Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I get rid of these ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
I need some help here . I dropped my engine to fix some major oil leaks . I'm wondering if I can take this nonworking assy. out while I have the tin off I don't have a T-stat. so i'm thinking it won't hurt to remove them. Am I correct in my thoughts? Here are some pics. of what i'm talking about.

Thanks,
jbart
So.Cal.914
You live in CA so I don't see a problem, just need to let it warm up a bit.
DanT
the one over the oil cooler can be rivited down to permanently blow air into the oil cooler. the one on the other side can be eliminated.

at least for my track car... biggrin.gif that is exactly what I have done.
And mine was still working properly. happy11.gif
toon1
maybe the top one,maybe, if you have no plan to use the belows. Definitly not the bottom one, it directs the air over teh oil cooler
JBart
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 5 2007, 12:23 AM) *

maybe the top one,maybe, if you have no plan to use the belows. Definitly not the bottom one, it directs the air over teh oil cooler

I hate to sound stupid but what are belows?
DanT
there is a pulley system on the bottom left side of the motor that connects to a bellows that heats up, expands and then closes/opens the doors in the manner you found them.
It is an aircooled version of a thermostat on a water cooled motor..
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I would find a T-stat ,pulley.and wire to make the thing fuction properly. Porsche engineers disigned it that way for a reason. my 2 cents Dave slap.gif
MecGen
Hi

Sorry man, you got to keep em. Get the T-stat working, even in Cali. When you remove flaps in the cooling system, (they actually route air to the rite places,) the motor will run hotter in all the wrong places.

The cooling system is very well thought of, but it needs to be working on a T4.

Later

beerchug.gif
URY914
QUOTE(MecGen @ May 5 2007, 05:10 AM) *

Hi

Sorry man, you got to keep em. Get the T-stat working, even in Cali. When you remove flaps in the cooling system, (they actually route air to the rite places,) the motor will run hotter in all the wrong places.

Later

beerchug.gif

I agree 100%. Street cars need these pieces to work. Everything is there for a very good reason.
computers4kids
QUOTE(BarberDave @ May 5 2007, 03:36 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif
I would find a T-stat ,pulley.and wire to make the thing fuction properly. Porsche engineers disigned it that way for a reason. my 2 cents Dave slap.gif

QUOTE(MecGen @ May 5 2007, 06:10 AM) *

Hi

Later

beerchug.gif

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 5 2007, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(MecGen @ May 5 2007, 05:10 AM) *

Hi

Later

beerchug.gif

I agree 100%. Street cars need these pieces to work. Everything is there for a very good reason.

If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal.
Cap'n Krusty
"If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal."

Of course you shouldn't let the fact that the T3 part won't fit get in your way ..................... How ya gonna attach the wire? T4 ones are available. For the street, running the flaps in the default position is a good option. The Cap'n
computers4kids
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 5 2007, 08:20 AM) *

"If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal."

Of course you shouldn't let the fact that the T3 part won't fit get in your way ..................... How ya gonna attach the wire? T4 ones are available. For the street, running the flaps in the default position is a good option. The Cap'n

The T3 does fit...EVparts sells a cable kit with the correct T4 coupler for $20...it's all plug-n-play. I didn't realize T4 thermostat's were available...I couldn't find one when I was looking for one a few months ago. I wanted a new one...
type47
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 5 2007, 07:20 AM) *

maybe he just mis-identified the type as i think it's actually a type I thermostat adapted to work on a type IV
computers4kids
maybe he just mis-identified the type as i think it's actually a type I thermostat adapted to work on a type IV

Yes, your right...it is a Type 1, not a Type 3 thermostat that converts nicely for a Type 4 motor...sorry for the confusion.

Here is a great article on the Type 4 thermostat with pics...worth the read.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JBart @ May 4 2007, 11:17 PM) *

Am I correct in my thoughts?

NO

you need the flaps. especially the one over the oil cooler. look at how the air system works.
if you remove that flap you will have *NO* air going through the oil cooler at all!

you're going to cook your engine in no time ...

the flap over the oil cooler actually forces air into the cooler when it's DOWN and covering the top of the cooler!
cool_shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.