Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil change question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
balljoint
I just changed the oil in my wife's car 5.5l of 5W40 in an engine half the size of my truck's huh.gif . There is a counter in the car's computer that starts a dash light flashing at the interval mileage. Does anyone know if there is a way to shut it off without going to a dealership? (secret code? handshake? chant?)

BTW the oil filter for this 2.5l engine has it's own permanent plastic housing which unscrews and the filter (which has no casing) sits inside. Just the first time I have seen that so I thought it was weird (so did the dood at the parts counter at the VW dealer). smile.gif
Crazyhippy
Check VWvortex.com I'm sure someone makes a SES (service engine soon) light reset tool.

Finally a new idea for oil filters. Ford Did the fuel filters that way on the 7.3L Powerstrokes.

BJH
Aaron Cox
912's and 356's had a removable filter "element" which sat in a canister.....
rhcb914
The canister oil filters aren't uncommon. VW has done that for a while with the VR6. Mercedes and BMW have been using them for ages.

ws91420
Volvo, some GM use canister as well. Check owners manual for oil light reset.
Allan
There may be a simple way to reset the light. On my truck, you have to turn the key to the acc. position and pump the gas pedal , which will start the light to flash. Then you push the pedal one more time and it goes out.

This is on an US vehicle though. VW will probably want you to buy something to reset it.
3liter914-6
From the Vortex:

QUOTE(meanvw)
Service indicator can be reset without a VAG COM.
Here's how:
1. Keys out of ignition- press and hold in trip odometer reset button "0.0" on right hand side of display
2. Still holding this button down, insert key into ignition and put to the on position without starting the car.
3. Display will read "service now"
IPB Image
4. let go of the "0.0" button and depress the "m" button on the left hand side of the display. this will re-set the service reminder. There is no confirmation on the display other than the words "service now" will disappear.
IPB Image

You can confirm that the service reminder has been reset, or check how many miles/days remain until service at any time by taking key out of the ignition and holding in the trip reset "0.0" button for between 3 and 5 seconds. The MFD will display miles and hours until next service.

balljoint
Vortex looks like a good resource for the Rabbit. Not a lot of help on the Countach forum though so I may have to hold off on the oil change for the Lambo.

Thanks to all. stan.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.