Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker Panel Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I bought a set of rocker panels and after having them soda blasted found quite a few problems. I was fit testing them today and thought they looked a little weird at the rear.

I know that the cars are all a little different but I thought that the rockers shouldn't curve in so much at the rear.

Does this look okay?
jonferns
It looks like the rear may not be seated properly.
Allan
Maybe. I'm looking at your's and it looks like it's normal.

It's just been a looooong time since I've actually looked at a teener that I forgot... sad.gif
ahdoman
That's what mine look like.
burton73
Allan,

You note on the picture of my car with the rocker mounted it looks straight back there. (Sorry that is the best picture I have of it) On the picture on the left side you see the 1970 has ribs that help hold the rocker straight. Does the 74 have them as well. I have seen pictures of cars that did not have the same amount of metal there and I thought it was a year-to-year thing.

Bob
Aaron Cox
allan... make standoffs like i did, so they follow the body line smile.gif
jonferns
Now that I look at it more closely, the rockers on my signature pic appear to be tilted inward as well
Bartlett 914
I have a 74 and both were that way. Either they were made that way or they are bent the same.
rhodyguy
mine looks about the same. the bottom rear is kind of free floating for quite some distance. live with it or try and gently tweek it out if you want. no one will notice with your new paint job and the six sound as you drive by them.

k
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The Lansing Steel/ Restoration design panels are slightly more curved than the factory originals as it was hard to stamp them with the flanges attached and still maintain the perfect straightness of the factory look.
After the big heist, we created our own tooling and stamped perfect duplicates.
Don't get me wrong, the Lansing Steel panels work fine, just do not look absolutely original (as you can see by what you have)!
rhodyguy
input. i don't know if your product has changed, but the cut edges were sharp as hell and looked like they were cut with a pair of hand shears. these were the ones that were brought to camamrillo in 05'. there would be some hand work to achive a finished look and to avoid potentially cutting your hand on them. just $.02.

k
burton73
George,

Allan has said nothing but the rockers came off of my 914-6 #41 the brown car shown above. As that can sat for 16 years and the panels where on there back in 1984 I do not even know if Lansing Steel/ Restoration design was even in biz. then so we can take that one off the table unless Allan put a different set on his car than the brown ones he picked up from me.

Regards,

Bob
rhodyguy
allan, do they look $330+shp and handling worth of *wrong*?

k
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 5 2007, 01:44 PM) *

George,

Allan has said nothing but the rockers came off of my 914-6 #41 the brown car shown above. As that can sat for 16 years and the panels where on there back in 1984 I do not even know if Lansing Steel/ Restoration design was even in biz. then so we can take that one off the table unless Allan put a different set on his car than the brown ones he picked up from me.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob. Wow! Six number 41 probably had rocker panels made by hand in the Porsche racing shop!!!! All of those early cars had different quirks about them!!! (maybe you should have kept them!!!!!!!)
I of course had no idea of where the panels came from but did want to note that there existed for at least 15 years now aftermarket steel rocker panels different in shape than the factory originals.
Who of course knows the history of any of these used rocker panels, and they are so flimsy anyway that they are easily distorted!!!!!!!!!!!!
Allan
Rocker panels are all fixed and ready for paint.

$330.00? blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.