Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DSM
Man, it's hard to justify the price difference. $1100 vs $300. I've done the glass flares a few yrs ago and remember how badly they fit. I'm wondering if the glass ones from the bird fit any better these days. How about steel repros? Do they suffer from a poor fit as well? I can think of other areas to spend that $700 difference but if they don't look right then...

Does anyone make a good fitting glass flare and a matching rocker?

seanery
for the price, AA's steel flares are a deal. Remember how much we were spending on factory flares 8 or so years ago!
So.Cal.914
If you did glass flairs before then you know how easy they shatter. Glass is fine

for racing especially if they are screwed on. For the street, a small impact, that

will shatter a glass flair, would cause you to rub out some paint on a steel flair.
DSM
Do the steel repros fit any better than the glass? Or, do the glass flare fit better than they used to? The glass ones from AA were what a struggled with 8 yrs ago due the cost of the steels back then.
DSM
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 5 2007, 08:16 AM) *

If you did glass flairs before then you know how easy they shatter. Glass is fine

for racing especially if they are screwed on. For the street, a small impact, that

will shatter a glass flair, would cause you to rub out some paint on a steel flair.

I never saw a problem with them shattering. Just the bad fit to the 914 body which required rocker work and lots of filler to get everything lined up.
seanery
Do a quick search for AA flares...we had a group buy this winter, so there are/were lots of folks installing them. I'm sure you can find some good info along with pics. I bought a set, but they are still in the box, for now.

when you search, try it a couple times with flares spelled flairs and some other common misspelling - you'll probably get more results doing that biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(DSM @ May 5 2007, 09:27 AM) *

I never saw a problem with them shattering. Just the bad fit to the 914 body which required rocker work and lots of filler to get everything lined up.

Welcome to body work... I don't think they come with zippers if thats what you

mean. Know matter what there will be a little work, even if they were factory

flairs.

"I never saw a problem with them shattering."

Never drove it?
BIGKAT_83
I've got a set of fiberglass flares that have been on my car since 1983, no cracking or shattering yet.

Bob
DSM
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 5 2007, 08:33 AM) *

QUOTE(DSM @ May 5 2007, 09:27 AM) *

Welcome to body work... I don't think they come with zippers if thats what you

mean. Know matter what there will be a little work, even if they were factory

flairs.

"I never saw a problem with them shattering."

Never drove it?

I drove it for yrs until a guy showed up with $12K cash. I've just never had an issue with glass body parts "shattering". Even the rear fiberglass fenders on my Dodge dually seem to have survived quite well.

It looks like I missed a deal on the AA group buy. I dealt with George many yrs ago when the 914 cataloge first came out. Them and what used to be "P.B. Tweeks" . Just discovered Tweeks is no longer supporting Porsche folks.

Thanks for all the advice on the "flairs". I may just do something unique instead.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 5 2007, 09:16 AM) *

I've got a set of fiberglass flares that have been on my car since 1983, no cracking or shattering yet.

Bob

Really, I ask again, Do you drive it? Have they ever been hit? Glass is strong but

brittle, it cracks easily, Yes I have had plenty of glass and, other than for race

applications, I will never use it again. Thats a hell of alot of work to install them

and have it 'look good', just to have some Old lady with a shopping cart brake one

or spyder web the surface.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(DSM @ May 5 2007, 10:18 AM) *

I drove it for yrs until a guy showed up with $12K cash. I've just never had an issue with glass body parts "shattering". Even the rear fiberglass fenders on my Dodge dually seem to have survived quite well.

rolleyes.gif
DSM
Thanks Paul.

Now go adjust the valves and crank up the ALDA on your 617. biggrin.gif

The "CD" W123s are nice cars BTW.
dekman
For track...glass. For street....steel. For me.....cold steel baby! thumb3d.gif
smj
Threadjack: What if you don't like the boxy look of GT flares? I've been collecting pictures of other, smoother flares. Some where people reshape the whole rear quarter, others where folks start with 911SC flares.

I'd leave the fenders alone on my -6, but with 205s the fronts are rubbing on sharp turns.
GeorgeRud
I had the factory steel flares installed quite a few years ago, and they were no great shakes either. All flare installation (even popriviting fiberglass ones on a racecar) requires some fitting, grinding, more fitting, etc. the more time taken, the better the final product usually.

If you have a chance, try to find a bodyshop that has already done some in the past and have some experience. By the way, the fiberglass rocker panels don't exactly fit much better!
jonferns
i would have to agree that glass is too vulnerable for street...it can ruin easily...it is alot lighter for the track....but why listen to me, i contradict myself...i have glass on my 914...and its NOT yet a track car biggrin.gif

IPB Image
JPB
I'd do the Gt Flare thing if I wanted to make a repro 916 out of my car but for looks there are better ways of shaping your fenders. Some folks have even taken the old ball hammer to bump them out and smoothen with a hammer and sand bag. The bondoing would be the same for the finishing touch and they wind up looking great. As mentioned above, there are 911 mods you can do also. If you look at some pics of member's cars, there are many options which you can pick from. beer.gif
DSM
This will be another V8 car I am putting together. I had thoughts of making it a GT replica at first but the more I think about it I don't really like the boxy, uneven openings of the GT flares. Wanting to do something unique but I didn't want to copy my good friend Richard Fisher's 550HP Brodix car. One hell of a 914 BTW.
I just got to make room for the 255/40/17 rears.

Its slow going at this point as I'm also working on a resto for another member's 2.0l car. Its getting new pans, trunk, stiffening... so the V8 project has a little time to get sorted out as far as the flares.

Maybe I need to start a "Show us your flares" thread .

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dan
germanv82000
Some years ago I went to a 914 get together in Cambria (Hwy 1) and the best looking subtly flared car there came from San Diego. Owned by I believe Bob Parsons. Cut, pulled and filled as I remember him telling me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.