivers know how to put themselves into situation where they might just have high probablity of back to back runs without being an organizer.

I think anyone who seriously complains about this might want to just focus on their driving rather than worrying if somones tires are marginally warmer than theirs. Especially when running DOT rubber.

DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 16 2007, 08:48 PM) *

From my experience its pretty much accepted that AX organizers and instructors get some level of advantage in running back to back etc. However they are sacraficing focus and time by instructing or managing the event.

And you know ....some smart AX drivers know how to put themselves into situation where they might just have high probablity of back to back runs without being an organizer.

I think anyone who seriously complains about this might want to just focus on their driving rather than worrying if somones tires are marginally warmer than theirs. Especially when running DOT rubber.

You are right Grant. At the last GGR event of 2006 at Alameda I was running in the last group. There were two or three places on the back side of the course that I had designed where a cone was very probably going to be hit. I had 4 reruns due to finding a down cone at the same place 4 times in a row. Stop, point to it and ask for a rerun... smile.gif
The excuse of the course workers after the event was that they did not have enough time to replace the cone, since it was hit by 4 different drivers I was following on 4 different reruns. And I was closing on the driver in front of me every time. happy11.gif
Was that illegal....no, just a happenstance of that event...
It was kind of poetic since I had the very last run of the day and I did design the course.
And no, what Rob did is not out of the ordinary for AX chairs, course designers or even sometimes instructors that due to time constraints they get back to back runs. Should it happen as a matter of habit, no. But it does occurr. Being in charge and setting up these events is no cake walk... confused24.gif driving.gif driving.gif

instructors have an advantage at every event...they are getting at least twice as many looks at any particular course and sometimes more if they have more than one student.
Also, years ago in Zone 7, an instructor could not ride with a student until they had at least one run in their own car, so they could not see the course at speed. dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 16 2007, 08:48 PM) *

I consider "serious complain" to be AT THE EVENT TO THE EVENT MASTER!!!

I never even for a moment considered running my runs back to back as an advantage. I was just trying to keep the event moving by not climbing in and out of two cars six times. All my times for five runs are within 2 seconds of each other. With the last time the best. I would call that just learning the course.

Anyone who complains about my tired old Victoracers which were on the car before Jim Chambers owned it needs to focus on their driving.

Anyone who thinks my CIS S spec motor is the same as an S spec motor needs to check there facts.

I will admit to one advantage. I got to see the course on paper before others did.

Thanks for your very well put response Grant.
street legal go-kart
With all the queefing and moaning this place sounds more and more like "The Old Place " everyday.

Man up and do more than the minimum, you to can share in the percieved advantages....

JT
street legal go-kart
P.S.

When you pull the narrow body Group 5 nose off the Bumblebee , I'm First in line.

JT
ConeDodger
QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ May 16 2007, 09:35 PM) *

P.S.

When you pull the narrow body Group 5 nose off the Bumblebee , I'm First in line.

JT

You got it... Like I said, all I want is a fiberglass front bumper and an LE spoler for it. Even that is negotiable...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.