Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot what's the deal with PDF files?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
trying to click on a link, @ mallory's site to be exact, i get the "some files can harm your computer..." warning. i'm ask to open or save. i choose open. then the file gets saved in some temp file i can't find. so i save to a specific file and then the doc won't open. so what's the deal? i just want to view some instructions.

k
So.Cal.914
Here are some answers to Frequently Asked Questions for downloading
and printing PDF Files. You may wish to print this list.
1. How to download a PDF file to your Hard Drive.

2. How to enter user name and password for purchased e-booklets.

3. How to try a Free Sample download with a user name and password.

4. What to do if you need help downloading a purchased e-booklet.

5. Where to download the Free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

6. How to use Acrobat Reader to open your PDF file:

7. Some tips for printing PDF documents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How to download a PDF file to your Hard Drive:
For a PC, right click on the download link.
For a MAC, hold the control key and click on the download link. Or pause your cursor over the download link.

From the drop down menu which will appear, choose "Save Link As", "Save Target As", or "Save to Hard Drive". Then choose "Save to Desktop" or save in a folder of your choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. How to enter user name and password for purchased e-booklets:
Use all lower case letters and no quotation marks when typing your user name and password. Just type them as they were printed in lower case on the check out page from your order and on the confirmation e-mail you received after placing your order

3. How to try a Free Sample download with a user name and password:
Click below to download a PDF file for a children's free patriotic craft project. It is only 50k. It will download quickly and provide an easy way for you to practice downloading and opening PDF files which require a user name and password. The user name is "fun" and the password is "wands3". Both are typed in all lower case, no quotation marks. Click here to try this sample download for the Patriotic Wands Craft Project

4. What to do if you need help downloading a purchased e-booklet.
The PDF files for FunLessonPlans Theme Weeks are about 1MB each and will take about 6 minutes each to download. Click the "Contact Us" tab if you have a question or, if you wish, ask that we E-mail your PDF file to you.

5. Where to download the Free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
The Reader may already be on your computer.
If not, download the free Reader from Adobe.com
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

6. How to use Acrobat Reader to open your PDF file:

To Open: Double click the name of the PDF file and Acrobat Reader will open the document.
Another Way to Open: Open Acrobat Reader first. Go to File>Open. At the top where it says "Look In", browse to the PDF file on your computer and click on the PDF file name. The file name will appear in the space at the bottom. Click on the Open button.

7. Some tips for printing PDF documents:
All pages can be printed on either a color or a black and white printer. It is best to start out printing only about 4 pages at a time, so check your printer dialog box and fill in a range of pages 1-4, pages 5-8, etc. Some printers are set to reduce the size of PDF documents. Our Activity Sheets are designed to have only a 1/2" border, so in your printer's dialog box, just uncheck commands such as "Print to Fit Page", "Shrink to Fit", "Fit to Page", Permit Scaling", etc.

If your printed page does not match the picture on your computer screen, you can check the "Print as Image" box in your printer dialog box.

smile.gif
rhodyguy
thanks. i bet i can screw that up even better than my ignition. if you don't see me around for a few days, you'll know why. wink.gif

k
So.Cal.914
av-943.gif
Coy
PDFs are Portable Document Files developed by Adobe Systems as a solution to multiple word processing and graphics software incompatibilities. It's essentially a generic file format to present printed documents. It embeds all of the fonts and graphics so as to preserve the original layout. It's a pretty common format used in graphic design and the printing industry.

When you click the link you'll see the generic Microsoft operating system's "some files can harm your computer..." warning, but it is really one of the safest files to open, as it predominantly opens only in PDF viewers and editors and the viewer allows for only minimal scripting capabilities. For safety's sake you may generally avoid clicking hyperlinks inside PDF files. That way it cannot take advantage of any type of advanced scripting on another page or site.
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 5 2007, 12:05 PM) *

trying to click on a link, @ mallory's site to be exact, i get the "some files can harm your computer..." warning. i'm ask to open or save. i choose open. then the file gets saved in some temp file i can't find. so i save to a specific file and then the doc won't open. so what's the deal? i just want to view some instructions.

k

Kevin,
Do you have acrobat reader installed on your computer? If not, download the free reader here.

There is a good chance that you have more than once version of Acrobat Reader installed on your computer...this sometimes can cause problems like your describing. If you do, uninstall all versions, and then click the above link and it will automatically choose the right version for your computer for you to install...it's free.

When you click a pdf file it should just open...it should NOT ask you to open or save the file.

SLITS
It's an evil plot to get you to purchase the full version of Acrobat so you can send unreadable files to others who don't have Acrobat Reader.

It orginated in the deep dark bowels of the KGBs super secret cave in Siberia as a means of entertainment for the agents. They were amused at watching the Amerikans go crazy trying to print, let alone open the files.

rjames
agree.gif It's all true.

Acrobat Reader (or the pro version) frequently does not like to play well with Internet Explorer, or whatever flavor of browser you might be using. If you have Acrobat Reader installed already, the easiest thing would probably be to uninstall it and then go to Adobe's website and download the latest version.
Make sure that you reboot your computer before downloading and installing the latest version.

This will likely ensure that the install will correct any issues it may have had with Internet Explorer, and you'll get the latest version which should work error-free for a week or two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.