Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: general car building question-selecting shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914efi
What brand of shock do people trust? I'm building a Healey 3000 with all new suspension, coilovers on both ends and I need to decide what to buy. I was going with Varishocks, but was told they are strictly for drag racing. I spoke to them on the phone, and their quality rep seems good. There are lots of racing shocks around, but I don't know how long they last, most seem to be aimed at the budget circle track market. Bilstein and Koni are probably the top quality choices.

Thanks--
jd74914
Are you building a custom suspension or just redoing the factory stuff with coilovers? What kind of budget are you working with? Olins or Carrera or some company like that probably has something you can adapt with threaded bodies, but they are big $$.

pffft
QUOTE(914efi @ May 4 2007, 01:54 PM) *

What brand of shock do people trust? I'm building a Healey 3000 with all new suspension, coilovers on both ends and I need to decide what to buy. I was going with Varishocks, but was told they are strictly for drag racing. I spoke to them on the phone, and their quality rep seems good. There are lots of racing shocks around, but I don't know how long they last, most seem to be aimed at the budget circle track market. Bilstein and Koni are probably the top quality choices.

Thanks--

There's no much room, especially in back. Without reworking the frame the
axle has to run above the frame rails. What are you gonna do back there?

In the front, I am guessing you have something figured out to replace the
lever shocks as upper arms?

Sounds fun, give us some more details and maybe we can help more.

patrick
914efi
Yes, all of the rear 'underslung' frame has been removed and an upper hoop put in to support the coilovers, 4 link etc. The front is going to be custom arms, rack&pinion with coilovers also. It is going to be a street car. It has a ford v8 which is lighter than the Healey 6. I'll post a few pictures when I have a chance. It might have been somebody here that mentioned the Varishocks, but from what I undersand the Carreras are now made cheaply overseas. I'm not hugely budget limted, just looking for good stuff without going overboard.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.